Propellerhead Releases Free Reason 9.2 Update with New Plug-In SDK!

lowtense

28 Jan 2017

So...okay. Installed 9.2 earlier this morning. Besides the plug-in sdk development stuff... What are the improvements/added features for a bog-standard Reason user? Is there a extensive list with all the improvements made under the hood?

CR68

28 Jan 2017

I belive there will bei a malström and a Sampler update. On instagram i sag a picture where the phs take a Lunch with other people like magnus lidström and Mr. Wallander..... So lets see

EnochLight

28 Jan 2017

lowtense wrote:So...okay. Installed 9.2 earlier this morning. Besides the plug-in sdk development stuff... What are the improvements/added features for a bog-standard Reason user? Is there a extensive list with all the improvements made under the hood?
There are very little changes from 9.1 to 9.2 for the bog-standard user who doesn't use RE's. 9.2 was specifically a free update to support the new RE SDK 2.5 features, which introduce:
  • Sampling/sample import for RE's, including access to Reason's sample editor
  • Hideable widgets and panels (see: Thor, Kong, etc)
  • Improved displays and more
  • Key modifyers for displays
You can see many of these improvement - except for the widgets/panels - in Expanse (if you don't own it, just watch the 2.0 video).

That said, here's the items not mentioned from the 9.2 changelog:
  • Reason Patch Collection now includes all patches from Electromechanical and the office favorite patch Bass One'o'One (Reason full version only)
  • The patch Rheem GlitterTop is now correctly categorized as Electric Piano (Reason full version only)
  • Fixed a bug where a sample from the Factory Sound Bank could be self-contained which would lead to issues
  • Fixed an issue where notes could hang when using Players with the External MIDI Instrument
https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason ... ease-notes
CR68 wrote:I belive there will bei a malström and a Sampler update. On instagram i sag a picture where the phs take a Lunch with other people like magnus lidström and Mr. Wallander..... So lets see
Well, Magnus and the Props are friends - and they don't live/work far from each other. I have no reason to believe that Magnus is working on a Malstrom update - he and Fredrik have been very publicly busy with Teenage Engineering working on the Microtonic hardware (PO-32). They haven't even released the update to Microtonic to support it, yet the hardware is shipping soon - so I'm betting they're pretty busy right now.

We can dream, though! ;)
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

Vince-Noir-99

28 Jan 2017

tobypearce wrote:+1 for a Maelstrom update. It's a gem in the Reason toolbox and it would be great to be able to load samples.
It's been discussed in the past that the wavetables in Malström had to be meticulously 'grain-mapped' to achieve what it does, and loading custom wav. samples wouldn't work automatically. On the other hand, there may be more modern and efficient ways to compromise with this popular request.

Anyway, I would definitely welcome a 'proper' Reason update, as I'm one of many who didn't really get much advantage from this one... Shouldn't native devices get priority? When will we get waveform view on NN19 and NN-XT, folder tracks etc etc...?
Last edited by Vince-Noir-99 on 28 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

CR68

28 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:
CR68 wrote:I belive there will bei a malström and a Sampler update. On instagram i sag a picture where the phs take a Lunch with other people like magnus lidström and Mr. Wallander..... So lets see
Well, Magnus and the Props are friends - and they don't live/work far from each other. I have no reason to believe that Magnus is working on a Malstrom update - he and Fredrik have been very publicly busy with Teenage Engineering working on the Microtonic hardware (PO-32). They haven't even released the update to Microtonic to support it, yet the hardware is shipping soon - so I'm betting they're pretty busy right now.

We can dream, though! ;)

but then you asked in the sonic charge forum about future products and magnus answered :

Magnus Lidström
yesterday17:17

Sorry but I can't comment on this as it involves details that are still under NDA.

so to mee it seems there is something planned or in work..... ;-) if not he can say : no there is nothing, like he did the other times anyone asked him ;) :thumbs_up:

madmacman

28 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:
lowtense wrote:So...okay. Installed 9.2 earlier this morning. Besides the plug-in sdk development stuff... What are the improvements/added features for a bog-standard Reason user? Is there a extensive list with all the improvements made under the hood?
There are very little changes from 9.1 to 9.2 for the bog-standard user who doesn't use RE's. 9.2 was specifically a free update to support the new RE SDK 2.5 features, which introduce:
Pity. Ok - it's a free update after all. But I'm no longer willing to invest in RE's.

