Propellerhead Releases Free Reason 9.2 Update with New Plug-In SDK!

joeyluck

29 Jan 2017

Galaxy wrote:On the topic of 9.2 and upgrading. V9 was released in June of 2016. V8 Sept of 2014, with roughly a year to year and a half between upgrades dating back to V5 or V6.

Does it make sense to upgrade to 9 now? If past trends continue, V10 will be available between Sept 2017 and March, May latest 2018? With being able to upgrade to V9 once 10 is announced and getting 10 for free within the grace period.

Who else here is thinking about this?
It does make sense to upgrade to Reason 9 now (if it has what you want). People ask this same question with every version of Reason. And each time, it's often a person will ask several times over a period of time...realizing that when they initially inquired, it was much longer ago. The lesson being: upgrade when you can and when Reason has stuff you want.

There's also nothing keeping you from maintaining your own upgrade schedule. If you didn't upgrade to Reason 9 on day one, you don't need to upgrade to Reason 10 on day one either ;)
  • R8 was released in Sep 2014
    I upgraded from R7.2 to R8.3.2 in Jul 2015 (10 months after the initial release)
  • R9 was released in June 2016 (I still had Reason 8 for almost a year at this point)
    I upgraded to R9.1 in Dec 2016 (6 months after the initial release; I had used R8 for 17 months)

Galaxy

29 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Galaxy wrote:On the topic of 9.2 and upgrading. V9 was released in June of 2016. V8 Sept of 2014, with roughly a year to year and a half between upgrades dating back to V5 or V6.

Does it make sense to upgrade to 9 now? If past trends continue, V10 will be available between Sept 2017 and March, May latest 2018? With being able to upgrade to V9 once 10 is announced and getting 10 for free within the grace period.

You make a good point - it's likely version 10 will appear this fall or early next spring. The question is: does 9.2 bring enough features to the table to warrant you upgrading *NOW*? That answer will vary depending on the user...

If you upgrade now for $129 USD, then worst case scenario - you'll be paying the same again in 9 to 18 months from now.

That's like... the cost of 1 top notch RE synth (Expanse, etc). Is it really that much? ;)
You make a good point as well. Guess I gotta ask myself if I want to pay 260 all together. It is a waiting game. Was excited about the players TBH when they were announced, but read a few comments about the theory being a bit messed up and limiting, but those users could have been wrong themselves.

What are your favorite features of R9?

I extend this question to others as well? BIP? Pitch Correction? Audio to midi? Players? Extended FSB? New sample loading? Am I missing anything?

Galaxy

29 Jan 2017

joeyluck wrote:

It does make sense to upgrade to Reason 9 now (if it has what you want). People ask this same question with every version of Reason. And each time, it's often a person will ask several times over a period of time...realizing that when they initially inquired, it was much longer ago. The lesson being: upgrade when you can and when Reason has stuff you want.

There's also nothing keeping you from maintaining your own upgrade schedule. If you didn't upgrade to Reason 9 on day one, you don't need to upgrade to Reason 10 on day one either ;)
  • R8 was released in Sep 2014
    I upgraded from R7.2 to R8.3.2 in Jul 2015 (10 months after the initial release)
  • R9 was released in June 2016 (I still had Reason 8 for almost a year at this point)
    I upgraded to R9.1 in Dec 2016 (6 months after the initial release; I had used R8 for 17 months)
Good points here as well! I would prefer to update right away TBH, I just couldn't this time around. I've put it off for almost 7 months, so just trying to figure out if waiting makes sense. It is a personal question that differs from user to user I guess. 129 is actually a really good upgrade price, just feels like we get less now since rack extensions have been released. Those themselves could be looked at as upgrades too. Hold off from buying a few racks and there's your upgrade fee. Kind of regret buying Sunder now ;)... Joking... well, not really :P

tiker01

29 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:

You make a good point - it's likely version 10 will appear this fall or early next spring. The question is: does 9.2 bring enough features to the table to warrant you upgrading *NOW*? That answer will vary depending on the user...

