Refill searches - what am I doing wrong?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CaptainBlack

10 Sep 2016

I load an old song and it can't find the samples from a refill because i must have moved them. So I point it at exactly where the refill is in the browser and then it proceeds to scan my whole computer when it right there in front of it. Is it just me? :?:

Loque

10 Sep 2016

This is most anyoing and slow sh!t in Reason. Never forget to set the song options to include the samples! I mean, its like i would save the song on a 2.5" floppy...

Good luck to find the samples...
Reason12, Win10

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

11 Sep 2016

CaptainBlack wrote:I load an old song and it can't find the samples from a refill because i must have moved them. So I point it at exactly where the refill is in the browser and then it proceeds to scan my whole computer when it right there in front of it. Is it just me? :?:
You need to actually be inside the ReFill folder; if you point it at the ReFill then technically you're in the folder the ReFill is in, so it will rightly assume you want to search all that folder. Double-click into the ReFill so the browser is in the ReFill before searching. That's the bit you may be doing wrong. Provided you know the product the sample is in, Replace samples is very quick if the browser is pointing to the right place. Run it more than once if searching for multiple ReFills, opening each relevant ReFill one by one, rather than the ReFill root and having to wait while goes thru all of them, cos that's a batch if the samples are in your Zero-G ReFill, and all the others are called Aardvark 1... Aardvark 3... Aarvark 70. ;)

Secondly, however, there is a bug which I pointed out to PH but so far I've had no confirmation back from them. I found that, for me anyway, NN-19 samples are never relocated by Missing Sounds if the relative path is lost, and that sometimes that path can get lost if opening an R8 song in R9 even when the ReFill hasn't been moved. I can be in the folder where it's the only sample present and the find sample function won't locate it if it's for NN-19, nor will it allow me to replace it if it's doesn't list the ReFill name.

There's also a major design flaw in which the R8+ browser system doesn't allow multiple samples to be replaced, which is a massive problem if a) Missing Sounds doesn't contain the ReFill name, and b) the patch has more than 1 sample. (cf a Reason Pianos patch ;) ). Even PH themselves use Reason 7 to workaround this, instead of replacing one sample at a time!

• Information