PH makes subscriptions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
olive6741
Posts: 76
Joined: 11 May 2016

09 Oct 2017

Good to know. Thank you !

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1024
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

09 Oct 2017

Seems like you can't pick Softubes or Izotopes stuff. Do they have a special deal with PH or something? I can understand the Tubetech RE but most of their stuff isn't that expansive. Are there other REs you can't pick?
Can developers choose to not be a part of this subscription thing?

nbot
Posts: 14
Joined: 27 Sep 2017

09 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017
nbot wrote:
09 Oct 2017


Agreed
As much as anyone can own anything, I guess! I've bought a bunch of games digitally and if for whatever reason the platform ceases to exist I'll have no rights to the software. Sucks but it's kind of the nature of the beast. But yeah I mean in general I will pay full price up front if it means owning it, whatever that means in the context of non-tangible goods.
I think it's actually really simple - either you own it or you don't (in this case you just rent it).

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 638
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

09 Oct 2017

They should have added a hire purchase option as well.

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1033
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

Supposedly, all RE's will be available for subscription in a few weeks. :)
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Seems like you can't pick Softubes or Izotopes stuff. Do they have a special deal with PH or something? I can understand the Tubetech RE but most of their stuff isn't that expansive. Are there other REs you can't pick?
Can developers choose to not be a part of this subscription thing?
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
Kalm
Posts: 97
Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

It makes sense for rack extensions. I mean when you consider rent-to-own serum which only is $10/ month for that alone, I do believe propellerhead makes a good offer. You can mix and match RE since the platform is based on devices working together. For some who can't purchase everything IMMEDIATELY this is a good deal. For example, I can use 4DYNE now plus add on to whatever value without feeling terrible after I paid for the full Softube TSAR-1 reverb. I can stall either my Tidal or Pandora subscription for a month and thats paid for. Personally, many of us already own most of the products we want but for some new customers this is their ticket to higher ranked synths/effects at a fraction of a cost.

It also doesn't break their wallet for ones they want to buy and permanently keep. For customers this is sweet. If you have everything you want it's going to feel lackluster. For devs, it could be interesting.
Courtesy of The Brew | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 8 GB RAM | Apple 1 TB & Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 9.5 | Studio One 3 Professional | Ozone 7 | Pro Tools 12 | Adobe CC | Presonus FireStudio Project | M-Audio Axiom | And many plugs

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 1444
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

09 Oct 2017

nbot wrote:
09 Oct 2017
chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017


As much as anyone can own anything, I guess! I've bought a bunch of games digitally and if for whatever reason the platform ceases to exist I'll have no rights to the software. Sucks but it's kind of the nature of the beast. But yeah I mean in general I will pay full price up front if it means owning it, whatever that means in the context of non-tangible goods.
I think it's actually really simple - either you own it or you don't (in this case you just rent it).
Weeell...it is and it isn't! I mean it's no great secret that none of us owns our software. We're granted licenses to use it, and those licenses are valid only so long as we adhere to them, or the developer agrees to honour them. They can change the terms of the agreement. They can sell their software. They can go out of business. Not being pedantic or splitting hairs! Just saying, ownership as we understand it in the real/physical world doesn't apply to software. I can think of at least a couple of instances where I've gone to use a piece of software and am unable to activate/authorise because the servers no longer exist, or I'm unable to use an online component of it for the same reason. *shrugs* Just the way it goes sometimes!

Either way I mean, I'm not arguing or anything. As long as there's the option for people to rent or purchase, then everything should be okay.
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12 GB DDR | 2GB GeForce 740m | Komplete Audio 6

User avatar
Sorped
Posts: 136
Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

I think it's a good way to get people going with Reason, for a small fee you can have access to all REs off the bat. Obviously, the smarter person will stop to think at some point that buying the REs outright is cheaper in the long run, so they'll maybe start saving up and buy what they have along the way.
Last edited by Sorped on 09 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud YouTube
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.

nbot
Posts: 14
Joined: 27 Sep 2017

09 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017
nbot wrote:
09 Oct 2017


I think it's actually really simple - either you own it or you don't (in this case you just rent it).
Weeell...it is and it isn't! I mean it's no great secret that none of us owns our software. We're granted licenses to use it, and those licenses are valid only so long as we adhere to them, or the developer agrees to honour them. They can change the terms of the agreement. They can sell their software. They can go out of business. Not being pedantic or splitting hairs! Just saying, ownership as we understand it in the real/physical world doesn't apply to software. I can think of at least a couple of instances where I've gone to use a piece of software and am unable to activate/authorise because the servers no longer exist, or I'm unable to use an online component of it for the same reason. *shrugs* Just the way it goes sometimes!