If you upgrade now for $129 USD, then worst case scenario - you'll be paying the same again in 9 to 18 months from now.

That's like... the cost of 1 top notch RE synth (Expanse, etc). Is it really that much? ;)
gak wrote:they've lost the plot.
*TOTALLY* disagree, but YMMV obviously.. ;)
I would not be surprised if Propellerheds take their time to develop 10. My guess is that it will be released in 2018 autumn, which is quite far away.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 10
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Koshdukai

29 Jan 2017

Personally, R9.0 was a bit underwhelming as a x.0 upgrade from 8.x (though totally worth it for pre-R8 owners, IMHO).

But 9.0+9.1+9.2 and hopefully a few more updates are quickly solving that issue and absolutely diminishing that initial feeling. So, hopefully, by the end of the 9.x cycle, one can look at Reason 9 and say "wow, that was a lot of new features and fixes in one version" ...erm, hopefully :D

Anyway, R9.2 is about opening the doors to a new world of REs. If you're pre-R9, you can always wait until the must-have RE shows up and justifies the upgrade to R9.x

joeyluck

29 Jan 2017

It would be cool to be able to have switchable widgets that also have independent back panels so that you could create an empty Eurorack case with insertable modules via selection of those included with that RE. Possible?

EnochLight

29 Jan 2017

Galaxy wrote: What are your favorite features of R9?

I extend this question to others as well? BIP? Pitch Correction? Audio to midi? Players? Extended FSB? New sample loading? Am I missing anything?
IMHO, the addition of the Audio Pitch Editor in Reason 9 sealed the deal. The magnitude of what Propellerhead accomplished cannot be understated - they delivered a product that easily can hold its own against the industry standard - Melodyne (the Essentials version, not Editor) - as far as quality of algorithm, features, and UX/GUI is concerned. But if you don't work with vocals, then it will have very little to no value to you.

I do all of my recording in Reason, and in the past I had to hop into Studio One or use Melodyne free running to edit my vocals - it's not horrible but it was always "just another step" that took me out of Reason. Now I can do it all in Reason, and that's fabulous.

The Players are incredibly useful, and do allow for building some incredible Combinators that simply weren't possible before. So between the pitch editor, Players, Ableton Link (which allows me to sync apps from my iPhone and iPad with Reason in-time), and expanded factory soundbank (out of 1000 new patches, about 10 percent is useful to me personally), I find Reason 9 worth every penny.

Obviously, YMMV! ;)
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

EdGrip

29 Jan 2017

I nabbed one of those £50 boxed upgrades that turned up on Amazon. Could happen again.

damasio

29 Jan 2017

I wonder if the"import sample" option will be available in one of reasons stock synths (thor, maelstrohm).

One synth that really would benefit from sample loading is Rob Paapens Vecto.

SebAudio

29 Jan 2017

joeyluck wrote:It would be cool to be able to have switchable widgets that also have independent back panels so that you could create an empty Eurorack case with insertable modules via selection of those included with that RE. Possible?
I've had such an idea viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7498198&p=303447#p303447

EnochLight

29 Jan 2017

damasio wrote:I wonder if the"import sample" option will be available in one of reasons stock synths (thor, maelstrohm).

One synth that really would benefit from sample loading is Rob Paapens Vecto.
Neither Thor nor Malström are Rack Extensions. They're core instruments built directly into Reason, so there was nothing stopping this from happening already (see: RV7000 MK2).

