EQ Spectrum analysing send channels in the Mixer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
iramrezso

20 Mar 2015

How can be send channels in the Mixer be EQ spectrum analyzed? The built-in EQ display works only for channels as far as I know.

I see only two spectrum analyzers in the shop however:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -analyzer/
It eats a lot of CPU power.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... +Equalizer
It's pricey.

Do you have suggestions?

Olivier

20 Mar 2015

No Re's needed...

Take the FX send out of the Master section, into a newly created mix channel's input, and connect the direct out to the matching FX return.
Then build your FX chain in the Insert FX of that the Mix channel.
You can use the buildin EQ and Spectrum analyzer of the channel.

Just be carefull to not make a feedback loop by enabling the send to that channel, on that channel....

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

iramrezso

20 Mar 2015

eauhm wrote:No Re's needed...

Take the FX send out of the Master section, into a newly created mix channel's input, and connect the direct out to the matching FX return.

Just be carefull to not make a feedback loop by enabling the send to that channel, on that channel....
Wow, sounds good. Sure, the feedback loop may be dangerous. However don't know how the program would react to this :)

Thanks.

Olivier

20 Mar 2015

eauhm wrote:No Re's needed...

iramrezso wrote:
Wow, sounds good. Sure, the feedback loop may be dangerous. However don't know how the program would react to this :)

Thanks.
YW! Playing with feedback loops can be cool sometimes though.
I like to do this sometimes to route some signal from one FX send into the other. If you're carefull enough its not hard to dial in just enough signal to get nice feedback that doesn't get out of control.

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

You can change the send to "pre" and pull the channel fader down, then the master analyzer will show only the 'returns' (and you will hear only returns). Too bad the analyzer can't be assigned to the Control Room out, as you could do this quickly by "listening" to the FX returns only. 
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

selig wrote:You can change the send to "pre" and pull the channel fader down, then the master analyzer will show only the 'returns' (and you will hear only returns). Too bad the analyzer can't be assigned to the Control Room out, as you could do this quickly by "listening" to the FX returns only. 
You could always place a mix channel in-between the Master Section Ctrl Room out and the Audio I/O, then analyzer would work on whatever you select in the Control Room out section.

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

selig wrote:You can change the send to "pre" and pull the channel fader down, then the master analyzer will show only the 'returns' (and you will hear only returns). Too bad the analyzer can't be assigned to the Control Room out, as you could do this quickly by "listening" to the FX returns only. 
rcbuse wrote:
You could always place a mix channel in-between the Master Section Ctrl Room out and the Audio I/O, then analyzer would work on whatever you select in the Control Room out section.
Love it - would never have thought of doing that myself, but it's the most elegant solution I've seen. I may have to try it myself!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

20 Mar 2015

rcbuse wrote:
selig wrote:
Love it - would never have thought of doing that myself, but it's the most elegant solution I've seen. I may have to try it myself!!!
This is really great. Use the mix channel input, and the direct outs. This even works for send effects directly. Just use the Mix Channel instead of a Combinator. Send into the input, and return from the Direct Outs.

I (carefully) checked to see what happens if you send a Mix Channel to itself when wired up that way. For what ever reason it doesn't feed back. But the signal sent to it does end up mixed into the return at the expected level.

Game changer. :)

ScuzzyEye

20 Mar 2015

In fact there doesn't appear to be the 64 sample delay that you get when you return directly to the inputs of a Mix Channel. Perfect.

ALSO: It works with parallel channels of the one receiving the send. Bus all the parallels to new Bus, and use the Direct Out of the bus channel to the Return.

rcbuse
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: This even works for send effects directly. Just use the Mix Channel instead of a Combinator. Send into the input, and return from the Direct Outs.
Ever since I tried running sends to their own mix channel I've never gone back.  I don't use the returns either, just all sends get their own submix.  What I love doing is then using the sends on those channels to feed back into the other sends.

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-03-20_at_10.26.24_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-03-20_at_10.26.24_PM.png (334.77 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: This even works for send effects directly. Just use the Mix Channel instead of a Combinator. Send into the input, and return from the Direct Outs.
rcbuse wrote:
Ever since I tried running sends to their own mix channel I've never gone back.  I don't use the returns either, just all sends get their own submix.  What I love doing is then using the sends on those channels to feed back into the other sends.

I would have been doing this since Record, mainly because it's how I've always used a real SSL. Sadly, unlike the real SSL you cannot solo isolate mix channels when used as returns… not a huge deal but for some reason it seems to keep bugging me (old habits die hard, I guess). ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

20 Mar 2015

selig wrote: I would have been doing this since Record, mainly because it's how I've always used a real SSL. Sadly, unlike the real SSL you cannot solo isolate mix channels when used as returns… not a huge deal but for some reason it seems to keep bugging me (old habits die hard, I guess). ;)
True, True..  there have been a few times that has bothered me.

ScuzzyEye

20 Mar 2015

rcbuse wrote:Ever since I tried running sends to their own mix channel I've never gone back.  I don't use the returns either, just all sends get their own submix.  What I love doing is then using the sends on those channels to feed back into the other sends.
That's what I do sometimes. But when you don't use the returns you get a 64 sample delay added. Because there is the possibility of a feedback loop, Reason delays the audio by one batch to make sure it doesn't busy-lock.

I've also mistakenly turned on a send for a return channel, and instantly regretted it.

Piping everything back to a return solves both of those, but not the solo problem. Well, 66% isn't bad.

• Information