Propellerhead Releases Free Reason 9.2 Update with New Plug-In SDK!

Zerosity

25 Jan 2017

Does anyone know if disk streaming was added with the sample loading ability in this release?

Koshdukai

25 Jan 2017

Zerosity wrote:Does anyone know if disk streaming was added with the sample loading ability in this release?
Not listed as a feature, so... nope. Still something to wait for in the future :)

miscend

25 Jan 2017

buddard wrote:
miscend wrote:Any word if the SDK now supports player devices?
Nope, it's still not possible to create 3rd party Players.
That's very disappointing. I would have thought they built the player devices with the rack extension SDK in mind.

Do you know if they made any improvements in CPU efficiency? Rack extensions tend to be quite hungry.

Carly(Poohbear)

25 Jan 2017

cjb123 wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote: From the release notes

Reason Patch Collection now includes all patches from Electromechanical and the office favorite patch Bass One'o'One (Reason full version only)
The patch Rheem GlitterTop is now correctly categorized as Electric Piano (Reason full version only)
ravisoni wrote:What exactly is the reason patch collection.rfl?
The Reason Patch Collection is the group of patches you are presented with in Reason 9's browser when you select 'Reason 9 Sounds'. From Prop's site at the time 9 was released: "Reason 9 Sounds contains 1000 completely new patches, categorized together with legacy patches from earlier Reason versions. Reason 9 Sounds is divided into 13 categories – with sub-categories in some cases – to make it easy to find the sounds you are looking for.
https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... -reason-9/

So... based on that statement 'Reason Patch Collection now includes all patches from Electromechanical...') is Electromechanical now redundant for owners of 9.2?
:?:
I just checked out Electromechnalical and the refill is 106MB, but the Reason pack collection refill is only ~85MB so something is a miss !!!!

Just did a very quick search for a couple of the patches and I found them in the Factory Sounds, so maybe ???

EnochLight

25 Jan 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:How about a sampler that actually displays the waveform - there's a start :)
siln wrote:Yes ,a kind of Traktor dj deck , or a kind of ableton loops track , i suppose would be cool ,
good job Ph :puf_bigsmile:
Displaying actual waveforms in the sampler would be pretty bad ass, but - as I understand it (judging from how Expanse and Proton handle it) - the samples must be edited in Reason's sample editor, so it's not like a displayed waveform could be edited in said hypothetical RE sampler's display. Still, it's one step closer to being modern, so that's cool.
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:I've heard that a Kontakt type sampler is in the pipeline !
Heheh, I'll believe it when I see/hear it. :D It'll need to come with a Kontakt-class sound library to blow our socks off.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

Carly(Poohbear)

25 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:How about a sampler that actually displays the waveform - there's a start :)
siln wrote:Yes ,a kind of Traktor dj deck , or a kind of ableton loops track , i suppose would be cool ,
Displaying actual waveforms in the sampler would be pretty bad ass, but - as I understand it (judging from how Expanse and Proton handle it) - the samples must be edited in Reason's sample editor, so it's not like a displayed waveform could be edited in said hypothetical RE sampler's display. Still, it's one step closer to being modern, so that's cool.
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:I've heard that a Kontakt type sampler is in the pipeline !
Heheh, I'll believe it when I see/hear it. :D It'll need to come with a Kontakt-class sound library to blow our socks off.
Yeah I know LOL.

I thought the point you made earlier was bang on.. "A sampler is only as good as its accompanying sample library + features IMHO"

Jmax

25 Jan 2017

Little confused.. Can I load samples into Zero now? I updated everything and tried to load some WAV's drag and drop into Zero but nothing.

joeyluck

25 Jan 2017

Would be cool to see Parsec updated with the sample loading feature. It must certainly be in the works?