Either way I mean, I'm not arguing or anything. As long as there's the option for people to rent or purchase, then everything should be okay.
I see your point now, but that's a bit of different discussion - is software reliable enough :-)
For me subscription model for a DAW is definitely no-no, but it's just my opinion.
Having that said I think it's a good idea for RE, you could use more as long as you can still buy them the "old" way.

User avatar
ReasonTalk
Posts: 35
Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

Propellerhead Software is about to offer an additional way to add Rack Extensions to your rack: RE Subscriptions. Some of you have been asking for this since the introduction of Rack Extensions. Well, finally your dream comes true!

However, others might get worried when "subscription" is mentioned. To settle all doubt and worries we talked to Filip Carvell from Propellerhead about how the new subscription model will work. Hopefully, you all will be a bit wiser after reading the interview, no matter if you are anxious because you want to rent REs or you prefer to buy them one by one.

Read the interview and gets answers to many of your questions here:
https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/10/prop ... on-option/

User avatar
MirEko
Posts: 247
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

09 Oct 2017

Ugh no more RE buys for me. I've spent over 1K on REs and if I have to pay a monthly Reason subscription in future to access my REs I will be beyond pissed.
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
pongasoft
Posts: 105
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

As a reminder, you also do not really own any RE you buy... Because of DRM, if Propellerhead closes their doors (or more specifically shutdowns their servers) tomorrow you won't be able to use the software that you purchased anymore...

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 1444
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

09 Oct 2017

nbot wrote:
09 Oct 2017
chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017


Weeell...it is and it isn't! I mean it's no great secret that none of us owns our software. We're granted licenses to use it, and those licenses are valid only so long as we adhere to them, or the developer agrees to honour them. They can change the terms of the agreement. They can sell their software. They can go out of business. Not being pedantic or splitting hairs! Just saying, ownership as we understand it in the real/physical world doesn't apply to software. I can think of at least a couple of instances where I've gone to use a piece of software and am unable to activate/authorise because the servers no longer exist, or I'm unable to use an online component of it for the same reason. *shrugs* Just the way it goes sometimes!

Either way I mean, I'm not arguing or anything. As long as there's the option for people to rent or purchase, then everything should be okay.
I see your point now, but that's a bit of different discussion - is software reliable enough :-)
For me subscription model for a DAW is definitely no-no, but it's just my opinion.
Having that said I think it's a good idea for RE, you could use more as long as you can still buy them the "old" way.
100% man, it has to be optional, whether it's just for REs or the whole thing. Personally I will always purchase just so I can run things offline and not have to manage what I'm subscribed to. Basically laziness haha.
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12 GB DDR | 2GB GeForce 740m | Komplete Audio 6

User avatar
Sorped
Posts: 136
Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Ugh no more RE buys for me. I've spent over 1K on REs and if I have to pay a monthly Reason subscription in future to access my REs I will be beyond pissed.
Don't fret, it's all good :puf_smile:
Alio Modo: SoundCloud YouTube
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 273
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

09 Oct 2017

My post Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm
viewtopic.php?p=354471#p354471

I was right. It's a logical move. Choices.

User avatar
Sorped
Posts: 136
Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017
nbot wrote:
09 Oct 2017


I see your point now, but that's a bit of different discussion - is software reliable enough :-)
For me subscription model for a DAW is definitely no-no, but it's just my opinion.
Having that said I think it's a good idea for RE, you could use more as long as you can still buy them the "old" way.
100% man, it has to be optional, whether it's just for REs or the whole thing. Personally I will always purchase just so I can run things offline and not have to manage what I'm subscribed to. Basically laziness haha.
Plus, you're don't run into trouble with missing REs down the line.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud YouTube
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.

