So... It's 2016. Reason 9? Line 6 amps gone by October

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
QVprod

27 Jan 2016

From Reason 8 FAQ
With the new guitar amps coming in Reason 8, what happens with the Line 6 amps?

In addition to the new guitar and bass amp devices introduced in Reason 8 and Reason Essentials 8, the Line 6 Guitar and Bass devices are still available. Please Note: In order to support future product development, the Line 6 guitar and bass amp devices will no longer be available in the Reason rack by October 2016. In order to prevent any future compatibility issues, Propellerhead recommends that you render to audio any tracks that use the Line 6 devices. Alternative amp models will be available in Reason 8 and later.
So since the Line 6 amps will no longer be in Reason by October, I guess we can pretty much assume Version 9 must be getting released soon right. Props have been doing the update thing, but would be weird for an update to remove a core part of the program. Thoughts?

eusti

27 Jan 2016

QVprod wrote:From Reason 8 FAQ
With the new guitar amps coming in Reason 8, what happens with the Line 6 amps?

In addition to the new guitar and bass amp devices introduced in Reason 8 and Reason Essentials 8, the Line 6 Guitar and Bass devices are still available. Please Note: In order to support future product development, the Line 6 guitar and bass amp devices will no longer be available in the Reason rack by October 2016. In order to prevent any future compatibility issues, Propellerhead recommends that you render to audio any tracks that use the Line 6 devices. Alternative amp models will be available in Reason 8 and later.
So since the Line 6 amps will no longer be in Reason by October, I guess we can pretty much assume Version 9 must be getting released soon right. Props have been doing the update thing, but would be weird for an update to remove a core part of the program. Thoughts?
I'd agree: If the date October 2016 is firm, then that should mean that they're expecting Reason 9 to be out by then... But who can really see into the future? ;)

D.

dvdrtldg

28 Jan 2016

eusti wrote:If the date October 2016 is firm, then that should mean that they're expecting Reason 9 to be out by then... But who can really see into the future? ;)

D.
I can

GFC2 will kick in around mid April, taking down the economies of several countries including Sweden, Denmark and Norway. In late November President Trump will take advantage of this by invading Scandinavia and forcing all software companies including Propellerhead to turn their hand to cyber-weaponry. Reason will be rebadged as "Berserker" and unleashed simultaneously on Russian, Syrian government and ISIS systems (a month later, Berserker will attack France's networks as well because you know, fuck those guys). Overall I'd say it's a bad time to be investing in REs

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2016

OMG if all my REs are gonna turn into those little colored mutant men that run around my apartment them I am in trouble.

Thanks for the warning

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

At Vero Eos

28 Jan 2016

My biased projection: Props will skip V9 and just move over to Reason 10. Just for marketing reasons.

Maybe something along with Allihoppa? But new version in october seems to be quite sure because of the Line6 deadline. It's very silent in stockholm right now, not even any special announcements at NAMM. So i'm hoping, they're working concentrated on something big...

stevan

28 Jan 2016

Seriously, since R8 and the introduction of Softubes Amp's I never touched these Line6 amps . If they'll disappear in the next update, I wouldn't even notice it ... Softubes ampsimulation is really awesome and I hope we'll see more of this in the Reason Rack ...

normen

28 Jan 2016

Sorry but what is the reasoning behind linking the deprecation of the Line6 devices and the release of Reason 9?

chimp_spanner

28 Jan 2016

stevan wrote:Seriously, since R8 and the introduction of Softubes Amp's I never touched these Line6 amps . If they'll disappear in the next update, I wouldn't even notice it ... Softubes ampsimulation is really awesome and I hope we'll see more of this in the Reason Rack ...
I'm completely the opposite. I still use POD Farm 2 in just about everything in Cubase, and the Line 6 Amps in Reason are basically that (I have the full set of models as it reads my POD Farm license). SoftTube amps are...okay? Severely limited choice of cabinets though. I can either find the cab I want with too much room, or one that's dry but has completely the wrong sound.

Kuassa is probably gonna end up being my replacement. They're pretty cool. I will definitely miss Line 6 though!

normen

28 Jan 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:I'm completely the opposite. I still use POD Farm 2 in just about everything in Cubase, and the Line 6 Amps in Reason are basically that (I have the full set of models as it reads my POD Farm license). SoftTube amps are...okay? Severely limited choice of cabinets though. I can either find the cab I want with too much room, or one that's dry but has completely the wrong sound.

Kuassa is probably gonna end up being my replacement. They're pretty cool. I will definitely miss Line 6 though!
Well you can still record Line6 amps directly into Reason using a Line6 interface, thats what I do with the UX-8 I have connected to my Reason computer.

chimp_spanner

28 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:I'm completely the opposite. I still use POD Farm 2 in just about everything in Cubase, and the Line 6 Amps in Reason are basically that (I have the full set of models as it reads my POD Farm license). SoftTube amps are...okay? Severely limited choice of cabinets though. I can either find the cab I want with too much room, or one that's dry but has completely the wrong sound.