EnochLight

25 Jan 2017

Jmax wrote:Little confused.. Can I load samples into Zero now? I updated everything and tried to load some WAV's drag and drop into Zero but nothing.
No. Expanse is the one that got sampling/sample import. Zero just got drag-drop mod matrix, key modifiers in the displays, and sub-menus for the mod matrix.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

fieldframe

25 Jan 2017

I made a song entirely with Expanse custom wavetables... but I only used Redrum factory snare samples to create them. :lol:

https://allihoopa.com/s/NOQDp115
Professional Rack Extension user interface design
Pongasoft CVA-7 | ReSpire layout concept

New album Built Environments out now!

joeyluck

25 Jan 2017

fieldframe wrote:I made a song entirely with Expanse custom wavetables... but I only used Redrum factory snare samples to create them. :lol:

Awesome! :D

househoppin09

26 Jan 2017

fieldframe wrote:
mattworldpeace wrote:The Expanse page in the shop states "Please note that this product requires Reason 9.2". Does this mean I won't be able to use it if I'm on Reason 8.3? I was hoping to buy it now that it's on sale however I don't want to upgrade to 9.2 just yet. Anyone know?
This is an interesting question: Does Propellerhead keep the last compatible version available for download like how Apple keeps the last compatible version of apps for old versions of iOS? If you have Reason 8.3, can you still buy Expanse and it will automatically download Expanse 1.1 instead of 2.0?

I'd really like to hear something about this from Props or anyone else who might know. I had a pretty long list of REs I planned on buying, including both Expanse and Zero. I'm very worried that I'll no longer be able to get many of the REs I want as developers steadily update their REs to versions that require the new SDK. I know I should just upgrade, but for various reasons that won't be in the cards for me for a while. Am I just stuck? Is there now no way I can get Expanse or Zero?

OverneathTheSkyBridg

26 Jan 2017

Now that there's sampling for devs I'd love to see someone put together a basic 90s style tracker like Scream or Impulse Tracker device.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Bumbum

26 Jan 2017

househoppin09 wrote:
fieldframe wrote:
mattworldpeace wrote:The Expanse page in the shop states "Please note that this product requires Reason 9.2". Does this mean I won't be able to use it if I'm on Reason 8.3? I was hoping to buy it now that it's on sale however I don't want to upgrade to 9.2 just yet. Anyone know?
This is an interesting question: Does Propellerhead keep the last compatible version available for download like how Apple keeps the last compatible version of apps for old versions of iOS? If you have Reason 8.3, can you still buy Expanse and it will automatically download Expanse 1.1 instead of 2.0?

I'd really like to hear something about this from Props or anyone else who might know. I had a pretty long list of REs I planned on buying, including both Expanse and Zero. I'm very worried that I'll no longer be able to get many of the REs I want as developers steadily update their REs to versions that require the new SDK. I know I should just upgrade, but for various reasons that won't be in the cards for me for a while. Am I just stuck? Is there now no way I can get Expanse or Zero?
Did anyone already contact PH about this? i am also worried :?

esselfortium

26 Jan 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I'm pretty happy this finally dropped - these features have been sorely missing from the RE SDK for years. Really looking forward to see what more devs come up with! That said... for everyone chomping at the bit for a new full featured sampler, it makes me ask: what do you want in a new sampler for Reason, that the new features will bring?

A sampler is only as good as its accompanying sample library + features IMHO, so I suspect that we won't see any new decent samplers appear without someone investing a good amount of time and money into making an impressive library (see Kontakt, a decade+ of NNXT libraries, etc). Thoughts?
How about a sampler that actually displays the waveform - there's a start :)
I've heard that a Kontakt type sampler is in the pipeline !
You have my attention! :shock:
Sarah Mancuso
New album「Transmission Control: Music from Subserial Network」is out now!

MattiasHG

26 Jan 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote: I just checked out Electromechnalical and the refill is 106MB, but the Reason pack collection refill is only ~85MB so something is a miss !!!!

Just did a very quick search for a couple of the patches and I found them in the Factory Sounds, so maybe ???
The samples are not stored in the Reason Sounds ReFill, they're in the Factory Sound Bank. The samples were already in the FSB but the patches were not added to Reason Sounds. :)

Creativemind

26 Jan 2017

Yes it's exciting to think what Re's may arrive in the shop in the next 12 months.

Has Expanse been updated with new features then?
:reason:

Reason 8.3

WongoTheSane

26 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:Yes it's exciting to think what Re's may arrive in the shop in the next 12 months.

Has Expanse been updated with new features then?
It has: sample/wavetable loading + submenus grouping. Free update.

