Players

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How do you feel about the players

Like them all
67%
Like some more than others
29%
Do not like any of them
5%

Total votes: 63
adamf

22 Jun 2016

just downloaded....too early just yet. So far everything has been seemless. :D

groggy1

22 Jun 2016

Ok, I just spent a few hours with Chords & Scales - it's perfect.

I LOVE the "open chord" switch, it's just brilliant. It really makes chords sound great, compared to my own chord playing (I usually play chords in 1 or two octaves, and doesn't sound as good).

Anyway, I just kept taking all my old patches, and playing them with Chords Player, and it really felt like new sounds. Love it.

GRIFTY

23 Jun 2016

- - - - - - -
Last edited by GRIFTY on 23 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

plaamook

23 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:CV was too limited for what they was aiming for with the players since it's 1. based on using CV which is 2. monophonic. RPG8 is a great device, but dual arp takes it one step further, even more if you ask me, because it's not based on trying to work with CV implementation, like things as AutoTheory, which works with micro latencies to achieve a chord. It opens up Reason for some new tools and creative combinations, working on the note input to an instrument, rather than trying to generates notes by using CV. It's also more intuitive, to me anyway. It also allows for finally being able to send the notes to track in a convenient way.

So, to "get the point" you have to understand where the differences are, which benefits and limitations they bring and that your beloved ways with CV/Matrix or whatever it is are still here. ;)
Yeah, I sort of figured it had somethingto do with moving beyond CV's but the internal structuring of it is beyond me. That you can load em into Combi's is enough. We'll see. To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm complaining about, I probably won't use em much anyway what with how I'm working these days.

But while we're on it, is there any reason CV has to be mono? Could the NNXT not have multiple CV in's? Surely if you can play a chord it can take multiple CV in's.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Electric-Metal

23 Jun 2016

GRIFTY wrote:wait, can we not automate parameters on these players? i want to automate the inversion knob, is that possible?
They're all automatable but Not key-mapped AFAIK.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

GRIFTY

23 Jun 2016

yeah they're automatable. i messed up and had it switched off.........

Ahornberg

23 Jun 2016

plaamook wrote:
tibah wrote:CV was too limited for what they was aiming for with the players since it's 1. based on using CV which is 2. monophonic. RPG8 is a great device, but dual arp takes it one step further, even more if you ask me, because it's not based on trying to work with CV implementation, like things as AutoTheory, which works with micro latencies to achieve a chord. It opens up Reason for some new tools and creative combinations, working on the note input to an instrument, rather than trying to generates notes by using CV. It's also more intuitive, to me anyway. It also allows for finally being able to send the notes to track in a convenient way.

So, to "get the point" you have to understand where the differences are, which benefits and limitations they bring and that your beloved ways with CV/Matrix or whatever it is are still here. ;)
Yeah, I sort of figured it had somethingto do with moving beyond CV's but the internal structuring of it is beyond me. That you can load em into Combi's is enough. We'll see. To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm complaining about, I probably won't use em much anyway what with how I'm working these days.

But while we're on it, is there any reason CV has to be mono? Could the NNXT not have multiple CV in's? Surely if you can play a chord it can take multiple CV in's.
there's also PolyCV invented by Blamsoft :thumbs_up:

8cros

23 Jun 2016

Ahornberg wrote:there's also PolyCV invented by Blamsoft :thumbs_up:
Are you sure that it works? You mean a CV breakout box?
I just did not get a signal from it. I enjoyed Lektric Panda. :? (MoPol)
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Ahornberg

23 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:
I just did not get a signal from it. I enjoyed Lektric Panda. :?
yes ... try out the attached reason song
Attachments
poly cv.zip
(120.53 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Ahornberg

23 Jun 2016

Players remind me on on Numerology http://www.five12.com/

8cros

23 Jun 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
8cros wrote:
I just did not get a signal from it. I enjoyed Lektric Panda. :?
yes ... try out the attached reason song
I see that you have two instruments connected.
But when I repeat the same thing with one, then I get monophonic cv. I usually need multiple inputs and one output. This is possible with MoPol.
At least I got the signal at the output, it works. Thank you.
Probably it will be useful in the future.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Noise
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2016

So.. about this players:

I can replicate them very easily with the following ingredients:

---------------------------
AutoTheory
[ RPG-8 x 2 ( or 3 for triple Arp, go wild! ) ]
[ MoPol + Synth Of Choice ]
-----------------------------
I'm I missing something. Wondering about this update, since we have already the tools to build this.

