Reason really slows my workflow? I think this ship has finally sailed

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

21 Jan 2016

The sound & quality is great, which is why I love it. But it doesn't have what I get in other daws. I've sacrificed long enough. I'll be back if props adds the features that I need for my music creation. And before the attacking begins, remember guys, it's a workflow preference. Good daw, but behind...
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

tt_lab

21 Jan 2016

I can tell you I saw that coming. But remember a lot of the best music is done with less features.

Social Exodus

21 Jan 2016

I have to say that I agree with the OP on this. I love the way Reason works for the most part, but the features available in SONAR Platinum are in another realm by comparison. And for less money per year at $99. Now that I've spent some real time with SONAR, it really is a better place for me as a guitarist. The good news is that Reason is still a lot of fun to use as a synth platform and with Rewire, my Reason 8.3 investment will be with me for a long time to come yet.

I get the feeling that Propellerheads do not consider my situation to be the target demographic:

- Android user
- Windows user
- Primary instrument guitar
- Not enamored of mobile music making

Lol, still I think the program is well built, easy to grok and fairly free of hassles so I stay with it anyway. But less than even 6 months ago...
Last edited by Social Exodus on 21 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

pjeudy

21 Jan 2016

tt_lab wrote:I can tell you I saw that coming. But remember a lot of the best music is done with less features.
Reasons redeeming quality is it's lack of features? I rather have features then restrain my self from using only a few, a track might require different tools then another track, but a DAW in 2016 shouldn't tout less features in there sales pitch.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

tt_lab

21 Jan 2016

No, That was not my point. First I saw that coming cos my man here wanted vsts and some things reason does not have right now. I support mreese completely on his choice, and was just trying to be nice, not critic, because conversations we had and posts he wrote. Me too had searched for my workflow and find my self evolving it. That is very ok for me.The features part was more like a joke I did, didn't want flame anything. I want more features too and had welcome the features they added in the past. Anyuway For me reason is a way of work and use it where and when I enjoy it.

tt_lab

21 Jan 2016

Maybe I had to write a ;) in my 1st post to let him know it was a joke

Chizmata

21 Jan 2016

each to his own i guess. i just like reason because of its simulation of analogue equipment. lol i think it would even be cool if the sequencer window didnt exist but an "analogue" sequencer.

Skullture

21 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote:The sound & quality is great, which is why I love it. But it doesn't have what I get in other daws. I've sacrificed long enough. I'll be back if props adds the features that I need for my music creation. And before the attacking begins, remember guys, it's a workflow preference. Good daw, but behind...
So that little remark of yours needs to have a topic opened on this? Could you at least point out what your problem is? You know, press a little on pain points, issues, etc.. Be more detailed?

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2016

I'm curious as to how it is slowing you down, would it be better for you to use rewire and treat reason more like a plugin?

pjeudy

21 Jan 2016

tt_lab wrote:No, That was not my point. First I saw that coming cos my man here wanted vsts and some things reason does not have right now. I support mreese completely on his choice, and was just trying to be nice, not critic, because conversations we had and posts he wrote. Me too had searched for my workflow and find my self evolving it. That is very ok for me.The features part was more like a joke I did, didn't want flame anything. I want more features too and had welcome the features they added in the past. Anyuway For me reason is a way of work and use it where and when I enjoy it.
Aaah...I see said the blind man :-)
Yea... I have my eye on Studio one...for ages. Like everyone else... I hold on to Reason a lot...maybe because of the money and time invested. And it does have good things abou it. But I also like the modern look and features of studio!
Fingers crossed that on Saturday Props will have more then just iPhone/iPad music sharing stuff they talk about .
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

wishinghand

21 Jan 2016

Siberian Khatru wrote: I get the feeling that Propellerheads do not consider my situation to be the target demographic:

- Android user
Is anyone targeting Android? I understand the platform reduced the latency a little recently, but only on some mobile devices, not Android as a whole. I believe it's still too laggy to be targeted by serious developers, whether or not one thinks Propellerheads is one of those developers.

Lizard

21 Jan 2016

I don't want to attack the OP. I want to learn what features are needed. Sure... there are features that are needed but which are in the OP's opinion the ones holding us back? I work almost exclusively in Reason so I really don't know what all the others have that it doesn't. I use some things on the outside such as audio editing and some VSTi / Stand Alones but my sequencing and recording is Reason. What are the things holding the OP back? Are they holding me back too?! :shock: The determining factor could be the style of music one produces which may have an impact on the features needed as well. I am interested to hear what these are and are they specific to only one DAW or do all DAWs have them.

