Should Propellerheads Reason 10 Upgrade be free?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bxbrkrz

24 Oct 2017

Aosta wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Any thoughts?

How much do you lose from a product (RE) you bought years ago when it becomes free? I would say no more than the amount you spent on it years ago.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

devilfish

24 Oct 2017

Why not. Lifetime free Upgrades, like FL Studio ;)

platzangst

24 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
24 Oct 2017

No, Propellerhead shouldn't have made them free in R10. It's a bit of a slap in the face for people who already own them after they've paid good money for them and now they're free. Brilliant admittedly for those who haven't already got them but a bit of kick in the backside for those who already have them IMO.
I don't think of it in this way at all.

Those of us who paid for the now-included REs got the benefit of being able to use them long before anyone did who now buys R10 and gets them. (Plus they aren't exactly "free" since you're paying either full price or an upgrade to get to R10 in the first place.) One can divide the price of Radical Piano by the number of months one has had it and consider it an advance rental, if it makes one feel better. My point is, it's not as if owners of Radical Piano pre-R10 weren't getting some value out of it, unless perhaps they bought it but never actually used it.

joeyluck

24 Oct 2017

bxbrkrz wrote:
24 Oct 2017
How much do you lose from a product (RE) you bought years ago when it becomes free? I would say no more than the amount you spent on it years ago.
I've certainly gotten good use out of them all and they have paid for themselves.

But I think some people here assume that everyone that has these REs and ReFills purchased them when they were first released. But any and all of them could've been purchased at any time and some just before the announcement. I'm curious if there is a grace period for those who bought all or some of these items within the same window granted for purchasing Reason.

As an owner of Rad Piano, Synchronous, and the Soundiron ReFills, I'd probably be more ok with them simply giving them away to all Reason users; including owners of previous versions; versus pushing them as new content with a new version of Reason. Or as I mentioned previously in the thread, just give the users a choice in what they want to add to their Reason rack. Then nobody would care who is getting what and what they themselves already have (unless it's the user that has bought every RE in the shop). Then most everybody would feel like they were in fact getting a big content update.

scratchnsnifff

24 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
24 Oct 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Oct 2017
Not sure how many people actually watched this video before responding but I feel like stock music musician should re name the video to “should users get a discount for already owning synchronous and Radical piano” I can’t help but smell a salty attitude reading this :p in my opinion I can understand where people are coming from sure the value sorta remains the same, but I feel like if they include REs that many have obtained they should add a feature or two, nothing crazy but enough to give it a new appeal. Maybe a couple of reverb types and distortion types or give synchronous an envelope mode. Just a thought or two
He's mentioned in an earlier video about discounts too for anyone who owns the devices. Its his opinion or hope more so but it is a little bit controversial because being so close to release it can probably do more harm than good. At the end of the day Proppellerhead have bills to pay and peoples salaries to worry about and investors to please so pressure from a YouTuber, Forum, Customers or Feedback to them venting anger or frustration over the upgrade price will be heard but honestly there is crazy and then there's crazy. That's crazy talk... Just noise to fill content on the YouTube channel. Guess its working because there is more noise here talking about it and promoting the idea.
I totally agree with paying for their hours of work :) they do what they do in a very special way. Honestly it was their platform that really got me into making music. Over time this has made me much more appreciative of all sorts of music and just being able to pick up on these aspects of songs and movies is priceless lol i still am confused that we got free vst support! I would have easily paid for that alone :) il always support their work because it’s their work that inspires my creativity if that means paying for stock sample packs and a few synths il gladly fork it over
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

24 Oct 2017

On another note, I think the props have been absolutely killing it with the updates. I went from 5-8 and that jump was insane. And since 8.3 with the Rv7000 they have been splitting wigs left and right with their updates. Maybe this update is (obviously) for the new user, but also for us users who have been beating on our copies of Thor and malstrom :D maybe that’s just my way of seeing it but I’m stoked for tomorrow!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

