Now that Reason 9.5 gets VST support, time for an analysis!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

28 Apr 2017

It’s funny how many times Propellerhead has said “we will never do that”. It takes them a bit of time, often a couple of years but eventually they will add it to Reason. Simply because the users can’t be ignored, they want these features, they NEED them! MIDI out, audio recording and VST support, anyone could easily predict that one day the Props would add these features to Reason. It was just a matter of time.

And I know a lot of people who said to me: "no the Props will never do that". But they were wrong every time. Weird how very predictable this all is to some of us and not to others, not even to Propellerhead, right?

Time for an analysis. Check my blog:
http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/reason-9-5-vst-analysis/

Pralijah

28 Apr 2017

They will never bring us video-support! ;)

Seems to be a good formula for getting what we want.

I think we will see both Combinator II and video support.

It will open up a whole new creative world of possibilities.

But also I think they ponder alot on ways to improve using Reason Live and as a jamming tool.
The players are one step towards that. And with sync to tablets and smartphones, it will be more fun than ever.
And the blocks might develop in ways simular to Ableton...or something else.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

centomila

28 Apr 2017

Nice article... I agree with almost everything except this part :p
But most importantly: why do the Props put so much of their precious time into developing something that is already working perfectly fine for so many users? The VST format has been the golden standard for years. THE industry standard. Wake up Sweden! Well they did now.
I don't think RE as a "waste of time". They've already created an SDK for internal use and they open it to others while jumping in the marketplace business model. Marketplaces with user generated content made rich Apple with iTunes, Epic with the Unreal Engine, Envato with "stuff"... It was a winning bet for me :). Maybe not with the success they've excepted, but has been good for the Reason community and PH itself.

esselfortium

28 Apr 2017

Pralijah wrote:I think we will see both Combinator II and video support.
I think there are some free VSTs that might help a bit with syncing a song to video :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Karim
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

Pralijah wrote:They will never bring us video-support! ;)

Seems to be a good formula for getting what we want.

I think we will see both Combinator II and video support.

It will open up a whole new creative world of possibilities.

But also I think they ponder alot on ways to improve using Reason Live and as a jamming tool.
The players are one step towards that. And with sync to tablets and smartphones, it will be more fun than ever.
And the blocks might develop in ways simular to Ableton...or something else.
One day, In 2025 maybe we will have Video Support. Guarantee! :thumbs_up:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

sublunar

28 Apr 2017

I tried the VST chasing game for a few years. It got REALLY OLD. When Reason FINALLY added audio recording, that was all I needed to switch. Never found inspiration from other DAWs. Hate their workflows. I tried Pro Tools and didn't even give it a week. Not fun to use.

I Don't use VSTs. Don't need VSTs*. But it's cool that Reason now supports them. All Reason needs now is a waveform editor, ala Adobe Audition.

*Only exception being Arturia products, but they're full fledged standalone products and can be routed through my audio interface to Reason's inputs, so it's just like any other external instrument. I've never found another VST that I couldn't live without.

rudiarii

28 Apr 2017

A basic video player is avaiable and will work in Reason 9.5...it is beta BTW...

http://vidplayvst.com/index.htm
"dont let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold" Incubus

CharlyCharlzz

28 Apr 2017

Yep pretty bipolar ways , I predict cpu's to melt but I can't say that I predicted this , I did want it but it was too much to ask and it was like going to war with the fanboys .
yep I will never trust Propellerhead ever again but I will Buy a Upgrade I think , long time I have not .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

LatinFlavour

08 May 2017

I've heard complains about other DAW crashing. Reason has been so stable and I wonder if VST support could add instability and make Reason crash? If it doesn't then it could quickly become a superior DAW

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

theshoemaker

08 May 2017

LatinFlavour wrote:I've heard complains about other DAW crashing. Reason has been so stable and I wonder if VST support could add instability and make Reason crash? If it doesn't then it could quickly become a superior DAW

The DAW is not the problem when a crash occurs. It's the executing code aka VST. Props have proven to deliver solid quality when it comes to stability, so as advertised in the video by Ernst I'm sure the implementation is quite solid. What they can't do as with REs, is provide as rocksolid sandbox. In VST land the code can freely allocate new memory and do what he wants to. Generally in a sandbox you are restricted to certain ways on how you can do that, so that the hosting environment can monitor the memory. With this architecture in place you can prevent carashes to pull your system down. Ever seen an RE crash? That's fine. Reason still works rock solid. Just your RE is gone.

When a VST crashes ... you might be out of luck and your working progress is gone ... Using a VST just means, you are fine with having a crash and loose your working progress, if the plugin you choose is poorly developed. VST doesn't mean instability, but it can. With great power comes great responsibility Peter ... choose wisely :P
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Gulale

08 May 2017

I have said it time and time again VST doesn't crash a DAW. Bad plugin does crash a DAW. And Reason is not going to be unstable cause my other DAWs have never been unstable either. If they were unstable, I wouldn't give them a single time no matter what. So, Reason is not going to be unstable.
Gulale aka Bereket

LatinFlavour

09 May 2017

I formulated a question based on observation and experience with implementation of third party software API etc. My industry is a little different, I do custom embedded system software design, and in my experience there's always issues with integration of software from different parties. It may not be the case for Propellerheads but there's only one way to find out. By testing it and trying it out.

• Information