Social Exodus

21 Jan 2016

wishinghand wrote:
Siberian Khatru wrote: I get the feeling that Propellerheads do not consider my situation to be the target demographic:

- Android user
Is anyone targeting Android? I understand the platform reduced the latency a little recently, but only on some mobile devices, not Android as a whole. I believe it's still too laggy to be targeted by serious developers, whether or not one thinks Propellerheads is one of those developers.
A little further down the list was:

- Not enamored of mobile music making
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

chimp_spanner

21 Jan 2016

I've had the opposite experience - primarily a Cubase user but I keep going to Reason now instead. Maybe part of that is that I just need something new. But there are legitimately things I need to do that I can't do in Cubase (and of course the opposite is true in certain cases). These days I just recommend both to people if they can afford it. They've both got really great features, and they both inspire a different approach to writing and sound design. There are a handful of features I'd love to see make it to Reason though. Here's hoping we get an announcement soon...

mreese80

21 Jan 2016

tt_lab wrote:I can tell you I saw that coming. But remember a lot of the best music is done with less features.
this is true tt, but the audio editing is so behind compared to other daws. especially akai's. We both know how we can edit, slice, & chop in realtime and now while sampling. I'm not gonna talk about vst support no more, I've decided to just import the stems. That's a fix i'll have to settle for. Reason is a great daw. I just can't edit audio the way i can in akai's software. And i'm sure you'll agree. I can go on all day about what it doesn't have, but i would like to see them fix what they have right now before bringing in other features. But they are slow, compared to other daws. It's a personal preference as i've stated. "I am not shitting on Reason"... they just need to make some serious adjustments man. And if the Kong is sort of like a MPC (don't quote me on that)...than lets add some of those features as well. 16 level mode. Some Pad banks, note repeat, pad offset... Maybe it's me but it seems like Reason is geared towards a certain genre of music, maybe i'm wrong.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

21 Jan 2016

avasopht wrote:I'm curious as to how it is slowing you down, would it be better for you to use rewire and treat reason more like a plugin?

I'm not even concerned with vst plugins no more. i'll just bounce the audio and import back into reason. i deal with a lot of audio. This part needs a major update.

mrj1nx

21 Jan 2016

I can only agree, this ship has sailed. For me it was 2 MAJOR things that was the drop. #1 no VST support, meaning being severely limited compared to almost all other daws out there in the world today. #2 no reselling of RE's ,meaning the longer you stay, the deeper the hole you're digging yourself into. I just felt like I've had enough of being limited by artificial barriers. I'm glad I cut my losses now, I have about 50 RE's, all the 3 big bundles and all the major synths, most of them can't compete with what is out there on the VST/AU market anyways because of the limited RE format that puts limits on what devs can do, as you all know, it's been discussed to death already in this forum. I am now working with synth's like Spire (sounds amazing btw), Synapse Audio Dune 2, Rob Papen Explorer III :shock: and honestly couldn't be happier (what ever DAW i choose from now on, I bring my plugins with me), whatever nice workflow Reason has (which I absolutely love) is partly really good, but also partly habits. I switched from Reason back in November, and sure, for a few weeks I reached for the usual things I used to do in Reason, but after getting the hang of my new DAW the only real thing I still actively miss from Reason is actually Alligator. A unit that can easily be built in some daws using a band split and then put a trance gate plugin in each band + whatever effects you so desire. That was my 2 cents on why I left Reason (for the second time).

mreese80

21 Jan 2016

Skullture wrote:
mreese80 wrote:The sound & quality is great, which is why I love it. But it doesn't have what I get in other daws. I've sacrificed long enough. I'll be back if props adds the features that I need for my music creation. And before the attacking begins, remember guys, it's a workflow preference. Good daw, but behind...
So that little remark of yours needs to have a topic opened on this? Could you at least point out what your problem is? You know, press a little on pain points, issues, etc.. Be more detailed?
If my remark/post bothers you, just don't comment on it. It's that simple. Detailed enough???

