9.1 is here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

14 Sep 2016

Is the Link thing the only thing that's been added in 9.1?
Last edited by Creativemind on 14 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Olivier

14 Sep 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
eauhm wrote:I'm curious, I can't find this anywhere yet, which ports I should open up in my firewall to get this working ? Any propellerhead able to comment on that ?
There are no specific ports, mine is configured to allow all TCP and UDP connections (on the private network). The port number is probably negociated on the fly (not 100% sure, but in any case I don't have any specific port rules in my firewall).
I'll read through the link sdk... i'm lazy :P
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Marco Raaphorst

14 Sep 2016

Not sure if most people know this but Figure already had Link. Figure and Reason is a nice combo :)

pushedbutton

14 Sep 2016

I installed the novation launchpad app on my ipad 2 and was Ableton linked in seconds. Then I got an email, closed the launchpad app and Reason crashed.
I wasn't planning on using Ableton Link much anyhow, but I'm sure it's lovely.
Hopefully midi ghost lanes are just around the corner to making pitch editing my dreadful vocals a little faster.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

kuhliloach

14 Sep 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:I am so not excited by this... Am i the only one....
Nope you are not the only one. My long list of hope and desires was completely ignored in 9.1. I'm not against Ableton Link just worried that this is how Propellerheads are spending their time and resources. Seeing those guys in that video depressed me to be honest.

EdGrip

14 Sep 2016

Aside - does this mean one could open up two instances of Reason, Link them, and treat them as an A and B deck?

pushedbutton

14 Sep 2016

EdGrip wrote:Aside - does this mean one could open up two instances of Reason, Link them, and treat them as an A and B deck?
No, everyone knows opening two instances of Reason creates a rift in the space-time continuum and makes the busses late. It's a banned practice.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote:can this actually make a song better?
That depends on who you're collaborating with.

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

EdGrip wrote:Aside - does this mean one could open up two instances of Reason, Link them, and treat them as an A and B deck?
If you can open two instances of Reason on one computer (you can't on OSX), then yes. But you don't need two instances, you can sync any Song files in a single instance of Reason.

Abstrax

14 Sep 2016

dioxide wrote:
Abstrax wrote:can this actually make a song better?
That depends on who you're collaborating with.
Assuming there's no sarcasm in your response... let's say you have an amazing collaboration. Linked with an iPad running some audio app. The devices are still separated right? I mean, I would have to set up a convoluted work around in order for that audio to end up in the project I am working on. What's the advantage to this? Reason isn't really a live performance tool like Ableton is.

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote:Linked with an iPad running some audio app. The devices are still separated right? I mean, I would have to set up a convoluted work around in order for that audio to end up in the project I am working on. What's the advantage to this? Reason isn't really a live performance tool like Ableton is.
It's simple enough to run audio from one computer to another, it isn't a convoluted workaround to run audio from one computer into another or to output both into a mixer. That is no different to any hardware collaboration, a way to blend the audio is necessary. Link is not a replacement for Rewire, it solves a different problem.

Reason can be used live and I use it standalone for live sets. Of course Reason doesn't do everything but that is why you might want to use other software. Link allows you to do that without the sync problems inherent in USB MIDI Clock, which you will encounter if you try this. Link makes Reason a lot more of a live tool than it was before 9.1.

dioxide

14 Sep 2016

The Serato public beta including Link is available should anyone want to try it.
https://serato.com/forum/area/705

Luxuria

14 Sep 2016

I personally do not see this update as a step in the right direction. While many have pointed out; the video shows a sense of collaboration with both CEO's of the companies working together, but why should that take precedence over numerous other areas of progress and innovation?

Having seen an article on MusicRadar highlighting this new feature, it paints a different picture than the one that is here. Yes Reason received an update called "9.1" and yes it allowed devices to better communicate with one another, but from my perspective it didn't enhance the "Reason ecosystem". What I mean by that is, Ableton Link is Ableton's product. MusicRadar, and I assume any other music tech news outlet will promote it as that. Ableton made Link open source for other companies to integrate into there own products. Thank them more so for this update not PH. Reason so happened to take that source code and patch it into there own. Has anyone noticed that Reason is the only other DAW at this moment to embrace this?? Every other company produces software instruments for mobile.(I'm considering MPC's software not a DAW) For users like me who are on previous versions of Reason, 8.3, I am not swayed at all to upgrade. This update hurts more than helps that.

I want PH to be competitive with their product. I want them to stride to create a DAW that many flock to, as does any business hoping to make money. I'm not asking for them to become the next Pro Tools, but to move back into the professional domain that was seen back in the early 2000's. Fix what needs to be fixed from users input, and actually implement numerous features requested by its community. Stop shelling out updates like they are Apple, making us sheep hoping and questioning, "maybe Reason 9.5,10, etc.. will add PDC or updated editing and sequencer functions and etc...."

I'll catch myself before I get anymore off track. By no means am I angry, simply upset that I will continue to hear people say "When it first came out Reason was ahead of its time, but now, now they can barely keep up." This update proves that in my eyes. If that's the pace PH want to go at, more power to them.

kloeckno

14 Sep 2016

To people complaining about this update and how PH are spending their development time, how long do you think it took them to implement? Reason 9 was only released a few months ago, and they also included some bug fixes in the 9.1 update. I don't see the problem. They will almost surely have another point update soon with more new features.

It's a bit self centered to complain about a feature that simply doesn't apply to your own personal requests. Especially if a lot of other people are benefiting from it, and this thread is proof many Reason users are already enjoying it.