O1B

24 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz

24 Oct 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
24 Oct 2017

He's mentioned in an earlier video about discounts too for anyone who owns the devices. Its his opinion or hope more so but it is a little bit controversial because being so close to release it can probably do more harm than good. At the end of the day Proppellerhead have bills to pay and peoples salaries to worry about and investors to please so pressure from a YouTuber, Forum, Customers or Feedback to them venting anger or frustration over the upgrade price will be heard but honestly there is crazy and then there's crazy. That's crazy talk... Just noise to fill content on the YouTube channel. Guess its working because there is more noise here talking about it and promoting the idea.
I totally agree with paying for their hours of work :) they do what they do in a very special way. Honestly it was their platform that really got me into making music. Over time this has made me much more appreciative of all sorts of music and just being able to pick up on these aspects of songs and movies is priceless lol i still am confused that we got free vst support! I would have easily paid for that alone :) il always support their work because it’s their work that inspires my creativity if that means paying for stock sample packs and a few synths il gladly fork it over
Months more likely, months of works... I paid for VST support and I'd be willing to pay for this upgrade about 50% more than the price it is. Got a lot out of it through beta. 10 sparks your creativity big time. My first DAW too.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Equalizer

24 Oct 2017

I'm not a new user, but Reason so far has been my only DAW. I predict a lot of you Reason-only users (like myself) will find yourself a new DAW in less than 5 years. And you'll either use it alongside Reason, or you'll slowly start using that DAW more than Reason with it eventually taking over your music making. I myself am slowly getting accustomed to Logic and Pro Tools. I can see myself using Reason less and less. I am starting to lose my patience with the Props, and my impatience has been turning to bitter annoyance. I see this happening to a lot of my Reason friends. Most of them have given up and switched to the big boys, with a few of them still keeping Reason around simply because they need to access their old songs. I know Propellerhead are aware of this - that older Reason users are outgrowing it and testing the waters. That's why they enabled VST support. Last chance gasp of air. And now they've devoted an entire update trying to get new sheep to join their flock.

5 Years - you'll find a new DAW and leave Reason behind. Just like I am starting to do. WATCH.

EnochLight

24 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
24 Oct 2017
5 Years - you'll find a new DAW and leave Reason behind.
Yes, we've all heard this one before. It's a great story, though. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sublunar

24 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
24 Oct 2017
5 Years - you'll find a new DAW and leave Reason behind. Just like I am starting to do. WATCH.
Well what are you waiting for; Why drag it out 5 years?

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
24 Oct 2017
I'm not a new user, but Reason so far has been my only DAW. I predict a lot of you Reason-only users (like myself) will find yourself a new DAW in less than 5 years. And you'll either use it alongside Reason
Why? Reason does 1000x more than it did just 6 years ago. Back then it was a virtual rack with fixed devices. Now the entire floor is open and there are hundreds of devices available to purchase.

I doubt that users who were happy with just the rack will leave the platform when it's now offering far more than any user would have imagined. I mean, we were just given VSTs. That means in the last year alone users have been given an exponential increase in capability that they had zero expectation for. It was one of the most requested features.

And given I was happy with Reason back in 2011 when it didn't have Rack Extensions, I am more than content with the option of VSTs, Rack Extensions, audio pitch editing, an exotic distortion and modulation palette, and now they're throwing in a well designed granular and spectral synth.

Errr, ... yeah I'm cool. I've spent a good year in Logic and a good year with hardware (MPC & Korg Triton). I'm cool with Reason, thanks.

vondersulzburg

24 Oct 2017

I think it is okay to pay for the 10. I agree with all the people that it would have been nice to get a discount for the PH RE you own. 10% for each would be fair.
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 11 Suite, LogicProX, FL-Studio, Live10Suite

platzangst

24 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
24 Oct 2017

I bought a Reaper license specifically to use VST devices I was interested in. Although Reason's VST implementation isn't flawless for some plugins, I find myself using Reaper much less, because I don't have to.

The only circumstances I can see where I'd leave Reason is if they simply went out of business, or they changed the program so radically that it wasn't Reason anymore. (Or they started charging 5 grand for an upgrade or something similarly ridiculous/improbable.)

