Now I understand why many Reason 7 users don't upgrade to R8

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Alkua

09 Nov 2015

I was watching how Reason has growth from version 4 to 8.

Top features for R5

- Dr. Octo Rex
- Kong Drum Designer
- Neptune (in record)
- Multi-core Optimization
- Block Pattern sequencing

Look good to Upgrade

Top features for R6

- SSl Mixer
- Pulverizer
- The Echo
- Neptune (in Reason)
- Alligator
- Audio recoding
- Line 6 amps

That was a very good upgrade

Top feature for R7

- Spectrum EQ
- Audio Slicing (like Recycle)
- Bus Channels
- Synchronous (free in the first month upgrade)
- External Midi device

Not bad, I will upgrade

Top feature for reason 8

- New Browser
- Discovery integration
- Automatic (Free, But if this RE wasn't I will buy it on sale)
- Softube amps (Free, I will never buy them)

WTF!

Reason 8.1+

- Zoom mode
- More Colors
- Convolution Reverb
- Easy installation for update

Not enough.

Even though, I have Reason 8 because I upgraded from Reason 5.
I hope the next upgrade bring good stuff.

Exowildebeest

09 Nov 2015

I thought it was enough. I've been asking for a new browser since forever. And my "workflow", or simply put, workspeed, has improved enormously.

On the other hand, I understand people holding off for a while. Nothing wrong with that. Some people still love Reason 5 and its simplicity...

Alkua

09 Nov 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I thought it was enough. I've been asking for a new browser since forever. And my "workflow", or simply put, workspeed, has improved enormously.

On the other hand, I understand people holding off for a while. Nothing wrong with that. Some people still love Reason 5 and its simplicity...

I like the new browser, but I like the other browser too. The thing is, user have to pay $129 for features that don't need. I have never used softube amps, and I was good with the old browser

True

09 Nov 2015

Alkua wrote:user have to pay $129 for features that don't need.
And that is my issue. So far, I haven't seen anywhere near a $129 value since R7. All together, with the new reverb I'd say it's finally to the point that $129 is a fair price. But that's just what I'd consider fair, not what I would pay for it. To me it's more like $60 - $80.

And to top it off, all these "point" updates...when do they end? I'm sure as hell not going to finally decide that 8.4 is worth the upgrade price just to see R9 come out 7 months later. No, I'm waiting for R9, no matter what. Props did R8 wrong, and it cost them my sale. I'm sticking to that.

True

09 Nov 2015

[Edit]Duplicate post. Not sure what happened.
Last edited by True on 09 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

09 Nov 2015

The RV7000 MKII alone was worth the price of the upgrade for me. I initially saw the new browser as a bonus, but don't know how I have lived without it!

It comes up again and again; Not every upgrade will be for everyone. I tend to place less value on included devices with new versions of Reason because we have Rack Extensions now and can buy the devices that we need at our own leisure :)

So things like the awesome new browser, updated native devices (before they become REs...if they ever become REs) and things that seek to improve the core program are things I want to continue to see with Reason updates. If you want A-List Pop Chords, you can buy that or not buy that. Folks in the past have wanted more flexibility and now we have that. And there are ridiculous bundles in the shop.

EnochLight

09 Nov 2015

Meh... I felt 8 was sort of worth it. I upgraded and tried going back to 7 and couldn't stand using the old browser, at all. Drag and drop in 8 just made it much more usable for me. But now that the additional point updates have added revert (mimicking the old browser "cancel" patch browsing), "Drop to Propellerhead" and "Open in Reason" features along with Discover, a convolution reverb, detached rack window can now have a separate browser panels, MIDI focus to a device directly from the rack, remember log in and password for internet verification (which I use often), channel updates (updating is now optionally automatic and just 100 MB - a tenth of its old size), and the Zoom to Selection function... I dunno, it just makes upgrading from an older version of Reason to 8.3 a much easier decision, IMHO.

But hey, each person has their own metric of value. YMMV, and clearly it does.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

09 Nov 2015

True wrote:
Alkua wrote:user have to pay $129 for features that don't need.
And to top it off, all these "point" updates...when do they end? I'm sure as hell not going to finally decide that 8.4 is worth the upgrade price just to see R9 come out 7 months later. No, I'm waiting for R9, no matter what. Props did R8 wrong, and it cost them my sale. I'm sticking to that.
You're confusing "features I don't need" with "wrong".

I think they were completely right to work on the browser and GUI to facilitate further evolution of Reason. It's boring, but it had to be done.