Agree about Vecto though - that would be sweet.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

scratchnsnifff

29 Jan 2017

It's fun using vecto to make wavetables for expanse, I really hope there's a sample uploads feature for either vecto or predator, I want to be able to have FM capabilities between the oscillators expanses FM is totally awesome but I can't make it do exactly what I want I hope to see a lot of newer REs taking advantage of the new sdk improvements:)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

miscend

30 Jan 2017

tobypearce wrote:+1 for a Maelstrom update. It's a gem in the Reason toolbox and it would be great to be able to load samples.
The best people to contact for that would be the Sonic Charge guys. Maybe they could make a spiritual successor with far more features.

miscend

30 Jan 2017

I think Reason X would have to be major radical update if it ever comes out.

pjeudy

30 Jan 2017

miscend wrote: I think Reason X would have to be major radical update if it ever comes out.
For me I agree. But it may not be REASON-10.
I'm thinking Maybe R11 or R12. Because most people PROBABLY wont agree with me but I feel that Propellerhead needs to competently rewrite REASON. Now that it's clear they are a full fledged DAW...It's time to code it that way. What I'm thinking is how the left hand of REASON doesn't know what it's right hand is doing.

You can't drag a drum element from any instrument that has a wave ELEMENT into the sequencer like KONG or REDRUM...and you can't simply drag a wave file from the sequencer into a drum pad.
If you drag a Chanel next to another Chanel, the Rack nor the Mixer is aware of the move in real time.
If the mixer is hidden and you double click on an instrument say...on the arrangement window...double clicking doesn't call up the mixer nor the RACK to access that device.
You can't drag a MIDI or wave region in REASON into your browser to save that MIDI clip or wav sound.
Being only able to edit one Midi clip at a time.
Etc..etc.. many more a long those lines.

The different section in REASON are basically patched together and can be mostly accessed by using menus ... Most if not all DAW are more aware of there different section and work fast and easily by simply double clicking elements/devices in them and or dragging those elements to any destination within the DAW.

I'm happy that they finally addressed sample loading ..in there own "Reason way". I'm thinking more how the DAW gels with it's self. That's the thing that was missing in Reason, that's what made me wonder into another product. (Reason offered me an excessive amount of clicking to do the simplest thing)....I'm happy with most of My RE , I welcome sample loading and better flexibility for UIs, But as someone who is now spoiled by being able to do something as simple and quickly as dragging a MIDI note progression into a browser for quick cataloging/saving, in less then 1 second without have to jump thru menus. The REASON version I'm looking for may not come in version X.

But I like watching it progress and I still have my R license ready in case of that $129 update that I'm looking for.
Last edited by pjeudy on 03 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.
EVERYONE please purchase REASON 10 So that you could fund REASON 10.5 and maybe get some workflow/Features improvement for the Mixer,Sequencer,Edit windows,Browser to name a few. Thank you. #PropellerheadsRememberTheDAW

KirkMarkarian

31 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Would be cool to see Parsec updated with the sample loading feature. It must certainly be in the works?
That was my first initial thought Joey.
Ditto. The beautiful things that already can be created with Parsec times infinity. Load my own samples? Heck yeah! Proton is awesome, and combined with Parsec AND Fritz? wowee, man... times 'a changin! These were things that I figured we're going to stick to the land of Max/MSP, and now they're in my one, only, FAVORITE DAW? And I can synthesize my own drum or melodic sounds, and I can record my own sounds into it? And it sounds great? Who could ask for anything more? :D

Aquila

13 Apr 2017

So we're nearly 3 months on from the new SDK and there hasn't been any major REs that take advantage of this sample loading feature. I'd have thought some samplers or loop players would've at least been made by now. Any ideas why things are so slow? Did the SDK fall short of expectations?

WongoTheSane

13 Apr 2017

Aquila wrote:So we're nearly 3 months on from the new SDK and there hasn't been any major REs that take advantage of this sample loading feature. I'd have thought some samplers or loop players would've at least been made by now. Any ideas why things are so slow? Did the SDK fall short of expectations?
Expanse and Proton do (and to great effect in both cases). But as to why there aren't more yet, I think devs face two different cases: either they're updating their existing devices with sample loading, in which case they're preparing a V2 or a V3 but aren't in a hurry because they will generally add other unrelated new stuff as well, either they're working on a whole new device based on sample loading, in which case the development cycle can easily take over a year.