Creativemind

24 Oct 2017

joeyluck wrote:
24 Oct 2017
But I think some people here assume that everyone that has these REs and ReFills purchased them when they were first released. But any and all of them could've been purchased at any time and some just before the announcement. I'm curious if there is a grace period for those who bought all or some of these items within the same window granted for purchasing Reason.
Good point, I wouldn't be a happy bunny if I'd only just purchased them, there needs to be a grace period for sure.
joeyluck wrote:
24 Oct 2017
As an owner of Rad Piano, Synchronous, and the Soundiron ReFills, I'd probably be more ok with them simply giving them away to all Reason users; including owners of previous versions; versus pushing them as new content with a new version of Reason. Or as I mentioned previously in the thread, just give the users a choice in what they want to add to their Reason rack. Then nobody would care who is getting what and what they themselves already have (unless it's the user that has bought every RE in the shop). Then most everybody would feel like they were in fact getting a big content update.
That wouldn't work for the props as in what they said in one of their live streams (if users could choose any Re) in that the Refills that developers could make not knowing what Re's people now have. With it being set...Radical Piano and Synchronous, refills and the like could be made knowing everybody on R10 or later now has them.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

24 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
24 Oct 2017
I'm not a new user, but Reason so far has been my only DAW. I predict a lot of you Reason-only users (like myself) will find yourself a new DAW in less than 5 years. And you'll either use it alongside Reason
I was using Logic Pro X today. That is such a lovely daw. If it wasn't for the fact it was Mac only I'd buy it and crack on and wait for Reason 12 when Reason has caught up.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

XysteR

24 Oct 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Paying for a upgrade is ok. But in the future i realy, really would think of buying a PH RE again. I payed for Pulsar, and they threw it in - money wasted. I payed for Radical Piano and Synchronious, and they threw it in - money wasted.

I think kind of discount for owners of those RE would be fair - otherwise i would only buy the upgrades in future and no RE or refills from PH. I expect they put Parsec and this new IDT thing into 11.
It's not really money wasted when you've had use of them for a long time - Well if you're anything like me you have. I have Pulsar, Radical piano and Syncronous. I've had my money worth from them in the years I've had use of them. I'm still buying Reason 10 without even thinking about it :D

Loque

24 Oct 2017

XysteR wrote:
24 Oct 2017
Loque wrote:
23 Oct 2017
Paying for a upgrade is ok. But in the future i realy, really would think of buying a PH RE again. I payed for Pulsar, and they threw it in - money wasted. I payed for Radical Piano and Synchronious, and they threw it in - money wasted.

I think kind of discount for owners of those RE would be fair - otherwise i would only buy the upgrades in future and no RE or refills from PH. I expect they put Parsec and this new IDT thing into 11.
It's not really money wasted when you've had use of them for a long time - Well if you're anything like me you have. I have Pulsar, Radical piano and Syncronous. I've had my money worth from them in the years I've had use of them. I'm still buying Reason 10 without even thinking about it :D
May be true. I don't need anything from R10, maybe from 10.5, but than i can wait until 11.
Reason12, Win10

Resonator

24 Oct 2017

brand

24 Oct 2017

Resonator wrote:
24 Oct 2017
:lol: :lol: :lol:

24 Oct 2017

Reason 10 is free. You just have to wait until 11 comes out.

$129 to upgrade from any version (including 1.0) to the latest? Sweet deal in my book. I'm still on 8.x. If I find I can justify an upgrade to 10 because I have some free time to use it - great. But maybe I'll wait until 11 and get a whole bunch of stuff for free.

Yes I bought rad ivories but, oh well, I did use it.

As for Logic - I own it and I don't like it. I consider it wasted money for me. I prefer Garageband but I like Reason way better than Garageband. If someone likes Logic better than Reason, why would they use Reason - I don't get it... Logic is arguably a better deal...

synaptyx

24 Oct 2017

Ffs. Props have to eat and support their families. This is their job. Do you* work for free?

*not YOU, but you over there with the entitled pout. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Reason 1

Josdams

24 Oct 2017

brand wrote:
24 Oct 2017
Resonator wrote:
24 Oct 2017
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This actually kills the entire stupid question hahahahahaha

synaptyx

24 Oct 2017

This upgrade is under $11 per month spread over a year. Get PayPal credit if you’re stuck for $129 now. [emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Reason 1

kitekrazy

24 Oct 2017

platzangst wrote:
24 Oct 2017
Equalizer wrote:
24 Oct 2017

I bought a Reaper license specifically to use VST devices I was interested in. Although Reason's VST implementation isn't flawless for some plugins, I find myself using Reaper much less, because I don't have to.

The only circumstances I can see where I'd leave Reason is if they simply went out of business, or they changed the program so radically that it wasn't Reason anymore. (Or they started charging 5 grand for an upgrade or something similarly ridiculous/improbable.)
Reaper is probably the only DAW I have were most VSTs work. I regret not going deep enough into Reaper. As for Reason I like how it is unique. The rack thing is cool.

• Information