Gorilla Texas

09 Nov 2015

EnochLight wrote:Meh... I felt 8 was sort of worth it. I upgraded and tried going back to 7 and couldn't stand using the old browser, at all. Drag and drop in 8 just made it much more usable for me. But now that the additional point updates have added revert (mimicking the old browser "cancel" patch browsing), "Drop to Propellerhead" and "Open in Reason" features along with Discover, a convolution reverb, detached rack window can now have a separate browser panels, MIDI focus to a device directly from the rack, remember log in and password for internet verification (which I use often), channel updates (updating is now optionally automatic and just 100 MB - a tenth of its old size), and the Zoom to Selection function... I dunno, it just makes upgrading from an older version of Reason to 8.3 a much easier decision, IMHO.

What do you mean by midi focus in the rack? Can post a pick?

zeebot

09 Nov 2015

New browser = nope (doesn't interest me)
Softube amps = nope (would hardly if ever use them)
Workflow improvements = nope (the improvements are more of a hinderance to the way I work and would stick to my methods)
Zoom = nope (never use it)
More colors = nope (don't care)
New look transport = nope (horrid)
Discover integration = nope (don't and wouldn't use the service)
Rv7000 update = yep (well done props, great update)
Access to updates = yep (if it's painless)

Worth parting with my money = nope.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Exowildebeest

09 Nov 2015

Gorilla Texas wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Meh... I felt 8 was sort of worth it. I upgraded and tried going back to 7 and couldn't stand using the old browser, at all. Drag and drop in 8 just made it much more usable for me. But now that the additional point updates have added revert (mimicking the old browser "cancel" patch browsing), "Drop to Propellerhead" and "Open in Reason" features along with Discover, a convolution reverb, detached rack window can now have a separate browser panels, MIDI focus to a device directly from the rack, remember log in and password for internet verification (which I use often), channel updates (updating is now optionally automatic and just 100 MB - a tenth of its old size), and the Zoom to Selection function... I dunno, it just makes upgrading from an older version of Reason to 8.3 a much easier decision, IMHO.

They're big blue arrows on the device/Combinator you've selected in the rack, and clicking on them gives them MIDI input focus and creates a track.

I didn't need them and think they're ugly, but for people who work a lot with MIDI control it's very useful.

Gorilla Texas

09 Nov 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
Gorilla Texas wrote:

They're big blue arrows on the device/Combinator you've selected in the rack, and clicking on them gives them MIDI input focus and creates a track.

I didn't need them and think they're ugly, but for people who work a lot with MIDI control it's very useful.
Oh ok thanks thought it might be something else.

EnochLight

09 Nov 2015

I'll wager that at some point, likely in Reason 9, we'll see changes in the RE SDK that will require the latest version of Reason to showcase the new feature (such as sample loading in RE's or enhancements to the custom displays). I'll also wager that Props will release an RE along with it to showcase the new feature.

For those who buy RE's but are on a pre-8 version, would this change alone make you upgrade?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

True

09 Nov 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:You're confusing "features I don't need" with "wrong".
No, the "wrong" has nothing to do with what I need but with fair and reasonable business expectations. What was wrong was equating a "point" update with one that it was fair to charge full price for, to include only replacement REs and nothing actually value-added. And I am far from the only one who has felt that way.

As 8.3 stands, it still isn't something I need to the point of justifying the expense, but as I said above, it is finally to the point that $129 is a fair asking price. So again, no.

jonheal

09 Nov 2015

Threads like these run in circles. "Value" is entirely subjective and 10 different people will give 10 different answers.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

dioxide

09 Nov 2015

I thought Audiomatic came with a previous version, like R7?
https://ask.audio/articles/reason-7-wha ... ransformer

So in reality R8 had less to offer.

R8 looks more tempting now since they added things but at release it was a bit underwhelming for people who don't play guitar like me.

True

09 Nov 2015

dioxide wrote:for people who don't play guitar like me.
Even for those of us who do play guitar, that doesn't mean we're interested in software-based amplifiers. But the Softube amps weren't really there to attract guitar players; they were there to replace the deprecated Line 6 amps. Props played them up for hype, but that's why they were included, and Props even said as much.

Jmax

09 Nov 2015

Reason has everything I need to be happy.

BUT the scroll bar colors are horrible. Please FIX this so we can actually see.

BUT if there was a hold and zoom option ..like click at the top of the transport hold and zoom.. this would save so much time. Like in every other daw, Ableton and Studioone. and I wouldn't care about the scroll bar colors cause I wouldn't need to use it!

