[LIVE] Reason / Reason Essentials 9 Public Beta

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kenni
Site Admin

19 May 2016

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that the Public Beta Test of Reason / Reason Essentials 9 will be made available here on ReasonTalk!

For this, we have created a dedicated sub-forum which is currently hidden, while Propellerheads prepare for this. What I can say though, is that you should be expecting the public beta to open very soon :)

I will update this thread with a [LIVE] tag as soon as the public beta is open!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

19 May 2016

The public beta forum is now open!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Exowildebeest

19 May 2016

Awesome! I was just thinking about this - having a forum for beta-test discussions is very valuable, and this is the best place Propellerheads could do this, as long as their own site isn't up to that for various reasons.

Deep Schulzz

19 May 2016

What really is of interest to me is if the Audio Pitch Editor is only workable in vocal mode. What about monophonic instrument tracks like from a double bass, violin, saxofon etc?
(sorry for my english)

Kenni
Site Admin

19 May 2016

Deep Schulzz wrote:What really is of interest to me is if the Audio Pitch Editor is only workable in vocal mode. What about monophonic instrument tracks like from a double bass, violin, saxofon etc?
(sorry for my english)
Can't see why this should be different as long as it's monophonic. I figure the pitch is mainly determined by the frequency
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2016

Deep Schulzz wrote:What really is of interest to me is if the Audio Pitch Editor is only workable in vocal mode. What about monophonic instrument tracks like from a double bass, violin, saxofon etc?
(sorry for my english)
While it's designed primarily for vocals, you can get workable results from other monophonic instruments (typical "your milage may vary" situation). Haven't tried any of the ones you mention though…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

raccoonboy

19 May 2016

How do you get the Beta? I'm not a developer but user. I signed my name up for Beta testing, I'm on Reason 8. But don't know how to download or if it's available yet?

FGL

19 May 2016

You can sign in on the PH website, there is a button. But it is only for users of Reason 8.
Music:
My Songs on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@FGLucas-wj1eg.
My Songs on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/frank-georg-lucas.

Zerosity

19 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:Go to the Beta Forum. All info is there.
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewforum.php?f=21
Except I was there and ALL info wasn't there; mainly the link to the sign up page (which exowildebeest provided) and the important note that it's for Reason 8 owners only (FGL just mentioned that).

Although I found all that out for myself before I even read this thread. But anyway, that subforum did not include all the info.

It's also been pointed out that upgrading to Reason 8 includes the Reason 9 upgrade once released. So if you want to beta test and will upgrade anyway (like me) you can do it now.

raccoonboy

19 May 2016

Hmm. Download from the Downloads page? Where is this?

maybe I have to wait, will I get an email? I don't think that page was very clear, it says where to sign up but I have already signed up... I'm wondering how to download (I'm a Reason 8 user).

thanks

joeyluck

19 May 2016

raccoonboy wrote:Hmm. Download from the Downloads page? Where is this?

maybe I have to wait, will I get an email? I don't think that page was very clear, it says where to sign up but I have already signed up... I'm wondering how to download (I'm a Reason 8 user).

thanks
Be sure to read this:
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7494743

raccoonboy

19 May 2016

Yes. I have read it, twice. It says 'at some point be let into the beta test'. I'm not sure how I know when I am let in... Do I get an email?

Maybe I'm being dense and missing something.

joeyluck

19 May 2016

raccoonboy wrote:Yes. I have read it, twice. It says 'at some point be let into the beta test'. I'm not sure how I know when I am let in... Do I get an email?

After you sign up you get this message:

"We’ll get back to you soon with details of when the testing forum is open, and where to download the test versions.

/The Propellerhead team"

I assume you look for an email

raccoonboy

19 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:Yes. I have read it, twice. It says 'at some point be let into the beta test'. I'm not sure how I know when I am let in... Do I get an email?

After you sign up you get this message:

"We’ll get back to you soon with details of when the testing forum is open, and where to download the test versions.

/The Propellerhead team"

I assume you look for an email
Okay doke. Thanks. Just thought maybe I had to log in or something. I'll wait and see.

raymondh

19 May 2016

selig wrote:
(sorry for my english)
While it's designed primarily for vocals, you can get workable results from other monophonic instruments (typical "your milage may vary" situation). Haven't tried any of the ones you mention though…
And that is no less true for Melodyne too. There are videos on Melodyne's monophonic, and polyphonic, audio to MIDI conversion which show great results, and yet when I've tried it on my material, the output is a mess with most of the right notes together with a bunch of wrong notes created presumably by misreading harmonics and effects in the original material.