Exowildebeest

26 Jan 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
I thought the point you made earlier was bang on.. "A sampler is only as good as its accompanying sample library + features IMHO"
I firmly disagree with that. To illustrate, quote Platangst from another thread:
platzangst wrote:
dioxide wrote: Agreed that would be great, but he did use the word "effect":
that I’ll try to put into an effect
I'd rather see a full sampler instrument device also.
And how nice that sample loading is now possible! So if they have plans for an effect, perhaps they can spin that into an instrument.

Still, I used a Mirage for many years, and though you could do some interesting things if you had the Advanced Sampling OS floppies, I don't recall there being anything so unusual just in sampling-based features that couldn't be covered with a Reason stock device and editors. After that, there's the issue of the Mirage's memory, longer sample times resulting in aliasing, and then the analog filters, both of which could be replicated as an effect. If the goal is just to make a bit of audio sound like it came out of a Mirage, then effects would be sufficient.

Of course, it might be some other legendary sampler, too, so...
Kontakt isn't what I have in mind - I don't really regard Kontakt as a sampler anyway, more as ROMpler.

What I have in mind is a modern, easy to use sampler to use for one's own samples.

As for editing, I understand that would still be bound to Reason's awkward limited utility, but drawing evelopes on the waveform and such would still be possible. As would some form of slicing. Proton already makes the waveform part of the interaction.

Creativemind

26 Jan 2017

Rook wrote:I knew this had to come along eventually. But I'm really glad it's finally here! :puf_bigsmile:

Imagining the possibilities for all the new samplers that can be made... I'd really enjoy a cool, new drum sampler especially. Also maybe something like the TAL-Sampler.
An NN-XT update / overhaul imo. We need audiowarp in Reason, tempo detect of audio and fit to tempo and then the NN-XT could use all three to time stretch and sync in time the audio as well as not being speeded up or slowed down on each key. Then make all knobs automatable, markers on the audio to be triggered at different points, some FX:- Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flanging, Phasing and Distortion and give it some really nice graphics (new GUI).

Reason 8.3

Creativemind

26 Jan 2017

buddard wrote:
miscend wrote:Any word if the SDK now supports player devices?
Nope, it's still not possible to create 3rd party Players.
Now that would be the future haha!

Reason 8.3

Creativemind

26 Jan 2017

joeyluck wrote:Would be cool to see Parsec updated with the sample loading feature. It must certainly be in the works?
That was my first initial thought Joey.

Reason 8.3

EnochLight

26 Jan 2017

Exowildebeest wrote: I firmly disagree with that. To illustrate, quote Platangst from another thread:

Kontakt isn't what I have in mind - I don't really regard Kontakt as a sampler anyway, more as ROMpler.

What I have in mind is a modern, easy to use sampler to use for one's own samples.

As for editing, I understand that would still be bound to Reason's awkward limited utility, but drawing evelopes on the waveform and such would still be possible. As would some form of slicing. Proton already makes the waveform part of the interaction.
I agree, Kontakt is more an actual ROMpler as opposed to sampler. That said, it's library is what makes it. Without that (and assuming it did "sample" in the traditional sense), it's just a fancy sampler with no useful content. For those who want to build their own sample library, I can see how useful that might be though.

About the waveform display - I just realized - despite the fact that both Proton and Expanse appear to have to use Reason's built in sample editor to edit waveforms, any changes you make in Reason's editor are reflected in the waveform display of the RE, and if you save the edit, the edited waveform displays as well, so I can totally see utility in a nice fat/big waveform display in a new sampler.

For the record, I was quite vocal in advocating for a larger waveform display during beta testing. Some agreed it would be awesome, some didn't see the utility. I suppose YMMV!

Fraxis

26 Jan 2017

Can I suggest that now modifier keys are supported that all the drum sequencers add soft, medium and hard velocity for each step in the same way ReDrum already does please? And might any of the developers consider building samples into their drum sequencers so that they become all-in-one drum machines perhaps?

miscend

26 Jan 2017

fieldframe wrote:I made a song entirely with Expanse custom wavetables... but I only used Redrum factory snare samples to create them. :lol:

https://allihoopa.com/s/NOQDp115
Nice!

• Information