zeebot

28 Jan 2017

Abolutely brilliant Props!!
Loadable wavetables and convolution reverb were the two things I've wanted to see in reason for so so long!
I take back everything I said when we had that little fallout around the R8 time.
I'm really sorry, forgive me and let's have a cuddle :D

I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

EnochLight

28 Jan 2017

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:It's been discussed in the past that the wavetables in Malström had to be meticulously 'grain-mapped' to achieve what it does, and loading custom wav. samples wouldn't work automatically. On the other hand, there may be more modern and efficient ways to compromise with this popular request.
True, but that was almost 15 years ago (Malström appeared in Reason 2.0 back in mid-2002). We've seen from synths such as Live's Granulator II and now Love One Consulting's Proton for Reason that graintable synthesis can be accomplished "on-the-fly" with fantastic results. Saying the graintables (imported samples) need to be meticulously mapped these days is almost a cop out, IMHO.

A theoretical Malström 2.0 could just include the option of importing and mapping your own via a brand new synthesis engine - on top of the 1.0 stuff. Everybody is happy! :D :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
CR68 wrote:but then you asked in the sonic charge forum about future products and magnus answered :

Magnus Lidström

Sorry but I can't comment on this as it involves details that are still under NDA.

so to mee it seems there is something planned or in work..... ;-) if not he can say : no there is nothing, like he did the other times anyone asked him ;) :thumbs_up:
Anything is possible at this point, I suppose! ;) Either he's really got something planned for 2017 or he's just giving the canned response "can't talk NDA blah blah blah" to keep people from harassing him. After all, it's been almost 5 years since we've started asking.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10 |  Studio One 3.5| Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

selig

28 Jan 2017

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
tobypearce wrote:+1 for a Maelstrom update. It's a gem in the Reason toolbox and it would be great to be able to load samples.
It's been discussed in the past that the wavetables in Malström had to be meticulously 'grain-mapped' to achieve what it does, and loading custom wav. samples wouldn't work automatically. On the other hand, there may be more modern and efficient ways to compromise with this popular request.

Anyway, I would definitely welcome a 'proper' Reason update, as I'm one of many who didn't really get much advantage from this one... Shouldn't native devices get priority? When will we get waveform view on NN19 and NN-XT, folder tracks etc etc...?
Ahhh, the age old question. If we got an update that only gave waveform displays on the old samplers and folder tracks, folks would ask "how long do we have to wait for simple things like sample loading in REs, or modifier keys/pop up menus in custom displays", and on and on.

All one can do is make their voice heard, and hope the Props add "their" chosen features sooner than the ones other folks want. To sum up, someone will always feel left out with each and every update… ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

28 Jan 2017

Will this new SDK allow for waveshaping (by drawing in the waveforms) in Re's now?
:reason:

Reason 10.2

eXode

28 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:Will this new SDK allow for waveshaping (by drawing in the waveforms) in Re's now?
Technically it has been possible since Reason 7.1.

Vince-Noir-99

28 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote:It's been discussed in the past that the wavetables in Malström had to be meticulously 'grain-mapped' to achieve what it does, and loading custom wav. samples wouldn't work automatically. On the other hand, there may be more modern and efficient ways to compromise with this popular request.
True, but that was almost 15 years ago (Malström appeared in Reason 2.0 back in mid-2002). We've seen from synths such as Live's Granulator II and now Love One Consulting's Proton for Reason that graintable synthesis can be accomplished "on-the-fly" with fantastic results. Saying the graintables (imported samples) need to be meticulously mapped these days is almost a cop out, IMHO.

A theoretical Malström 2.0 could just include the option of importing and mapping your own via a brand new synthesis engine - on top of the 1.0 stuff. Everybody is happy! :D :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
Agreed. That's why I said there must be some way to meet this request. Though I'm not sure it'd be exactly the same technology as it is now implemented in Malström (?). Or maybe the term 'graintable' was coined at a time when freezing on a one-cycle within the wavetable and play it chromatically without much glitch was a big deal, whether now, as far as I understand, any (or most) granular synth/samplers can perform that way.