I think it was turn2on who said the other day that their devices would not yet incorporate SDK 2.5 features because they wanted to be able to reach the user base that hasn't upgraded to 9.2 yet. That might account for the delay as well...

joeyluck

13 Apr 2017

Aquila wrote:So we're nearly 3 months on from the new SDK and there hasn't been any major REs that take advantage of this sample loading feature. I'd have thought some samplers or loop players would've at least been made by now. Any ideas why things are so slow? Did the SDK fall short of expectations?
Many developers learned about the new SDK along with the rest of us. Three months is a short time. You have to account for concept, alpha stage, beta stage, current projects as Wongo noted, etc... And very most beta testings I have been a part of take that much time and more. I've heard rumors of some new REs in the works, but haven't been bugging many developers too often because I realize it's still relatively early.

EnochLight

14 Apr 2017

It takes a long time - often literally years - to develop a proper sampler, IMHO. From sampler content to execution, it's just a laborious process. Devs have only had the new SDK for what.. 4-6 months?

joeyluck

14 Apr 2017

EnochLight wrote:It takes a long time - often literally years - to develop a proper sampler, IMHO. From sampler content to execution, it's just a laborious process. Devs have only had the new SDK for what.. 4-6 months?
Not even 3 months yet. Will be 3 months on the 25th of this month. Most didn't have early access.

EnochLight

14 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:
EnochLight wrote:It takes a long time - often literally years - to develop a proper sampler, IMHO. From sampler content to execution, it's just a laborious process. Devs have only had the new SDK for what.. 4-6 months?
Not even 3 months yet. Will be 3 months on the 25th of this month. Most didn't have early access.
Exactly. My point is, I don't expect to see any earth-shattering sampler offerings in Reason by 3rd party devs for at least another year or two. If at all.... ;)

stratatonic

14 Apr 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:I think it was turn2on who said the other day that their devices would not yet incorporate SDK 2.5 features because they wanted to be able to reach the user base that hasn't upgraded to 9.2 yet. That might account for the delay as well...
Is there a reason Propellerhead designed the latest SDK so that users must use the latest Reason 9 version, other than to try to get users of older versions of Reason to upgrade to Reason 9? And if there is a large base of Reason owners still on pre R9 versions, then as a dev, why would you do anything on the latest SDK?
Wasn't sample loading technically possible in Reason 8.3 already with the convolution RV7000?
I think it's essential when purchasing software to understand that you are purchasing a license for the software as it is today, not necessarily some fantasy of what you want it to be, nor the ability to influence its future. J Frankel REAPER dev

esselfortium

14 Apr 2017

stratatonic wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:I think it was turn2on who said the other day that their devices would not yet incorporate SDK 2.5 features because they wanted to be able to reach the user base that hasn't upgraded to 9.2 yet. That might account for the delay as well...
Is there a reason Propellerhead designed the latest SDK so that users must use the latest Reason 9 version, other than to try to get users of older versions of Reason to upgrade to Reason 9? And if there is a large base of Reason owners still on pre R9 versions, then as a dev, why would you do anything on the latest SDK?
Wasn't sample loading technically possible in Reason 8.3 already with the convolution RV7000?
RV7000 isn't a rack extension -- Reason has had sample-loading devices since 1.0, but rack extensions aren't the same as native devices, which just had everything hardcoded in Reason, instead of having the customizable system needed for plugins. The SDK 2.5 requires Reason 9.2 for the same reason that you needed at least Reason 6.5 to use SDK 1.0 extensions -- the code that the SDK depends on didn't exist yet when earlier versions came out.
Sarah Mancuso
New album「Transmission Control: Music from Subserial Network」is out now!

EnochLight

14 Apr 2017

stratatonic wrote:Is there a reason Propellerhead designed the latest SDK so that users must use the latest Reason 9 version, other than to try to get users of older versions of Reason to upgrade to Reason 9? And if there is a large base of Reason owners still on pre R9 versions, then as a dev, why would you do anything on the latest SDK?

There are technical reasons (a new RE SDK that introduces new features that fundamentally affect the core RE architecture must require an update to the core app to work), and there are business reasons (sell new copies of the latest version).

• Information