Sidechain Compression

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Chizmata

12 Jun 2016

KevTav wrote:So I LITERALLY joined this forum for this one thread.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and lost my ability to click on outbound link from with Reason's "Help" tab. I was really interested in the best, easiest method to create a side chain. Watched about 4 YouTube videos which ALL gave different ways and methods.

I just wanted to see what the "Key" function method was about. Still no clue.

I'll give some of these methods a try. I set up some of the examples I saw on YouTube and online, but no sound,no trigger, no luck.

I just want some Synths, or Bass to DUCK the damn Kick Drums/Bass in my mixes. That's all I want.

I report back if any of this works. I seem to know how to do almost everything else in Reason BUT this. It's been frustrating.
"KEY" on just means that sidechain compression on this channel is activated. you can turn it off even if the channel has a sidechain input. the absolute easiest method is to go to the back of the rack and route the parallel output of the kick channel into the sidechain in of the synth channel - and done. some scenarios might require different methods including the splitter and mclass compressor though buty ou can worry about that later.

KevTav

13 Jun 2016

Okay so I tried the method Orthodox, JAM-S, and others mentioned with creating a parallel and routing that to the THOR (Pad, Synth, Whatever...Sidechain Input on their Mixer.

It worked, and it appears the THOR I'm using is getting keyed. I THINK. I hear it ducking in and out with the beat when I solo.

So now I'm tweeking the Parameters of the built in Compressor to see where the attacks and thresholds are best.

In theory I should be able to do the same routing to an M-Class Mix Strip linked to a THOR, right? If I want more control over the compressor?

Sorry, never did Side Chaining in my life. Thanks for the answers though.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

13 Jun 2016

This is cool, now I'll know where to route when I need to duck multiple synths or basses by creating a splitter, which will probably get me confused then too.

Oh well, at least I got this.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

EdGrip

15 Jun 2016

eauhm wrote:I usually use the Invert Ducker method via the Send FX. Got it from the old PUF. I forgot who made that one though but it works a treat. And its so incredibly easy to dial in.
This sounds interesting - could you elabourate? I did a quick Google, but no luck. ("Reason" is not a useful search term.)

Olivier

15 Jun 2016

EdGrip wrote:
eauhm wrote:I usually use the Invert Ducker method via the Send FX. Got it from the old PUF. I forgot who made that one though but it works a treat. And its so incredibly easy to dial in.
This sounds interesting - could you elabourate? I did a quick Google, but no luck. ("Reason" is not a useful search term.)
I'll have to find a link to the original thread/post. I know I have the combinator. Not sure who the original author is either.

Found it!!
Ah.. It was indeed Selig.

I think his method uses a ghost kick. I've modified it once to use one send as the ducking source and using a 2nd send for everything you want ducked..
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

CookieClimber

15 Jun 2016

Here is a combinator with redrum and multiple spiders I built for sidechaining if anyone wants it.

http://www.filedropper.com/sidechainer

All is routed. Just put the device in the rack and set notes in C1 where you want to sidechain.
Then route the sidechain input on the back of whatever device you want to have sidechained into any of the sidechainer combinator's spiders. (There are several if you want to sidechain many instruments).
Finally turn on the compressor for the sidechained device in the SSL.

EdGrip

15 Jun 2016

Eauhm and Giles - what excellent fellows you are. Thank you!

• Information