Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 349
Soft Enerji

20 May 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
Soft Enerji wrote:I haven't missed an upgrade since I started on 4. It'll be good for folks to finally stop whining about 8 too :roll: :puf_smile:
I'm sure the usual suspects will still find something to wet the bed over. Whiners gonna whine
Nah, nothing there to wet the bed over and I own Melodyne so pitch correction in Reason is just a small bonus............just gonna upgrade coz I can........... :puf_bigsmile:

CaptainBlack

20 May 2016

Just bought an 8.3 upgrade for £85, so it's already better value that going from 7 to 8.

zakalwe

20 May 2016

CaptainBlack wrote:Just bought an 8.3 upgrade for £85, so it's already better value that going from 7 to 8.
how did you manage to do that FOREX deal? i make it as a £100 upgrade for upstanding British citizens.

Last Alternative

20 May 2016

There's some cool things so I'm gonna upgrade to stay current but I was hoping for a lot more. Such as major improvements to audio editing and automatic delay compensation, a few other things. I'll never understand why they do so little in a year's time.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

guitfnky

20 May 2016

gak wrote:Er, I just had a thought. What if all the shit is crazy on the ol' CPU (scared)
While I obviously can't say for certain how it'll work with Reason, I don't think the pitch shifting stuff is very taxing on your CPU. When I recorded my band's first album, it was done on a MacBook (not Pro), back in 2009-10, using Digital Performer 6 as the DAW. While our singer is quite capable, his ability didn't really outstrip my OCD, so I went through every line with the pitch editing tools to make sure everything sounded great, and natural. I never had an issue with processing power; at least not one caused by the pitch correction stuff.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

paulred67

20 May 2016

Yes, I will, for sure. It will be a birthday present from me to me. :)
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

Leighbeater

20 May 2016

At this stage its a NO for me... i might be persuaded depends how good the new devices are, i will wait until i see some videos with some users doing some crazy shit with them, might wet my appetite

ReasonUser

20 May 2016

I got the upgrade for $108 USD at jrrshop.com with promo code 'group', but keep it between you and me ok? ;)

Exowildebeest

20 May 2016

Last Alternative wrote: I'll never understand why they do so little in a year's time.

Because it's incredibly hard and difficult work to make something with the craftsmanship and buglessness we've come to expect :?

tordh

20 May 2016

I will upgrade from 7 to 9, the question is when. Is there any reason to wait? They don't bundle upgrades with something anyway, do they?

iramrezso

20 May 2016

One of my concerns is that PH goes out with these Players devices just after Autotheory, Step Note Recorder and other great sequencer REs. Isn't it a bit too late? I'm asking myself whether it worths to upgrade if one of the most important parts of the version 9 is this bunch of sort of replications? :)

decibel

20 May 2016

ReasonUser wrote:I got the upgrade for $108 USD at jrrshop.com with promo code 'group', but keep it between you and me ok? ;)

thank you good sir, i couldnt resist jumping on that bandwagon myself, saved about $30 dollars australian in the process, ended up paying about $155 aud rather then about $185 aud if i purchased through propellerheads.se..

got confirmation emails telling me i have to wait for license to be generated, im guessing that might not be until monday when props staff go back to work ? ahhhh life, its a never ending waiting game huh, especially when dealing with propellereads lol ;)

mreese80

20 May 2016

boobytrap wrote:
mreese80 wrote:No. After watching the video again the devices are okay but its not what I want. Audio editing features is what I want. Good update but not for me.
sometimes, that happens to me when Studio One 3 upgrade. also I expect lots of things with R9. with the i newer imagine these players, pitch editing things. but this is a paying upgrade. that's why you refuse. in my point of view this upgrade is really not mind blowing and revolutionary.
I compare new 3 players specially Chord & Scale thing, Pitch editing( that's amazing ) and 1000 new cutting edge sounds with 129$. that's sounds reasonable... :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason:
What they are offering can be done in Studio One 3 and Ableton. All reason needs to do is update audio editing. They are lacking in that department. The $129.00 wouldn't matter if I was interested in the 3 devices, bounce to audio and the theme colors but I'm not..I have Ableton for that. Reason is a good daw but it justs needs some tweaking in the audio department.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Rickyd Dee

