Samplers play samples unwanted faster the more higher the notes are.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sceptny

13 Jan 2016

Hi,
i have the problem that the two samplers in reason play the original sample faster and faster the higher the notes are and slower and slower the deeper the notes are..How can i fix that?

normen

13 Jan 2016

Thats what samplers do in general. You could use Reasons audio transpose and bounce versions for each note in the sequencer.

dioxide

13 Jan 2016

normen wrote:Thats what samplers do in general. You could use Reasons audio transpose and bounce versions for each note in the sequencer.
Come on Normen, that's not a helpful answer ;)

I'm away from my computer so can't check but what you are talking about is normally referred to as Key Tracking. If say you wanted five keys on the sampler (or more) to play the sample at the same pitch you'd want to disable key tracking which is the thing that varies the speed of the sample depending on what key you press.

If you look in the Help menu in Reason there is a link to the online manual. On there you will find a section on the sampler you are using. There should be something helpful in there, so see what you can find. I'd check myself but im not near my laptop right now.

normen

13 Jan 2016

dioxide wrote:Come on Normen, that's not a helpful answer ;)

I'm away from my computer so can't check but what you are talking about is normally referred to as Key Tracking. If say you wanted five keys on the sampler (or more) to play the sample at the same pitch you'd want to disable key tracking which is the thing that varies the speed of the sample depending on what key you press.

If you look in the Help menu in Reason there is a link to the online manual. On there you will find a section on the sampler you are using. There should be something helpful in there, so see what you can find. I'd check myself but im not near my laptop right now.
Uhm, I was supposing OP wants the pitch to change but not the speed. How is my answer not helpful in that respect?

dioxide

13 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
dioxide wrote:Come on Normen, that's not a helpful answer ;)

Uhm, I was supposing OP wants the pitch to change but not the speed. How is my answer not helpful in that respect?
Ah I see now, the OP wants a time stretching sampler. In that case you're bang on. I guess people just take it for granted that samplers can stretch audio these days ;) I am old :D

Wook

13 Jan 2016

Unfortunately, you can't do that in Reason. Ableton is the only daw that does this on the fly as far as I know. You can even play chords with your sample. It pitches it differently but timing is the same. Fantastic feature.

mreese80

13 Jan 2016

Wook wrote:Unfortunately, you can't do that in Reason. Ableton is the only daw that does this on the fly as far as I know. You can even play chords with your sample. It pitches it differently but timing is the same. Fantastic feature.

yes. Ableton 9.5 has a lot of great new features. i love Ableton. We can also slice audio in real time which is another feature i am waiting to appear in Reason.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Raveshaper

13 Jan 2016

There is a way to do this in reason but it's a real piece of work to accomplish.

First you have to figure out the number of the key you are using relative to middle c. If it's lower than middle c, it's going to be a negative number. If it's higher, a positive number. The number of the key you are using must be between -60 and +60.

Next, you need to calculate tempo. The formula for this is as follows:

32 * (2^(1/12))^k, where k is the number of your key.

Calculate the tempo you need for the key you are using and set it as the project tempo.

Next, you need to capture the output of the sequencer to an audio track. Make sure the audio clip you recorded has its time stretching set to "all around". The other settings sound worse.

After all of the notes are recorded (you can create automation in the tempo lane to speed this up), set the project tempo to the desired bpm and turn off tempo automation.

The result once you get to this point is that all of the audio you captured will remain in time, but have the pitch you wanted. It's just an insane mess getting it to happen instead of what Ableton does instantly.

The only reason you would do my method is if you want to pitch bend up or down and retain speed. You would need to do a lot more calculations to achieve this, of course. Otherwise, transposing audio is simpler. It's just limited to linear changes in notes.

But yes, you can do this. I don't blame anybody for thinking otherwise.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

normen

13 Jan 2016

Erm.. Much easier solution (as I already suggested above): Put the sample on an audio track, copy it once for each note you need, select each part and use the "transpose" function in the top bar of the sequencer, then bounce each part and import it to a sampler instrument.

Stranger.