User avatar
MirEko
Posts: 247
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

09 Oct 2017

pongasoft wrote:
09 Oct 2017
As a reminder, you also do not really own any RE you buy... Because of DRM, if Propellerhead closes their doors (or more specifically shutdowns their servers) tomorrow you won't be able to use the software that you purchased anymore...
Yeeeeeesss I get it. Should of said I have paid over 1K to access their collection. Knew someone was going to explain this again.

Regardless, while they are still open for business I don't want to pay a subscription to Reason to access the REs that I "bought" a lifetime lease on (lifetime = propellerheads business life)
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
MirEko
Posts: 247
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

09 Oct 2017

Sorped wrote:
09 Oct 2017
MirEko wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Ugh no more RE buys for me. I've spent over 1K on REs and if I have to pay a monthly Reason subscription in future to access my REs I will be beyond pissed.
Don't fret, it's all good :puf_smile:
Yeah it's all good now, but if props go subscription on Reason I will be a sad panda.

Hence why no more REs for me, I will put my money into VST from now on which sucks because I love the RE delivery system.

But I don't want to put in more money into a walled garden with no resell, and then Reason goes subscription only.. locking me into paying a access fee to my virtual studio.. f*** that

I actually don't know if I'm going to get Reason 10 now.. I don't like this at all, bad vibes
Last edited by MirEko on 09 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

User avatar
jfrichards
Posts: 1123
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: New York

09 Oct 2017

This option is good for me. I have wanted The Legend, Expanse, PX7, and Kuassa Chorus, but didn't want to spend that much. This is even more true now with excellent synths coming in Reason 10. But if I get the $9/month subscription, I can use them for a while, buy the device I really use a lot, and add long term trials with new stuff that appeals to me.

User avatar
ReasonTalk
Posts: 35
Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

Propellerhead Software is about to offer an additional way to add Rack Extensions to your rack: RE Subscriptions. Some of you have been asking for this since the introduction of Rack Extensions. Well, finally your dream comes true!

However, others might get worried when "subscription" is mentioned. To settle all doubt and worries we talked to Filip Carvell from Propellerhead about how the new subscription model will work. Hopefully, you all will be a bit wiser after reading the interview, no matter if you are anxious because you want to rent REs or you prefer to buy them one by one.

Read the article here!

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 1186
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Sorped wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Don't fret, it's all good :puf_smile:
Yeah it's all good now, but if props go subscription on Reason I will be a sad panda.

Hence why no more REs for me, I will put my money into VST from now on which sucks because I love the RE delivery system.

But I don't want to put in more money into a walled garden with no resell, and then Reason goes subscription only.. locking me into paying a access fee to my virtual studio.. f*** that

I actually don't know if I'm going to get Reason 10 now.. I don't like this at all, bad vibes
What would Reason go subscription only? This current subscription model is optional. Even if they added it to Reason it would still be optional. Only Adobe can afford to be subscription only. Propellerhead doesn't have nearly enough of a market to pull that off. Even Pro Tools' subscription is optional.

User avatar
Sorped
Posts: 136
Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

MirEko wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Sorped wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Don't fret, it's all good :puf_smile:
Yeah it's all good now, but if props go subscription on Reason I will be a sad panda.
I don't think they'll ever go subscription only for Reason. They'd likely lose half their customer base instantly at such an event. Not many people are willing to buy a car cash and then 5 years later getting the message that if you still want to use your car you have to pay installments on top of the full price when you paid cash. (Reason is a vehicle for music making so the comparison holds water! :D )
Alio Modo: SoundCloud YouTube
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.

User avatar
normen
Posts: 2391
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

09 Oct 2017

Great for people who mix other peoples songs (like me). Nothing for me privately, I know what I want and I want to "own" it ;)
Professional Audio Engineer, Germany / Part Time Programmer

User avatar
Alkua
Posts: 250
Joined: 30 Apr 2015

09 Oct 2017

I think this subscription model is good. I have so many RE that I don't use and I can't Re-sale them. But the users have to be aware of projects with Rent RE, because if you stop rent them and you have a project with them, the RE won't be available.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 4825
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

09 Oct 2017

There's so many more benefits to this optional service.

Now I can give those REs a spin I haven't used in FOREVER. I can work on projects with friends using REs I don't own. It's a really great value. And the standard $9 package is hard to beat.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: geronimo and 10 guests