ProfessaKaos

14 Sep 2016

EnochLight wrote:
ProfessaKaos wrote:So this update just made the performance of Reason on my Windows 10 system worst again. The first Reason 9 version ran for 3 seconds less than Reason 8.3 with the stress test file, now the stress test file runs for 7 seconds less than the first version of Reason 9.
This really sucks balls.
I'm getting a few seconds less performance than the release of 9.0. Honestly, I don't care. Several seconds to 10 seconds less under the previous version, with this new feature (Link), is an acceptable loss for me.

But if this trend continues, we could be talking tens of seconds less performance by the time the rest of the "point" updates appear, or when version 10 appears. Now *THAT* will suck!
My problem is that when I upgraded to Reason 9 songs that were struggling to play in Reason 8 stop playing in Reason 9, so I reduced the amount of devices used in them so they would play and now they don't play again.
They really need to address this, sounds like I'm whinging but it needs to be addressed.

JCBendock

15 Sep 2016

Has any one tried using Abelton link on 2 different faders in the ssl mixer? It would be awesome to turn 2 faders down at the same time.( Sorry for the sarcasm I should probably be in bed now) okay maybe one more....Thanks Abelton for making reason a better app.

gak

15 Sep 2016

So, is this the only thing? Or are there release notes that show other improvements?

jam-s

15 Sep 2016

Yes just link and a few bug fixes:

Reason 9.1 Release Notes

* Added support for Ableton Link
* Fixed a bug where Reason could hang during a bounce operation while in MIDI sync mode
* Fixed a bug where a rack device would sometimes not scroll into view when selected in the sequencer
* Fixed a bug where notes in Scales & Chords could hang

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/up ... ease-notes

unisyn

15 Sep 2016

Yeah, I was a bit put off by this "9.1" update.
Hoped to see something else, like customizable themes.

But, from a software dev perspective, naming it 9.1 does make sense,
since it indeed is adding a complete new functionality, be it inside or outside of the Reason ecosystem

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

15 Sep 2016

Thanks for all the feedback! Link is useful in more cases than one might think at first, here's a couple I've used it for:
  • Syncing two Reason documents on the same computer
  • Syncing Reason and Live (and any other future desktop app with Link) on the same computer for production or live purposes. For example, it can be used for the writing process and then you export stems as the final step.
  • Adding new sounds to Reason via iOS apps. Just connect your iPhone/iPad to your audio interface's audio input and you can easily record sequences that are in time with your song if the app supports Link. I often find that I make melodies, small loops and sounds in apps that I wouldn't have made in Reason due to how used I am to the workflow.
  • Playing together with friends, live or in the studio.
pushedbutton wrote:I installed the novation launchpad app on my ipad 2 and was Ableton linked in seconds. Then I got an email, closed the launchpad app and Reason crashed.
I wasn't planning on using Ableton Link much anyhow, but I'm sure it's lovely.
Hopefully midi ghost lanes are just around the corner to making pitch editing my dreadful vocals a little faster.
We have not found or received any reports of Reason crashing so please get in touch with support with as much info as possible, especially if you can recreate this. Thanks!
ProfessaKaos wrote:My problem is that when I upgraded to Reason 9 songs that were struggling to play in Reason 8 stop playing in Reason 9, so I reduced the amount of devices used in them so they would play and now they don't play again.
They really need to address this, sounds like I'm whinging but it needs to be addressed.
If you have songs that worsen in performance in Reason 9.1 with all other settings the same (i.e. you're not in Link mode, you haven't changed your audio interface buffer size and so on), please get in touch with support with as much information as possible so we can investigate. :)

Marco Raaphorst

15 Sep 2016

MattiasHG wrote: [*] Syncing Reason and Live (and any other future desktop app with Link) on the same computer for production or live purposes. For example, it can be used for the writing process and then you export stems as the final step.
Is there a way to disable ReWire?

When you want to run Reason and Live, you need to start Reason first and then Live.

Still makes me want to scream and shout that I want Reason to be able to run as Rewire Master! Most. Wanted. Feature. 9.2? Do it!

dioxide

15 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote: Is there a way to disable ReWire?
I think this is possible (although haven't tried it):
to disable rewire slave mode in Logic/OSX you need to write

-ReWireChannels=0

in options.txt. (not "-ReWireSlaveOff")
Have a read through this thread:
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25471

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

15 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
MattiasHG wrote: [*] Syncing Reason and Live (and any other future desktop app with Link) on the same computer for production or live purposes. For example, it can be used for the writing process and then you export stems as the final step.
Is there a way to disable ReWire?

When you want to run Reason and Live, you need to start Reason first and then Live.

Still makes me want to scream and shout that I want Reason to be able to run as Rewire Master! Most. Wanted. Feature. 9.2? Do it!
Most applications have a way to disable ReWire, I think Live allows you to put a .txt file somewhere with some info but I'm unsure. I recommend checking with Ableton! Or simply starting Reason first like you said of course. ;)

Goriila Texas

15 Sep 2016

Is audio past back and forth thru link?

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2016

I'm sure the Reason help documentation states that hitting play in Reason starts the link device(s) but that's not the case with me. They are linked and will play in time but it involves hitting start separately.
If I remember correctly the latest (rather good) Computer Music Producer Masterclass featuring matey from the Freemasons used Ableton Link and he had to hit play to get the iPad going.
Am I missing something?

Grum.

• Information