Reason 8.3 Upgrade Dilemma

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ClassickHitz

09 Jan 2016

I'm finding myself in a situation I've luckily been able to avoid until now as it pertains to upgrading in Reason.

Now that I'm finally ready to make the plunge to R8.3 I'm afraid a newer version will come out in 2-3 months of course meaning I should've just waited.

I really should call it more a dilemma of me just being impatient because I know Props has something coming down the pipeline fairly soon as it's been over a year (16months) since the R8's original release.

I guess I'll have to just sit in this holding pattern to wait and see if either a 8.4 update will pop up or maybe a full version 9 will be announced. Based on Propellerheads track record there definitely should be something presented this upcoming March for April but no later than July announcing a release for September.

So, in the end will I be waiting two or six months or maybe longer? I'm curious to any thoughts on this.

We shall see!

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2016

This is a tough question but if you've held out this long the last thing you want is to be a few months short of v9!

My money's on march, regardless of no guaranteed line 6 support at the end of the year. It might be removed on a point update for all we know ;)

ClassickHitz

09 Jan 2016

avasopht wrote:This is a tough question but if you've held out this long the last thing you want is to be a few months short of v9!

My money's on march, regardless of no guaranteed line 6 support at the end of the year. It might be removed on a point update for all we know ;)
Yeah, that's what my gut is telling me. I've waited this long...

tronam

09 Jan 2016

If anything is released within the next 3 months it'll probably be R8.4. According to their blog post it's still incoming and for all we know R8.5 after that. It's anyone's guess.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

joeyluck

09 Jan 2016

Sorry for your dilemma haha. I always say, the longer you wait the more you speculate about waiting. Upgrade if the version has features you would like to have and use now. For instance, when 8.3 was released, I had to have the RV7000 MkII as I knew I could put it to great use.

Nobody knows when Reason 9 will be announced/released. Nobody knows what it will include.
As mentioned here, there was an 8.4 teased and we know that Line 6 is being removed by October 2016.
That could mean anything, but take from it what you will...

MarkTarlton

09 Jan 2016

if you were a member on the old puf you will remember all the complaints when R8 came out...there were a bunch of things that bummed out a lot of people. the point I am trying to make is if you feel you are ready to upgrade just do it, it's not like you have to get R9 the day it comes out, you can wait for as long as you want and maybe even skip the R9 if you are happy with R8. I am still on R7 and have no reason to go to R8, I hate the way it looks! I didn't like it at all when I tested it when it was time to be creative, and make a track, so I stayed away... and unless R9 blows me away I will continue to stay on my older system. it's not like if I upgrade I am going to be making better tracks or saving anytime...there are still so many things that seem so outdated to me, and the things props tend to add never seem to answer my wants/needs, so I use what it is necessary for me to do my job.

tronam

09 Jan 2016

MarkTarlton wrote:if you were a member on the old puf you will remember all the complaints when R8 came out...there were a bunch of things that bummed out a lot of people. the point I am trying to make is if you feel you are ready to upgrade just do it, it's not like you have to get R9 the day it comes out, you can wait for as long as you want and maybe even skip the R9 if you are happy with R8. I am still on R7 and have no reason to go to R8, I hate the way it looks! I didn't like it at all when I tested it when it was time to be creative, and make a track, so I stayed away... and unless R9 blows me away I will continue to stay on my older system. it's not like if I upgrade I am going to be making better tracks or saving anytime...there are still so many things that seem so outdated to me, and the things props tend to add never seem to answer my wants/needs, so I use what it is necessary for me to do my job.
The UI took some getting used to, but over time I must've made some kind of mental transition because now it's really difficult for me to load up R7 anymore. I miss too many things; even simple workflow enhancements like the Z key which I use constantly. Now with the RV7000 mkII it feels like an even more substantial upgrade, but PH's upgrade policies don't punish for waiting, so patience can pay off too since there's no doubt R9 will have even more bang-for-buck.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Dave909

09 Jan 2016

RV7000MKII made me jump on the upgrade when the 100 deal was up. It's a change to 7 for sure but i have to say that it brings more good changes than bad ones. I would say go for it as you'll at least get 6 months of use out of it before a probable release of 9. The updated reverb with the convolution options is a crazy upgrade reverb wise :)

Gulale

09 Jan 2016

If you are so interested in Reason 8, do this. Go to KVR and sell your Reason 7 license from 100 to 90 dollar. And then buy Reason 8 for 150. It is a win win.
Gulale aka Bereket

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2016

Gulale wrote:If you are so interested in Reason 8, do this. Go to KVR and sell your Reason 7 license from 100 to 90 dollar. And then buy Reason 8 for 150. It is a win win.
That's a great idea!

Vince-Noir-99

09 Jan 2016

Gulale wrote:If you are so interested in Reason 8, do this. Go to KVR and sell your Reason 7 license from 100 to 90 dollar. And then buy Reason 8 for 150. It is a win win.
isn't that a win win with a 249€ catch? :puf_bigsmile:

zakalwe

09 Jan 2016

there's just no way of telling if reason 9 is coming out as they hardly ever let anything on. reason 8 was a surprise (to be nice about it) and especially given its 'mixed' reception they may want to take their time really making 9 special.

or yeah, march. lol. just ask yourself if you can live without it i guess and what else you could buy with the money.

Creativemind

09 Jan 2016

Yeah there's rumours of an 8.4. I was hoping before the end of last year but now hoping before Feb. Then probably March / April, if not even May for Reason 9. They usually announce it a month before, so hopefully they'll release 8.4 in the next 4 weeks and then in 4-6 weeks after we might hear that Reason 9 is on it's way. Does seem mightily soon after an update though (4-6 weeks) all be a point update. We could be looking May be honest.

I do get your dilemma though, £100 is £100. If you upgraded then a couple of weeks after they announced Reason 9, if you're like me, you'd be gutted. It is £10-15 cheaper on Amazon though than through the Propellerhead site.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

gak

09 Jan 2016

8.4 was a bit more than a rumor (sorry, I don't have the link, someone will) but that's now been quite some time so not sure.

Maybe if you can wait until Namm and see what they say (if they even go)

joeyluck

09 Jan 2016

I took the 8.4 'tease' as them trying to be a little more open and to reassure users that point releases will be common and to help alleviate some hesitation in upgrading. Not only did the video with RV7000 MkII make me want to to grade, the line in the video, "There's never been a better time to upgrade" made it even more encouraging.

joeyluck

09 Jan 2016

gak wrote:8.4 was a bit more than a rumor (sorry, I don't have the link, someone will) but that's now been quite some time so not sure.

Maybe if you can wait until Namm and see what they say (if they even go)
It was in a Propellerhead blog post... Don't remember who. But that's where to look.

And it looks like they will be at NAMM:
https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2016/directory

Probably showcasing what they currently have available is my guess

gak

09 Jan 2016

Well, I know that people that are in the "know" cannot divulge the actual development so I'm guessing that will be true too.

Namm is mostly just a bore in the last decade. That should be xmas in January for software peeps.

ClassickHitz

10 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:Here's the blog post. It was Leo:
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/reason-83-is-here
I've decided to wait. I totally forgot about NAMM.

It makes sense to at least see what Props will be presenting (if anything at all) at the show.

If they are keeping to their usual update/upgrade time schedule of March/April and September/October, then I should at the very least be waiting just a couple of months for 8.4 based on Leo's June blog timetable. And March 30th would make it 10-months since that posting.

After reading everyone's input I definitely have a stronger feeling something is coming sooner for sure!

• Information