20 May 2016

Big "YES" for me. :)
Reason 9 / :PUF_balance: / :re: / :refill:

tordh

20 May 2016

decibel wrote:
ReasonUser wrote:I got the upgrade for $108 USD at jrrshop.com with promo code 'group', but keep it between you and me ok? ;)

thank you good sir, i couldnt resist jumping on that bandwagon myself, saved about $30 dollars australian in the process, ended up paying about $155 aud rather then about $185 aud if i purchased through propellerheads.se..

got confirmation emails telling me i have to wait for license to be generated, im guessing that might not be until monday when props staff go back to work ? ahhhh life, its a never ending waiting game huh, especially when dealing with propellereads lol ;)
OK so this is cool for Propellerheads for an automatic update to R9 this summer?

MarkTarlton

20 May 2016

It seems like it will be a great value going from R7 to R9(softube,rvII,patches,pitch edit,new devices look cool!) but that browser is one of the main gripes I have...time to move forward :D

ReasonUser

20 May 2016

decibel wrote:

Yeah it says give them 4 days to email your upgrade code so I'm sure that's because of the weekend, etc. still a nice price though!

boobytrap

20 May 2016

mreese80 wrote:
boobytrap wrote:
mreese80 wrote:No. After watching the video again the devices are okay but its not what I want. Audio editing features is what I want. Good update but not for me.
sometimes, that happens to me when Studio One 3 upgrade. also I expect lots of things with R9. with the i newer imagine these players, pitch editing things. but this is a paying upgrade. that's why you refuse. in my point of view this upgrade is really not mind blowing and revolutionary.
I compare new 3 players specially Chord & Scale thing, Pitch editing( that's amazing ) and 1000 new cutting edge sounds with 129$. that's sounds reasonable... :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason: :reason:
What they are offering can be done in Studio One 3 and Ableton. All reason needs to do is update audio editing. They are lacking in that department. The $129.00 wouldn't matter if I was interested in the 3 devices, bounce to audio and the theme colors but I'm not..I have Ableton for that. Reason is a good daw but it justs needs some tweaking in the audio department.
first of all I highly refuse Studio One 3 upgrade. they do everything perfect but the GUI looks hideous. and I don't know about Ableton, but I have bitwig, also capable with much audio editing. yes of course ! in R9 they didn't improve audio editing. it's still same. so many people ask thousands of new improvements but PH didn't care about them, or not looking users point of view. PH doing what they want always. they aren't open to suggestions. on that condition, as users we can do nothing.

In my point of view I see

1. Chord & Scale device
2. Dual ARP
3. Echo thing
4. Black Theme( I don't like that blue witch reminds me SO3)
5. Pitch Editor
6. Bounce note to audio
7. 1000 new sounds

for 129$. that's it.
like you said this is really not looks like a major upgrade. specially compare with Reaper Upgrades. but I'm pretending to see this as version 9.
personally I accept above 7 new worth for 129. also I agree with you..
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

illone

20 May 2016

boobytrap wrote: In my point of view I see

1. Chord & Scale device
2. Dual ARP
3. Echo thing
5. Pitch Editor
6. Bounce note to audio
7. 1000 new sounds

for 129$. that's it.
like you said this is really not looks like a major upgrade. specially compare with Reaper Upgrades. but I'm pretending to see this as version 9.
One man's lemons....

I see that list of features and think we've struck it rich this time! For one, Melodyne - useless edition [Essential] will run you $99 -- the one you actually need to do anything non trivial, Melodyne Assistant, cost $199. So on that alone I'm feeling the love. (We could temper this excitement a bit until we find out if Props implementation is in line with Melodyne's).