Well you can still record Line6 amps directly into Reason using a Line6 interface, thats what I do with the UX-8 I have connected to my Reason computer.
Yeah sadly I have POD Farm Platinum only, no X3. I managed to get them to grant me a PC only license on the basis that I was touring a lot at the time, and didn't want to have to keep taking my X3 Pro in and out of its rack just to use it as a hardware dongle!

I do have an HD Pro but tbh, I use it so rarely these days. Never quite had the same feel for me.

stevan

28 Jan 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:
stevan wrote:Seriously, since R8 and the introduction of Softubes Amp's I never touched these Line6 amps . If they'll disappear in the next update, I wouldn't even notice it ... Softubes ampsimulation is really awesome and I hope we'll see more of this in the Reason Rack ...
I'm completely the opposite. I still use POD Farm 2 in just about everything in Cubase, and the Line 6 Amps in Reason are basically that (I have the full set of models as it reads my POD Farm license). SoftTube amps are...okay? Severely limited choice of cabinets though. I can either find the cab I want with too much room, or one that's dry but has completely the wrong sound.

... ok, it's a matter of taste I think. I love the few models of softube, but I wished more of it, but with the new IR RV7000 it's dead easy using different cab/micro settings . I have all the Line6 packs too, but it sounds not right for me, no matter wich amp/cab ... it does not work, but for me the Softube Amps feels more than a real amp ... Kuassa ? Naa, don't like it really , it's ok so far but I don't like the cab-simulation ... can't find an equal sound like in Softube Amp... maybe I should say that I'm using only outboard stuff, like pedealboards etc. and use the Reason Amps just for Cab and poweramp simulation ... so, the Amp Rock/Room combination works perfect for me ...
Last edited by stevan on 28 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

madmacman

28 Jan 2016

normen wrote:Sorry but what is the reasoning behind linking the deprecation of the Line6 devices and the release of Reason 9?
Nobody knows for sure, but I work for an industry software company and here are strict rules: If a license agreement with 3rd party components runs out, then we are forced to release a "cleaned" version with no more references at due date.

Of course, Props simply could release 8.4 (or 8.5) and remove the Line6 Amps. It doesn't have necessarily to be "Reason 9". But I'm sure we will see some kind of release around 30.9. this year.

avasopht
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2016

madmacman wrote:
normen wrote:Sorry but what is the reasoning behind linking the deprecation of the Line6 devices and the release of Reason 9?
Nobody knows for sure, but I work for an industry software company and here are strict rules: If a license agreement with 3rd party components runs out, then we are forced to release a "cleaned" version with no more references at due date.

Of course, Props simply could release 8.4 (or 8.5) and remove the Line6 Amps. It doesn't have necessarily to be "Reason 9". But I'm sure we will see some kind of release around 30.9. this year.
My thoughts exactly.

joeyluck

28 Jan 2016

madmacman wrote:

Well waiting for a new version like Reason 9 makes sense. Chances are Reason 9 will be released at that time or even after. But that doesn't mean it can't be released before that time and have them removed early. It's anyone's guess.

selig
RE Developer

28 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
madmacman wrote:

Well waiting for a new version like Reason 9 makes sense. Chances are Reason 9 will be released at that time or even after. But that doesn't mean it can't be released before that time and have them removed early. It's anyone's guess.
It's more likely that date is the earliest date, so that folks have more rather than less time than advertised to switch. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

28 Jan 2016

Because to remove the Line 6 amps means some type of upgrade/update to the current version of software. I find it sort of improbable that Reason 8.3 would have the amps and something like Reason 8.4, for example, would not. That would be quite inconvenient to the Reason 8 users who use those amps.

QVprod

28 Jan 2016

stevan wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:

... ok, it's a matter of taste I think. I love the few models of softube, but I wished more of it, but with the new IR RV7000 it's dead easy using different cab/micro settings . I have all the Line6 packs too, but it sounds not right for me, no matter wich amp/cab ... it does not work, but for me the Softube Amps feels more than a real amp ... Kuassa ? Naa, don't like it really , it's ok so far but I don't like the cab-simulation ... can't find an equal sound like in Softube Amp... maybe I should say that I'm using only outboard stuff, like pedealboards etc. and use the Reason Amps just for Cab and poweramp simulation ... so, the Amp Rock/Room combination works perfect for me ...
I used the line bass amp quite also on synth and sampled bass. It was great for that... to me at least