BluePrint attached :puf_bigsmile:
Attachments
Players_For_The_Poor.jpg
Players_For_The_Poor.jpg (779.67 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

groggy1

23 Jun 2016

Noise wrote:So.. about this players:

I can replicate them very easily with the following ingredients:

---------------------------
AutoTheory
[ RPG-8 x 2 ( or 3 for triple Arp, go wild! ) ]
[ MoPol + Synth Of Choice ]
-----------------------------
I'm I missing something. Wondering about this update, since we have already the tools to build this.

BluePrint attached :puf_bigsmile:

You're right, you can often do things in Reason in different ways, especially with REs. But some thoughts:
1) It's hard to do inversions "on the fly" in AutoTheory (at least I don't know how :)) When I feed "Chords & Scales" into DualArp, there's a simple knob to do inversions, and it's automatable.

2) Whatever pattern you build, you can "Send to track". This is amazing, as you can tweak a few notes to add variation. That's not supported for REs, so Players is a step up.

Anyway, I generally agree with you that it's not some monumental new thing - but it is a bit of a step forward.

Tumble

23 Jun 2016

groggy1 wrote:

You're right, you can often do things in Reason in different ways, especially with REs. But some thoughts:
1) It's hard to do inversions "on the fly" in AutoTheory (at least I don't know how :)) When I feed "Chords & Scales" into DualArp, there's a simple knob to do inversions, and it's automatable.

2) Whatever pattern you build, you can "Send to track". This is amazing, as you can tweak a few notes to add variation. That's not supported for REs, so Players is a step up.

Anyway, I generally agree with you that it's not some monumental new thing - but it is a bit of a step forward.
Yes, the implementation is actually quite good. Other chord tools I can think of just transpose the input without providing you with the correct MIDI information.

iramrezso

23 Jun 2016

Scales&Chords doesn't seem to support sus4 and sus2 chords.

Yonatan

24 Jun 2016

I must say that the Players are very compelling for my eyes, really like its visual and creative user design. It inspires and feels like "playing", and not as "work", and what more can one wish for?.

Soft Enerji

24 Jun 2016

I've been having a blast with them all this evening but nowhere near got my head around any of 'em. Superb and quite an original addition IMHO.

I put Scales and Chords on one element in a track I'd kinda gone stale on and it's breathed new life into the whole thing.

Between the latest Sonar update and now Reason 9 I think I'm becoming inspired and might manage to pull myself out of the block I've been in for a while..........

Yonatan

24 Jun 2016

iramrezso wrote:Scales&Chords doesn't seem to support sus4 and sus2 chords.
No, I have not been able to figure sus chords out either. It is a most vital chord and should not be complete without it.
And overall, I would want to have more options in the two tones selection, so one could get any interval to play around with. Now its just set as a perfect fifth. I want to have all the other intervals too. I want to be able to have more control over this device.

Olivier

24 Jun 2016

Scales and chords are probably my favorite.. So easy to do stuff like this :

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

ARAlife

24 Jun 2016

eauhm wrote:Scales and chords are probably my favorite.. So easy to do stuff like this :

Beautiful :o :thumbs_up:

Can you make a video tutorial i want to see how to do it. :puf_bigsmile:

Zerosity

24 Jun 2016

Yonatan wrote:
iramrezso wrote:Scales&Chords doesn't seem to support sus4 and sus2 chords.
No, I have not been able to figure sus chords out either. It is a most vital chord and should not be complete without it.
And overall, I would want to have more options in the two tones selection, so one could get any interval to play around with. Now its just set as a perfect fifth. I want to have all the other intervals too. I want to be able to have more control over this device.
For the different intervals, have you tried Note Echo (no delay in notes) followed by Scales & Chords to keep it in key?

Yonatan

24 Jun 2016

I forgot that note echo can do that easily...thanks for reminding me. :)

altron

25 Jun 2016

The Dual Arp is nice but the other two player devices have left me unimpressed so far. Scales & Chords ... we already have very similar devices as REs and actually if you tend to rely on these "chord-note presets" you're limiting your creativity. Nothing sounds more dull than a whole song played in the same chord, or even in a couple of mixed standard chords. Instead improvise your play, don't care about mistakes! You can fix them later.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Ahornberg

25 Jun 2016

altron wrote:The Dual Arp is nice but the other two player devices have left me unimpressed so far. Scales & Chords ... we already have very similar devices as REs and actually if you tend to rely on these "chord-note presets" you're limiting your creativity. Nothing sounds more dull than a whole song played in the same chord, or even in a couple of mixed standard chords. Instead improvise your play, don't care about mistakes! You can fix them later.
Yes, you're right: Making a whole song using chords generated by the Scakes & Chords player will bring up a boring result. But having the send-to-track option to make manual edits is real great! I missed this feature on AutoTheory.

• Information