The Case for Reason 10

User avatar
ReasonTalk
Posts: 66
Joined: 15 Nov 2016

Post 31 Oct 2017

The Reason 10 beta started two months ago. As is customary in our world, it gave rise to both praise and criticism. Now that the official version is out, with hindsight, is it a worthy upgrade?

Read the article here!

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2243
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 31 Oct 2017

The article lacks any depth, no meat at all.

Statements like "Sharing patches for instruments among the community is fun and collaborative" fall short as we already do that with a community patches, Reason 10 is not bringing that.

"Reason is usually thought of as primarily a DAW to make electronic music, but I can see it moving more towards a general all-purpose DAW with these new organic instruments and Radical Piano. ", the sampler has been there since day one and there are plenty of excellent Refills out there to do that.

I see Reason 10 as nothing more that a bundle in the shop, the only difference is you can't buy the devices separately.

I can understand Reason 10 from a marketing point view, yes it's needed for the new customers.

The only positive thing I can say about the article is, It's well formatted.

WongoTheSane
Posts: 1516
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 31 Oct 2017

Aren't you being a bit harsh? I'm not sure whether your comments are directed towards Reason 10 or the article itself.

I understood the patch sharing argument as "adding RadPi and Synchronous to the default lineup will allow patch makers to use them in their patches", which is pretty much how PH presented their decision (and I may be naive but that's how I saw it as well, even though I already had both devices). You can now include Synchronous/RadPi in a community patch for another device, which wasn't the case up until R10. That's how I read that sentence, anyway.

Your second objection is that it was already possible to make "non-electronic" music with Reason, but the article never says it didn't, it says PH seems to be trying to invest into grabbing that part of the market, which it hadn't previously, or at least not as much...

User avatar
MikeMcKew
Posts: 169
Joined: 16 Aug 2017
Location: Leesburg, VA

Post 31 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
31 Oct 2017
The article lacks any depth, no meat at all.

Statements like "Sharing patches for instruments among the community is fun and collaborative" fall short as we already do that with a community patches, Reason 10 is not bringing that.

"Reason is usually thought of as primarily a DAW to make electronic music, but I can see it moving more towards a general all-purpose DAW with these new organic instruments and Radical Piano. ", the sampler has been there since day one and there are plenty of excellent Refills out there to do that.

I see Reason 10 as nothing more that a bundle in the shop, the only difference is you can't buy the devices separately.

I can understand Reason 10 from a marketing point view, yes it's needed for the new customers.

The only positive thing I can say about the article is, It's well formatted.
Thanks for your feedback! I understand where you're coming from, but maybe I can clarify my point of view.

I agree that sharing patches and collaborating is already something available in Reason, my point was that including Synchronous and Radical Piano in stock Reason opens up those devices to be included in patches and ReFills. Combine that with the organic instruments and the new synths, and I feel that the ReFill and patch sharing community will be revitalized - we're already seeing it to an extent.

Yes, the samplers and ReFills exist - I take your point there. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I'd rather use a concise interface as opposed to one of the samplers. Same goes for ReFills - while I like ReFills and use them, I would prefer the dedicated interface when possible.

What kind of meat would you be looking for in an article like this? It's obvious that our opinions differ, so I'm wondering what you think I could've expanded on to flesh it out more. Reason 10 is not perfect, and I mentioned a gripe I have with it in the article about CV, but to me it is such a minor thing that I didn't feel the need to dwell on it. It has not yet been a limitation for me, a CV expansion is just something I would've liked to see.

I am sincere in the opinion I express in the article: I was skeptical and perhaps even displeased when I first heard the Reason 10 update, but I slowly changed my mind and upgraded on day 1. I am happy with my decision and I think it's well worth the price.

Perhaps it could be seen as a bundle, but in that case it is a damn good one at a great price.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for Reason and other audio production tutorials: YouTube Channel

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2243
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 31 Oct 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
31 Oct 2017
Aren't you being a bit harsh? I'm not sure whether your comments are directed towards Reason 10 or the article itself.

I understood the patch sharing argument as "adding RadPi and Synchronous to the default lineup will allow patch makers to use them in their patches", which is pretty much how PH presented their decision (and I may be naive but that's how I saw it as well, even though I already had both devices). You can now include Synchronous/RadPi in a community patch for another device, which wasn't the case up until R10. That's how I read that sentence, anyway.

It's aimed at the article however I added my thoughts about Reason 10 at the end and I tried to finish on a positive note.


Yes PH did present it that way however that part of the article picked up on the community.