Player devices - if you bought or thought of buying any of the "Theory" RE devices, just from a conceptual point of view, these Player devices are going to run circles around them. These are devices that you can actually play - removing the need for a lot of setup before getting to the goods.

Bounce to Track - seemingly not Track Freeze, but can get a poor man close enough I guess. Will have to see it in action before I declare it rubbish.
'
More sounds and colors are always good I suppose; definitely won't be "kicking them out of the bed."

TLDR

All in all, great stuff. Pitch editing alone more than covers the cost for me. Plus I'm coming from 7 and have already purchased the 2x upgrade. I'd have paid more, instead maybe I'll buy a RE or 2.

Next up:
* True Track Freeze
* Mixer channel grouping
* Sequence Track grouping
* Master Mode
* SDK update

--illone

FATCheese

20 May 2016

When R8 came out I was like: "Meh..."
It had some handy features but I thought it wasn't it worth for me.

But with R9 I think it is worth it!
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

boobytrap

20 May 2016

illone wrote:
boobytrap wrote: In my point of view I see

1. Chord & Scale device
2. Dual ARP
3. Echo thing
5. Pitch Editor
6. Bounce note to audio
7. 1000 new sounds

for 129$. that's it.
One man's lemons....

I see that list of features and think we've struck it rich this time! For one, Melodyne - useless edition [Essential] will run you $99 -- the one you actually need to do anything non trivial, Melodyne Assistant, cost $199. So on that alone I'm feeling the love. (We could temper this excitement a bit until we find out if Props implementation is in line with Melodyne's).

Player devices - if you bought or thought of buying any of the "Theory" RE devices, just from a conceptual point of view, these Player devices are going to run circles around them. These are devices that you can actually play - removing the need for a lot of setup before getting to the goods.

Bounce to Track - seemingly not Track Freeze, but can get a poor man close enough I guess. Will have to see it in action before I declare it rubbish.
'
More sounds and colors are always good I suppose; definitely won't be "kicking them out of the bed."

TLDR

All in all, great stuff. Pitch editing alone more than covers the cost for me. Plus I'm coming from 7 and have already purchased the 2x upgrade. I'd have paid more, instead maybe I'll buy a RE or 2.

Next up:
* True Track Freeze
* Mixer channel grouping
* Sequence Track grouping
* Master Mode
* SDK update

--illone

In this case my theory is " half a loaf better than none "
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

mreese80

20 May 2016

boobytrap wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
boobytrap wrote:
first of all I highly refuse Studio One 3 upgrade. they do everything perfect but the GUI looks hideous. and I don't know about Ableton, but I have bitwig, also capable with much audio editing. yes of course ! in R9 they didn't improve audio editing. it's still same. so many people ask thousands of new improvements but PH didn't care about them, or not looking users point of view. PH doing what they want always. they aren't open to suggestions. on that condition, as users we can do nothing.

In my point of view I see

1. Chord & Scale device
2. Dual ARP
3. Echo thing
5. Pitch Editor
6. Bounce note to audio
7. 1000 new sounds

for 129$. that's it.
I agree everything you said as well. I've sent them videos of the features i would like to see in Reason. These features are already in Akai and Ableton software so there is no way i'll upgrade for what i already have in other daws. If props added the audio editing features i'd drop that 129 instantly. PH doesn't care about the users. It's like you stated, they do what they want. They will flood our emails with things to buy but that's as far as it goes.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

swamptooth

20 May 2016

I probably will, even though every other DAW I use has all the features 9 is adding on. The only things that I can think of I'd like are a RE version of the Novation Mininova vst (which is in Novation's court) and NRPN handling for external midi instruments which I find myself adding more and more to get away from the computer.

Makis

20 May 2016

Yes from 7, but propellerheads should come up with something about PDC quickly. Reason for me is almost useless for big mixes with over 40 - 50 tracks, especially for EDM style music.

• Information