Vibrato with pre-delay and ramp up, how?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oberlai

04 Oct 2017

Hi all, there's something I'm trying to do in Reason, without automation, as I'd rather have a self-contained instrument.

I want a CV signal to use for vibrato, but I want to delay its start about 1 sec. Then I want to gradually ramp up the vibrato from zero to full effect within 1 sec. So all of this over 2 sec, just as an example. It doesn't actually have to be exactly 1+1 sec, but I want an environment where I can control these durations somewhat.

I don't care if I have to use LFOs from multiple synths to do this, as long as I can avoid automation.

Is this possible to do? I guess I simply don't know enough about Reason to do it. I know that Subtractor has a delay function that works with vibrato, but there's no ramp up. And I've tried to use a ADSR for ramp up to control another ADSR that does vibrato, which does work in Sylenth1, but in Reason the signals are combined, so you'll hear the vibrato from the start. Unless there's a trick with the CV throttles or something...

Any help would be appreciated, and the simpler solution, the better. Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by Oberlai on 04 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

04 Oct 2017

Oberlai wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Hi all, there's something I'm trying to do in Reason, without automation, as I'd rather have a self-contained instrument.

I want an instrument with vibrato, and I want the vibrato to start after about 1 sec. but not into full vibrato, I want it to ramp up from zero to full within 1 sec. So all of this over 2 sec, just as an example. It doesn't actually have to be 1+1 sec, but I want an environment where I can control these durations somewhat.

I don't care if I have to use LFOs from multiple synths to do this, as long as I can avoid automation.

Is this possible to do? I guess I simply don't know enough about Reason to do it. I know that Subtractor has a delay function that works with vibrato, but there's no ramp up. And I've tried to use a ADSR for ramp up to control another ADSR that does vibrato, which does work in Sylenth1, but in Reason the signals are combined, so you'll hear the vibrato from the start. Unless there's a trick with the CV throttles or something...

Any help would be appreciated, and the simpler solution, the better. Many thanks in advance.
Not sure I understand one aspect 100% - Reason synths do what you describe (Subtractor, NN-XT, Thor, Parsec, and now Europa and Grain). Subtractor's vibrato 'delay' IS a ramp up, but if you're using a slower rate you may not hear it with shorter settings (IMO it's mis-named 'delay').

For what you describe you need an envelope with a "delay" and an "attack" stage - as far as I can see Sylenth1 doesn't have the delay stage so not sure how you're getting this in Sylenth1.

If what you want is a delay followed by an attack, you can get that with Thor by scaling the LFO with the Global Env (one of the few Reason devices with a "delay" stage on an envelope).

And of course, you can also use a mod wheel to control vibrato precisely as you play (though I'm guessing this is not what you're wanting in this case, but thought it worth mentioning).
Selig Audio, LLC

Oberlai

04 Oct 2017

Thank you for your reply, selig. In Sylenth1, this can be achieved by controlling an LFO with a ADSR env, you route the ADSR to the LFO, so that the LFO gives vibrato while an ADSR ramps it up with a slow attack. I haven't been able to do the same in Reason because it reacts to that situation differently, it just combines the signals.

What you mentioned with Thor, I'll give it a go, see if I can make it work. What about Pulsar, you'd think if they make an LFO unit, it would be able to do this? Unfortunately I haven't read the manual about this device.

Regarding Subtractor's LFO2 delay, the manual doesn't mention that it ramps up after it kicks in, but it might very well do that, haven't tested it extensively.

Btw this is very easy to do in Sytrus (my current go-to) where the LFOs are very flexible, with delay and rampup perfectly adjustable. I'm considering a comeback to Reason, but this is the sort of thing I have to find out if I can do or not, beforehand :)

• Information