WongoTheSane wrote:
31 Oct 2017
Your second objection is that it was already possible to make "non-electronic" music with Reason, but the article never says it didn't, it says PH seems to be trying to invest into grabbing that part of the market, which it hadn't previously, or at least not as much...
"Reason is usually thought of as primarily a DAW to make electronic music, but I can see it moving more towards a general all-purpose DAW with these new organic instruments and Radical Piano.", as I said you could do this from day one.


The article also stated "Add to this the stability and low DSP-usage demanded by stock instruments in Reason and you have a compelling reason to include these in Reason 10." Europa can be very heavy on DSP but that is understandable with what it can achieve. Expanse can be heavy however it also can be light.

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2243
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 31 Oct 2017

MikeMcKew wrote:
31 Oct 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
31 Oct 2017
The article lacks any depth, no meat at all.

Statements like "Sharing patches for instruments among the community is fun and collaborative" fall short as we already do that with a community patches, Reason 10 is not bringing that.

"Reason is usually thought of as primarily a DAW to make electronic music, but I can see it moving more towards a general all-purpose DAW with these new organic instruments and Radical Piano. ", the sampler has been there since day one and there are plenty of excellent Refills out there to do that.

I see Reason 10 as nothing more that a bundle in the shop, the only difference is you can't buy the devices separately.

I can understand Reason 10 from a marketing point view, yes it's needed for the new customers.

The only positive thing I can say about the article is, It's well formatted.
Thanks for your feedback! I understand where you're coming from, but maybe I can clarify my point of view.

I agree that sharing patches and collaborating is already something available in Reason, my point was that including Synchronous and Radical Piano in stock Reason opens up those devices to be included in patches and ReFills. Combine that with the organic instruments and the new synths, and I feel that the ReFill and patch sharing community will be revitalized - we're already seeing it to an extent.

Yes, the samplers and ReFills exist - I take your point there. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I'd rather use a concise interface as opposed to one of the samplers. Same goes for ReFills - while I like ReFills and use them, I would prefer the dedicated interface when possible.

What kind of meat would you be looking for in an article like this? It's obvious that our opinions differ, so I'm wondering what you think I could've expanded on to flesh it out more. Reason 10 is not perfect, and I mentioned a gripe I have with it in the article about CV, but to me it is such a minor thing that I didn't feel the need to dwell on it. It has not yet been a limitation for me, a CV expansion is just something I would've liked to see.

I am sincere in the opinion I express in the article: I was skeptical and perhaps even displeased when I first heard the Reason 10 update, but I slowly changed my mind and upgraded on day 1. I am happy with my decision and I think it's well worth the price.

Perhaps it could be seen as a bundle, but in that case it is a damn good one at a great price.
Sorry I'm about to walk out the door so here's a short answer.

The article is titled "The case for Reason 10". I said my opinion that Reason 10 is nothing more than a bundle at the is stage, only a good (value) bundle if you don't own certain RE's. the Rigs are great for new people to Reason but not so great (value wise) if you already own several of the items. So to write a meaty article about a bundle IMO you will have to go deeper into the instruments themselves, it's the only way.

This article did not make me stop and think, hmm maybe Reason 10 is for me.

Another thing, we have added xyz as stock instruments, Refill dev's will have to think do I want to exclude the market that is not running R10 now.

There are a lot of existing users who want features and bug fixes (just go and look at the features page).

R10 is great for new users and as I said before I understand why PH added the content.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1555
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 31 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
31 Oct 2017
R10 is great for new users and as I said before I understand why PH added the content.
I've been a Reason user for about 6 years and to me this still looks like a great upgrade. For someone like me who is not particularly interested in going down the VST route these new instruments will be great. Yes I have a bunch of awesome RE synths already but Europa and Grain seem to offer something different anyway and it looks like PH really spent time on the workflow with these devices. Deep yet simple to use.

I view the included synths and effects in Reason to be part of the core of Reason just like Thor and Malström. The core of Reason is not only about the workflow and different functions in Reason. Reason wouldn't be Reason without it's devices. It's just that now Grain and Europa will also be added to the core of Reason. Therefore I don't view it as some random RE bundle. Every Reason user will eventually own these, that's the difference.
I have a hard time understanding the negativity around this update. So some people didn't get the things that were on their personal wish list this time. That's ok, just skip this upgrade.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2013
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 01 Nov 2017

This upgrade was more of a big bundle of built in instruments to mess with.
So I got it :P I like seeing new stuff in reason because I've been on that daw for a whole 7 years already, and it's about time they add more built in modules to play with.

If you don't like it, skip that shit :cool:
Producer/Sound Designer.
Anything works.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests