Close song without exit? (Windows)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Fotu

05 Aug 2017

For 9.5 on Windows 10: Is there way to close the last open song without completely exiting Reason, e.g., revert to equivalent of 'New' on close? Or a workaround that others use?

In some of my work I'm often opening and closing a number of songs and I'd like to avoid having to relaunch the app if I close the last open song. I can keep a 'dummy' new song also open as a workaround, but curious if others have a better way, or I'm missing something obvious.

Oquasec

05 Aug 2017

file menu I think
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

chimp_spanner

05 Aug 2017

No, as far as I know. The multi project thing is great but really Reason could benefit from having a main title bar that's open even if no project is. Oddly enough Cubase has that even though there's zero benefit to it.

AttenuationHz

05 Aug 2017

I couldn't agree more. I'm often left bewildered as to why I keep making this mistake also. There needs to be an option to exit reason instead of the closing last opened project exits. I often just delete everything in a template song and minimise the window so there is a project keeping Reason open when trying to remember what project I'm looking for. Does w10 desktops allow you to move an opened window to a separate desktop away from alt tab?

If there was a way for Reasons browser to play/preview projects before opening there would be no need to project surf!
I don't do this myself because its a pain in the butt and consumes data. If you export the audio for project files after you decide to put a pin in them and keep them in the one folder that could be another way around it. If there was mp3 export I probably would do this myself!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

06 Aug 2017

It seems to be the way it's done these days (although Reason was a very early adopter ;) )

Microsoft Office, for one, also no longer has a document "shell" window. At least in previous versions of Windows, these separate documents for programs like Office or Reason were held in separate tabs on the taskbar. In Win 10, they're all stored as sub-tabs under a single program tab, which makes switching between docs unnecessarily more difficult, as you have to open the sub-tab, and then work out which of tiny windows is the one you want to switch to :shock: .

But back to Reason, the best workaround is just to hit "New" before closing the last open songfile.

I agree though, that "Close" should automatically open New when no other songfile is open; Close is supposed to be a document level command, "Exit" the program level one.

Fotu

06 Aug 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
06 Aug 2017
...Microsoft Office, for one, also no longer has a document "shell" window.
I have to disagree... When (for example) I use Word 2016 / Win10 with a document open, I have a choice under File of 'Exit' which terminates the entire app and 'Close' which closes the current document but leaves the app open. Ditto for pretty much every other Windows document or project based app I use. So my preference would be 'Close' in Reason doesn't terminate the entire app, but instead leaves a shell or a 'new' song still running.

Not a big deal, but as a relatively new Reason user I was curious if I missed something here since it's pretty odd Windows behavior.

Marc64

06 Aug 2017

Didn't older reason versions til 5 or so have that you could close a project and reason stil remained open?

jappe

06 Aug 2017

Marc64 wrote:
06 Aug 2017
Didn't older reason versions til 5 or so have that you could close a project and reason stil remained open?
I remember some discussion on our about this topic, I think they changed the behavior.
Perhaps it was to align it with some common codebase for Mac's somehow?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

07 Aug 2017

Fotu wrote:
06 Aug 2017
JiggeryPokery wrote:
06 Aug 2017
...Microsoft Office, for one, also no longer has a document "shell" window.
I have to disagree... When (for example) I use Word 2016 / Win10 with a document open, I have a choice under File of 'Exit' which terminates the entire app and 'Close' which closes the current document but leaves the app open.

Sorry, you're right, I'd not noticed that before: after 10 years of Office 2007, I only upgraded last month. And I wish I hadn't, cos I bloody hate the new File "menu", the one that takes you out of the document entirely and makes it twice as hard to actually save and load (although I quite like the pinned doc list).

(And while I'm at it, I bloody hate the way the title bar doesn't fade to grey when the window isn't active; the title text goes a marginally less white shade of white, but the title bar remains green. So it always looks active. Software design is now officially in retrograde)

Le Boeuf

07 Aug 2017

It works the way you are explaining, on a Mac system. So Strange that it cant apply to a Windows os.

xylyx

07 Aug 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
05 Aug 2017
Does w10 desktops allow you to move an opened window to a separate desktop away from alt tab?
The Task View button on the taskbar allows you to do this (right click on the taskbar if it's not visible and check the "Show Task View button" option). Then click on this and you can add other desktops and drag open windows onto whichever desktop you want. There is an article here if you need it:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2952864/ ... ktops.html

• Information