This one thing costs me at least 4 seconds everytime I need to move the track around. That adds up to hours.

pjeudy

09 Nov 2015

REASON 8 I think should have been R7.5... a free point update:

1. Being able to copy past track while Reason is in play : should have been FREE
2. Double click on a note to add or remove: should have been FREE
3. the new Browser : should have been FREE
4. having 3oo undo is SUPER great: Should have been FREE
5. Zoom Mode is good: Should have been FREE
6. Easy installation for update : Should Have been FREE

Reason 6,6.5,7 are all worth paying for In My Opinion...REASON gets 9/10 and all types of Great reviews and award on the Earlier version of there Software...with all that, I think that Props should have been a little embarrassed at there Browser and Stopping play just to copy and paste etc....So therefor with the community of DAW's Logic,Ableton,Studio one,Pro Tools ect... which Propellerheads is now a part of, all those updates in R8 should have been FREE in order to save face in these MODERN times !!! Not charge there customers $129 for copy and paste while playing and double click to add a note, seriously? come on !?!

If they want $129 for that update....What happens if they add a new synth/Device that they feel adds value...will the updates cost $200-250-300 dollars? (Sarcasm) :puf_unhappy:

To be clear of course at this point (compared to Other DAWs) anything added no matter how small can make a big difference....but that REASON 8 update for 129 was not cool at all...it goes hand in hand with REASON Record !
Last edited by pjeudy on 09 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

tiker01

09 Nov 2015

Jmax wrote:Reason has everything I need to be happy.

BUT the scroll bar colors are horrible. Please FIX this so we can actually see.

BUT if there was a hold and zoom option ..like click at the top of the transport hold and zoom.. this would save so much time. Like in every other daw, Ableton and Studioone. and I wouldn't care about the scroll bar colors cause I wouldn't need to use it!

This one thing costs me at least 4 seconds everytime I need to move the track around. That adds up to hours.
I think it is [Shift]+drag on the inspector above the transport bar but it definitely exists already!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

EnochLight

09 Nov 2015

pjeudy wrote:...but that REASON 8 update for 129 I was not cool at all...it goes hand in hand with REASON Record !
To be fair, Props were trying to create a new product (and revenue stream) by making Record. Obviously, in a market so crowded with DAW, Record's only truly unique selling feature was direct integration with Reason, so they failed, and realized joining the two and sticking to a single flagship was the better option (hence, Reason 6 gave everyone Record + Reason and the "pay what you want" promo gave it to them for next to nothing if you really wanted to do that).

But yeah, I get what you're trying to say.

txh003

09 Nov 2015

dioxide wrote:R8 looks more tempting now since they added things but at release it was a bit underwhelming for people who don't play guitar like me.
I am a bassist and guitarist of 35 and 30 years, respectively. However, I still find the R8 upgrade underwhelming. Furthermore, the bass and guitar amps are replacements, not true additions to Reason, for the future removal of the Line6 products.

I look forward to R9, but honestly do not foresee anything of significance that would cause me to upgrade, especially in light of the fact that I Reason is no longer my go-to production environment. Hopefully, Props will surprise me.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Alkua

09 Nov 2015

This is my first time that I watch the Introduction video of Record. I was a Logic Pro user went record came out.

Now I understand a little be more how Propellerhead think.

The speaker say something like this "Record is for Musician, not for audio engineer"
That why Prop prefer to upgrade the colors, midi focus, browser, etc... instead of audio engineer features.

CharlyCharlzz

09 Nov 2015

Bus also came with grouping in version 7 !
you also forgot parallèle chanel's , audio quantize , import mp3 LOL
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Gulale

10 Nov 2015

I always see or consider purchasing things as a way of saying thank you. If something works or makes my life easier I will gladly do that even if that product is provided for free and have a donation box, I will donate. When it comes to Reason 8 as a mixer, It hasn't benefits me a tiny bit. I was expecting extended EQ like studio one highly improved compressors In general I was expecting overall Reason upgrade. In return I got the ever existed drag and drop since the invention of Windows. Do you have any idea how it hurts to put kong just to use the transient designer? Ohhh dear all I see on my screen will be one big ass kong rack. Does it hurt for PH to include those Kong effect unit on rack? I never liked the RV7000 reverb since day one It has no body it is just plastic sounding reverb of all time. That is why I repeatedly asked PH to bring another decent reverb since version 5 after a very very long time they introduced one. If you get your child when reason 5 is released Now he is in grade one. Life is too short and PH rides turtles to go one place to another.
The sad part is they have forgotten they are closed environment. And users are depend on them. My expectation is reason was suppose to be 1 step froward comparing to other DAWs but it is the other way rounds. Do you really prefer fiddling the whole afternoon with reason or have native instruments product?
I rest my case.
Gulale aka Bereket

• Information