Creativemind

28 Jan 2017

eXode wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Will this new SDK allow for waveshaping (by drawing in the waveforms) in Re's now?
How so eXode?
:reason:

Reason 10.2

EnochLight

28 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:
eXode wrote:
How so eXode?
You've been able to draw in both Zero and Expanse (wave harmonics), even before the update. Not sure if that's what he means, though.

eXode

28 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
eXode wrote:
How so eXode?
You've been able to draw in both Zero and Expanse (wave harmonics), even before the update. Not sure if that's what he means, though.
I was thinking more in line with Synchronous or Lectric Panda Shape. My point is that the technical possibility has been there since 7.1 just that no one has developed such a RE yet.

Exowildebeest

28 Jan 2017

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... scillator/

This comes close as well, but still not literally drawing the waveform.

CR68

28 Jan 2017

eXode wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
eXode wrote:
How so eXode?
I was thinking more in line with Synchronous or Lectric Panda Shape. My point is that the technical possibility has been there since 7.1 just that no one has developed such a RE yet.

here is a oscillator where you can draw in the waveform. its out really long now... dont know whats up with wizaudio? :/ he said a he will update his products?

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... scillator/

selig

28 Jan 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... scillator/

This comes close as well, but still not literally drawing the waveform.
I beg to differ, it IS literally drawing the waveform. The fact it represents the wave as a series of lines is irrelevant, could have used dots or whatever. Though it's limited to 32 points it's still literally drawing the waveform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

theshoemaker

28 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:
eXode wrote:
How so eXode?
Oberon

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V10 on MacOS Sierra

scratchnsnifff

28 Jan 2017

CR68 wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

We can dream, though! ;)

but then you asked in the sonic charge forum about future products and magnus answered :

Magnus Lidström

What does nda stand for?? I just want to say that I am 1000000million% on board and even willing to pay for a modernized malstrom ik we just got the new expanse and proton update but malstrom is my go to for stock bass sounds it's been such a helpful green guy
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Koshdukai

28 Jan 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:What does nda stand for?
Stands for Non-Disclosure Agreement

EnochLight

28 Jan 2017

Koshdukai wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:What does nda stand for?
Stands for Non-Disclosure Agreement
And all this time I thought it stood for Nuclear Diarrhea Asphyxiation! :lol:

Galaxy

29 Jan 2017

On the topic of 9.2 and upgrading. V9 was released in June of 2016. V8 Sept of 2014, with roughly a year to year and a half between upgrades dating back to V5 or V6.

Does it make sense to upgrade to 9 now? If past trends continue, V10 will be available between Sept 2017 and March, May latest 2018? With being able to upgrade to V9 once 10 is announced and getting 10 for free within the grace period.

Who else here is thinking about this?

gak

29 Jan 2017

Nothing. Which is why I'm bitter. Since the mentioned "8.4" that never happened, they've lost the plot. I mean, the revised "rv7000" was a .x update. Adding players isn't a x.0 release. "Bounce in place" is way more of .x release. :roll:

But the more I/others complain, the more we become "twitter trolls" which I don't even have a twitter account :?

EnochLight

29 Jan 2017

Galaxy wrote:On the topic of 9.2 and upgrading. V9 was released in June of 2016. V8 Sept of 2014, with roughly a year to year and a half between upgrades dating back to V5 or V6.

Does it make sense to upgrade to 9 now? If past trends continue, V10 will be available between Sept 2017 and March, May latest 2018? With being able to upgrade to V9 once 10 is announced and getting 10 for free within the grace period.

Who else here is thinking about this?
You make a good point - it's likely version 10 will appear this fall or early next spring. The question is: does 9.2 bring enough features to the table to warrant you upgrading *NOW*? That answer will vary depending on the user...

If you upgrade now for $129 USD, then worst case scenario - you'll be paying the same again in 9 to 18 months from now.

That's like... the cost of 1 top notch RE synth (Expanse, etc). Is it really that much? ;)
gak wrote:they've lost the plot.
*TOTALLY* disagree, but YMMV obviously.. ;)

• Information