14 Jan 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 20 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

phasys

14 Jan 2016

You guys are making things quite complicated for someone who apparently doesn't even know how a sampler works.

normen

14 Jan 2016

phasys wrote:You guys are making things quite complicated for someone who apparently doesn't even know how a sampler works.
You grow with the task ^^

phasys

14 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
phasys wrote:You guys are making things quite complicated for someone who apparently doesn't even know how a sampler works.
You grow with the task ^^
You actually posted the best reply. The only flaw was that you didn't explain why the speed is affected when you change the pitch in a sample.

normen

14 Jan 2016

phasys wrote:You actually posted the best reply. The only flaw was that you didn't explain why the speed is affected when you change the pitch in a sample.
Well these forums can get complicated when you try to explain WHY things are as they are ;)

Raveshaper

14 Jan 2016

I don't understand how the real time application of stretching works when pitch and tempo are synchronized. But, it does. And it's pretty great. Just a total mess to get working. To my knowledge, Simpler doesn't keep things in time when you pitch bend? Right?

dioxide

14 Jan 2016

phasys wrote:The only flaw was that you didn't explain why the speed is affected when you change the pitch in a sample.
It's like playing a record. So when the record plays faster the sounds increases in pitch. But how do you explain this to someone who grew up in the MP3 age? It's like playing a tape. So when the... Arggh dammit!! ;)

It's just like that because that's how it is. Okay?

Wook

14 Jan 2016

Raveshaper wrote:I don't understand how the real time application of stretching works when pitch and tempo are synchronized. But, it does. And it's pretty great. Just a total mess to get working. To my knowledge, Simpler doesn't keep things in time when you pitch bend? Right?
Germans.

phasys

14 Jan 2016

dioxide wrote:
phasys wrote:The only flaw was that you didn't explain why the speed is affected when you change the pitch in a sample.
It's like playing a record. So when the record plays faster the sounds increases in pitch. But how do you explain this to someone who grew up in the MP3 age? It's like playing a tape. So when the... Arggh dammit!! ;)

It's just like that because that's how it is. Okay?
It's quite easy really. Explain that the pitch goes up BECAUSE the sample is played faster :P

normen

14 Jan 2016

phasys wrote:It's quite easy really. Explain that the pitch goes up BECAUSE the sample is played faster :P
o_O That would be using what OP experienced as an explanation for what he experienced...

Raveshaper

14 Jan 2016

The closest I can come to a description of what is going on here is that the sampler is scaling the waveform of the sample according to the note relative to the root key of the sample.

When a higher note is played the waveform is scaled smaller from left to right, which makes the period of the waveform increase, resulting in a higher pitch.

When a lower note is played the waveform is scaled larger from left to right, which makes the period of the waveform decrease, resulting in a lower pitch.

The reason the speed of the sample appears to change is because the playback speed remains constant, rather than scaling along with the waveform.
So, playing a sample that has been pitched up or played with a higher note appears faster because the play head is crossing more of the audio more quickly due to scaling the waveform down horizontally. And playing a sample that has been pitched down or played with a lower note appears slower because the play head is crossing less of the audio more slowly due to scaling the waveform up horizontally.

The obvious solution to this is to do what Ableton did and scale the play head's position along with the waveform to preserve the original sample's timing. Instead of playing the entire waveform no matter the key, Ableton is playing slices of the audio at certain subdivisions of the sound that are determined by the scaling being applied by the current note.

phasys

17 Jan 2016

normen wrote:
phasys wrote:It's quite easy really. Explain that the pitch goes up BECAUSE the sample is played faster :P
o_O That would be using what OP experienced as an explanation for what he experienced...
No. Absolutely not. Unless you have problems with the word "because". Or cause and effect.

You play the sample faster, the intervals between waves (which is speaker movement) gets smaller, so the pitch goes up. Fucking simple really.

Stranger.

17 Jan 2016

ΣΣΣ

phasys

18 Jan 2016

Stranger. wrote:
phasys wrote:
normen wrote:
phasys wrote:You play the sample faster, the intervals between waves (which is speaker movement) gets smaller, so the pitch goes up. Fucking simple really.
Not so really.
Realtime pitching and timestretching can be an extremely complex operation in many ways.
There's absolutely 0 :re:ason why a sample can't be pitching down/slower while tempo increases.
:ugeek:
This is not about timestretching, this is explaining why a sampler behaves like it does. Fucking duh.

Stranger.

18 Jan 2016

ΣΣΣ

phasys

19 Jan 2016

Stranger. wrote:
phasys wrote:This is not about timestretching, this is explaining why a sampler behaves like it does. Fucking duh.
Lol-young phasys -- how about you explain and share part of your infinate wisdom on the subject? :redface:
Different samplers do different things..right?
Please.
You're just being a fucking annoying troll. Shut the fuck up. "Young phasys", give me a fucking break.

• Information