EnochLight

28 Jan 2016

I checked all of my current projects that I'm working on (7 projects), and only 1 is using a Line6 amp. I managed to switch 2 others over to Kuassa or Softube and I'm extremely happy with the results, but this 1 last project is proving... difficult. I might have to bounce that project's Line6 tracks to audio while in 8.3.2 (or 8.4 or whatever is the last release to have Line6 amps) prior to them deprecating. I don't really plan to make any changes to the tracks that have them, but just in case... :?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

28 Jan 2016

EnochLight wrote:I checked all of my current projects that I'm working on (7 projects), and only 1 is using a Line6 amp. I managed to switch 2 others over to Kuassa or Softube and I'm extremely happy with the results, but this 1 last project is proving... difficult. I might have to bounce that project's Line6 tracks to audio while in 8.3.2 (or 8.4 or whatever is the last release to have Line6 amps) prior to them deprecating. I don't really plan to make any changes to the tracks that have them, but just in case... :?
At the same time, you will always have Reason 8 ;)
You can leave it installed or install it when you need it. Line 6 devices can't be removed from previous versions

That's something I mention to many folks still on the fence about Reason 8 who also use Line 6.
It might be the last/best version of Reason to include Line 6 devices... Something to consider.

EnochLight

28 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:At the same time, you will always have Reason 8 ;)
You can leave it installed or install it when you need it. Line 6 devices can't be removed from previous versions

That's something I mention to many folks still on the fence about Reason 8 who also use Line 6.
It might be the last/best version of Reason to include Line 6 devices... Something to consider.
True, though me being a huge fan of the new update channel and utilizing it always, it will require me to manually download 8.x separately in order to access them (and of course, once I work on said project in Reason 9 or whatever version drops the Line6 stuff, I will no longer be able to open those projects in 8.x, so some care will need to be taken). ;)

I know, I know. First world problems, right? :puf_bigsmile: :mrgreen: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

28 Jan 2016

EnochLight wrote:
joeyluck wrote:At the same time, you will always have Reason 8 ;)

True, though me being a huge fan of the new update channel and utilizing it always, it will require me to manually download 8.x separately in order to access them (and of course, once I work on said project in Reason 9 or whatever version drops the Line6 stuff, I will no longer be able to open those projects in 8.x, so some care will need to be taken). ;)

I know, I know. First world problems, right? :puf_bigsmile: :mrgreen: :lol:

Well, I assume if you open those projects in R9 (and R9 excludes Line 6) and you decide to save it as a R9 project... I assume at that point you've ditched the Line 6 devices for that project and have moved on with another distortion option :puf_smile:

EnochLight

28 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:Well, I assume if you open those projects in R9 (and R9 excludes Line 6) and you decide to save it as a R9 project... I assume at that point you've ditched the Line 6 devices for that project and have moved on with another distortion option :puf_smile:
I was thinking more along the lines of I save it in a future version because of some new workflow improvement I can't live without. ;) I've given up hope of there ever being a new instrument or effect provided in a stock Reason upgrade. :cry: But, I will say the Kuassa and Softube stuff have done an acceptable job of replacing things so far for me. It's just this 1 project's bass line! :mrgreen:

QVprod

28 Jan 2016

EnochLight wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Well, I assume if you open those projects in R9 (and R9 excludes Line 6) and you decide to save it as a R9 project... I assume at that point you've ditched the Line 6 devices for that project and have moved on with another distortion option :puf_smile:
I was thinking more along the lines of I save it in a future version because of some new workflow improvement I can't live without. ;) I've given up hope of there ever being a new instrument or effect provided in a stock Reason upgrade. :cry: But, I will say the Kuassa and Softube stuff have done an acceptable job of replacing things so far for me. It's just this 1 project's bass line! :mrgreen:
I know you have Studio One, might I suggest Ampire? Can't remember if V2 has bass amps (I'm on version 3) but It seems to work as well as the line 6 bass amp for me. That said I tend to use Ignite Amps SHB1 and just use one of the two bass cabs in Ampire skipping the amp entirely. Might get the job done for you.

EnochLight

28 Jan 2016

QVprod wrote:I know you have Studio One, might I suggest Ampire? Can't remember if V2 has bass amps (I'm on version 3) but It seems to work as well as the line 6 bass amp for me. That said I tend to use Ignite Amps SHB1 and just use one of the two bass cabs in Ampire skipping the amp entirely. Might get the job done for you.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm still on 2.6 and Ampire is available. Thing is, that just keeps me working outside of Reason, and while I do still use S1 for Spire, Serum, all of my Sonic Charge stuff, and some others... Ampire just makes me go outside of Reason for my bass guitar. I really like recording in Reason (and working in Reason).

Ampire is pretty bad ass, though!

jfrichards

28 Jan 2016

EnochLight wrote:... Ampire just makes me go outside of Reason for my bass guitar. I really like recording in Reason (and working in Reason). Ampire is pretty bad ass, though!
Don't forget the little monster, Cerberus. The tube pre-amp is quite something.

• Information