So if we find that Reason 9 doesn't do an amazing job dealing with anything we throw at it, I think we need to give them a break and set our expectations fairly.

gullum

19 May 2016

will try not to apply for beta testing would probable get no work done in the next month but I'm so tempted

jappe

20 May 2016

raymondh wrote:
selig wrote:
(sorry for my english)
And that is no less true for Melodyne too. There are videos on Melodyne's monophonic, and polyphonic, audio to MIDI conversion which show great results, and yet when I've tried it on my material, the output is a mess with most of the right notes together with a bunch of wrong notes created presumably by misreading harmonics and effects in the original material.

So if we find that Reason 9 doesn't do an amazing job dealing with anything we throw at it, I think we need to give them a break and set our expectations fairly.
I've worked a bit with Melodyne, and it will be very interesting to compare these things in Pitch Edit mode with Melodyne:
* How tolerant is it to noisy recordings? (I use to clean up recordings in a wave editor before taking it to Melodyne)
* How will the Vibrato feature work. I'm quite dependent on being able to decrease vibrato increase as well as adjust pitch glide.
* How much can the pitch be corrected before distortion can be heard.
* Does it do consonant detection. If not, does consonants in a sound blob cause more distortion when changing pitch?
(I guess a remedy to that is to razor the consonants)
* How is the workflow in Pitch Edit mode - I'm hoping there are shortcuts for Correct Pitch etc.

jfrichards

21 May 2016

(sorry for my english)
It does work for bass. You have to set the transpose type on vocal or it doesn't see the notes and then if you bounce to midi it'll just send the midi notes in a monotonal stream. Here's a little example of some of the things, like vocal-to-midi-to-bass-synth, and bass bounced to midi-to-violin-through-player-chords.

https://allihoopa.com/s/fZXfaLsz

It works really well for lead guitar

Kenni
Site Admin

21 May 2016

Theres no increasing of vibrato. It's a drift setting being at 100% (original) to 0% (flat auto tune), and a preserve setting as well.

In my experience with melodyne and now reason as well, the quality of the pitch correction depends heavily on the quality of the recording, and how much drift the vocalist have in their vibrato.

I find reasons tolerance on "bad" recordings to be fairly good. Very satisfied with reason 9 so far!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Deep Schulzz

22 May 2016

jfrichards wrote:
(sorry for my english)
It does work for bass. You have to set the transpose type on vocal or it doesn't see the notes and then if you bounce to midi it'll just send the midi notes in a monotonal stream. Here's a little example of some of the things, like vocal-to-midi-to-bass-synth, and bass bounced to midi-to-violin-through-player-chords.

https://allihoopa.com/s/fZXfaLsz

It works really well for lead guitar
Thanks for the answers.
I did not meant to send my double bass playing or other acoustic instruments to Midi. I just wondered if the audio pitch correction that is primarily made for voices also works properly for monophonic played instruments like for example a double bass. And you say it works with bass although the pitch correction feature is only available in vocal mode. That would be really fine. But why Props limited this feature for only voice editing? It should be more versatile.
Btw: Very, very cool example (https://allihoopa.com/s/fZXfaLsz) you made :puf_smile:

jfrichards

22 May 2016

Deep Schulzz wrote:...I just wondered if the audio pitch correction that is primarily made for voices also works properly for monophonic played instruments like for example a double bass...
Gotcha. That brings up some great ideas. I'll have to dig out my bow for my double bass, record a solo and see if I can use the pitch editor to correct the sharp and flat notes. I've been setting the pitch editor on Vocal mode to analyze notes in a melody. I think I read that that needs to be done, but I'll check. Maybe when they say Vocal mode, it has a broader meaning, like Melodic mode. So far I've noticed that the pitch editor misses some fast notes and low notes, and I'm trying to add razor points and somehow reanalyze it after a little manual work. It occurs to me that it would be great for sax players who fail to adjust their mouthpiece lengths correctly and end up with a bunch of notes sharp or flat. It's all so complicated, new, and cool.

Deep Schulzz

22 May 2016

jfrichards wrote:
Deep Schulzz wrote:...I just wondered if the audio pitch correction that is primarily made for voices also works properly for monophonic played instruments like for example a double bass...
Gotcha. That brings up some great ideas. I'll have to dig out my bow for my double bass, record a solo and see if I can use the pitch editor to correct the sharp and flat notes. I've been setting the pitch editor on Vocal mode to analyze notes in a melody. I think I read that that needs to be done, but I'll check. Maybe when they say Vocal mode, it has a broader meaning, like Melodic mode. So far I've noticed that the pitch editor misses some fast notes and low notes, and I'm trying to add razor points and somehow reanalyze it after a little manual work. It occurs to me that it would be great for sax players who fail to adjust their mouthpiece lengths correctly and end up with a bunch of notes sharp or flat. It's all so complicated, new, and cool.
Yeah, I`m curious about your results :mrgreen:

reasonr102

23 May 2016

Well I'm confused. I just tried registering for the public beta with the link given in this thread and it tells me I have to have a registered reason 8 account. I have one. How do I get this to work?

• Information