Compressors: M-Class vs. Comp01

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
HepCat

18 Jan 2017

Why does the Comp01 compressor exist as a Reason stock device, when the M-Class compressor is also a stock device?

ScuzzyEye

18 Jan 2017

Because the Comp01 came first, and was preserved for backward compatibility. That why the Line6 thing was such a shock. All previous devices were always available in newer versions of Reason.

esselfortium

18 Jan 2017

For the same reason Subtractor is still available even though Thor exists. There's the compatibility issue ScuzzyEye mentioned, but also the inherent differences in usability and sonic character between different compressors, hence why there are countless different types of compressors in the shop. I don't use it often, but I've found Comp-01 to be surprisingly good at beefing up drums.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2017

Yep, Comp-01 is indeed an odd duck and hard to understand what is going on but when you get it set right it does a cool job. M-Class is far more predictable tho.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Galaxy

18 Jan 2017

Comp 01 slams harder, has auto makeup gain, and no side chain input. Different tools for different jobs.

Insisting on getting rid of it is like saying we have pineapple as a color now let's get rid of yellow and orange.

HepCat

19 Jan 2017

Thanks everybody.
Galaxy wrote:Insisting on getting rid of it is like saying we have pineapple as a color now let's get rid of yellow and orange.
By the way, who was insisting on getting rid of it?

Soft Enerji

19 Jan 2017

HepCat wrote: By the way, who was insisting on getting rid of it?
Yup...............who did?

normen

19 Jan 2017

Compressors are much more different from device to device than say EQs which basically all do the same thing. Its good to have a few of them to check which works best with the source material at hand.

Galaxy

19 Jan 2017

HepCat wrote:Thanks everybody.
Galaxy wrote:Insisting on getting rid of it is like saying we have pineapple as a color now let's get rid of yellow and orange.
By the way, who was insisting on getting rid of it?
Nobody, just making a point. I didn't quote you, sry if I implied otherwise.

deepndark

21 Jan 2017

Indeed, it's like thinking why there's oranges, but also mandarins. I must say that I also like sometimes using it over M-class.

• Information