mreese80

21 Jan 2016

mrj1nx wrote:I can only agree, this ship has sailed. For me it was 2 MAJOR things that was the drop. #1 no VST support, meaning being severely limited compared to almost all other daws out there in the world today. #2 no reselling of RE's ,meaning the longer you stay, the deeper the hole you're digging yourself into. I just felt like I've had enough of being limited by artificial barriers. I'm glad I cut my losses now, I have about 50 RE's, all the 3 big bundles and all the major synths, most of them can't compete with what is out there on the VST/AU market anyways because of the limited RE format that puts limits on what devs can do, as you all know, it's been discussed to death already in this forum. I am now working with synth's like Spire (sounds amazing btw), Synapse Audio Dune 2, Rob Papen Explorer III :shock: and honestly couldn't be happier (what ever DAW i choose from now on, I bring my plugins with me), whatever nice workflow Reason has (which I absolutely love) is partly really good, but also partly habits. I switched from Reason back in November, and sure, for a few weeks I reached for the usual things I used to do in Reason, but after getting the hang of my new DAW the only real thing I still actively miss from Reason is actually Alligator. A unit that can easily be built in some daws using a band split and then put a trance gate plugin in each band + whatever effects you so desire. That was my 2 cents on why I left Reason (for the second time).
Man, you talk about wanting vst support in reason and they damn near want to cut off your head. RE's are so limited, i agree. But it's all about having low cpu with reason and that's fine so i won't go into that. Dune 2 is great by the way. I just can't edit the audio the way i want to in Reason without it being a hastle man. I love the daw overall, but i deal without a lot of audio. The way i can chop it and slice it in akai's mpc software is how i would like to be able to work with audio in Reason. I love Reason for it's analogue feel and amazing synth building. But when i'm dealing with audio, i don't want to strain myself doing it anymore. Akai and Ableton does a great job with audio, but Akai is the best right now IMO. I still believe Reason could be #1, but they have to make adjustments.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote: ... . especially akai's. We both know how we can edit, slice, & chop in realtime and now while sampling ..
Aah that explains it!

tt_lab

21 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote:
this is true tt, but the audio editing is so behind compared to other daws. especially akai's. We both know how we can edit, slice, & chop in realtime and now while sampling. I'm not gonna talk about vst support no more, I've decided to just import the stems. That's a fix i'll have to settle for. Reason is a great daw. I just can't edit audio the way i can in akai's software. And i'm sure you'll agree. I can go on all day about what it doesn't have, but i would like to see them fix what they have right now before bringing in other features. But they are slow, compared to other daws. It's a personal preference as i've stated. "I am not shitting on Reason"... they just need to make some serious adjustments man. And if the Kong is sort of like a MPC (don't quote me on that)...than lets add some of those features as well. 16 level mode. Some Pad banks, note repeat, pad offset... Maybe it's me but it seems like Reason is geared towards a certain genre of music, maybe i'm wrong.
You are right on audio editing IMO.That's why I use the same aproach you described approach I use mainly. Work on the mpc software and export stems, then put some other sounds from reason and mix.

Skullture

21 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote:
Skullture wrote:
If my remark/post bothers you, just don't comment on it. It's that simple. Detailed enough???
I asked a valid question. I didn't ask for your passive aggressive response. Think before you post.

Lizard

21 Jan 2016

OK. I feel a little more for mreese80 at the moment. I have always felt that Kong could be... just a little bit more. I do believe some of the things might be able to be accomplished by using combinators but not all of it and certainly not as fluid as one would like. Pad Banks I think could with some fairly easy shifting between sample sets. But I have been begging for Note Repeat in Kong for a while or better yet "latch" mode triggering for Rex Loops on a pad. This would bring Kong a little closer to MPC style playing. I'm actually cool with the audio editng/slicing ability within Reason but it isn't full featured for actual audio processing. It would be really cool if you could launch clips to and from your favorite audio editor (My Wishlist). If you are usaed to audio editing (like me too and generally not bothered by it) you can very easily run VSTi in stand alone mode using SAVIHost and running them from an EMI device and a virtual MIDI cable like LoopMIDI. SAVIHost has a built in WAV recorder of which the output of course then can be imported into a Reason Audio Track, chopped, REXed and reused in whatever you like.

mreese80

21 Jan 2016

Lizard wrote:OK. I feel a little more for mreese80 at the moment. I have always felt that Kong could be... just a little bit more. I do believe some of the things might be able to be accomplished by using combinators but not all of it and certainly not as fluid as one would like. Pad Banks I think could with some fairly easy shifting between sample sets. But I have been begging for Note Repeat in Kong for a while or better yet "latch" mode triggering for Rex Loops on a pad. This would bring Kong a little closer to MPC style playing. I'm actually cool with the audio editng/slicing ability within Reason but it isn't full featured for actual audio processing. It would be really cool if you could launch clips to and from your favorite audio editor (My Wishlist). If you are usaed to audio editing (like me too and generally not bothered by it) you can very easily run VSTi in stand alone mode using SAVIHost and running them from an EMI device and a virtual MIDI cable like LoopMIDI. SAVIHost has a built in WAV recorder of which the output of course then can be imported into a Reason Audio Track, chopped, REXed and reused in whatever you like.
the Kong could do more. hell, in the mpc software all we have to do is hold the letter "n" and press a pad, and there is our note repeat. Simple fix. i just want them to step it up

• Information