Oeksound Soothe

Discuss VST stuff here!
ReasonTalk

01 Aug 2017

"There’s a new breed of ‘smart’ plugin on the scene, devices that can do some of the intelligent heavy-lifting for you, and this ultra cool offering from Oeksound is a prime example."

Read the new review by ReasonTalk member, slightlyprog:

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/08/oeksound-soothe/

slightlyprog

01 Aug 2017

joeyluck

01 Aug 2017

Great review! Excellent job! :puf_smile:

slightlyprog

02 Aug 2017

Thanks! It's one of those devices that not everyone will see an immediate need for but for those that do it is amazingly helpful. I probably should have mentioned that they have a fully functional demo version. (also, I am not affiliated with the company at all, just a fan :puf_bigsmile: )

joeyluck wrote:
01 Aug 2017

Great review! Excellent job! :puf_smile:

Kalm

03 Aug 2017

Difference between this and Surfer EQ might I ask?? Just curious.
Courtesy of The Brew | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 8 GB RAM | Apple 1 TB & Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 9.5 | Studio One 3 Professional | Ozone 7 | Pro Tools 12 | Adobe CC | Presonus FireStudio Project | M-Audio Axiom | And many plugs

slightlyprog

03 Aug 2017

Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Surfer EQ is a very different device, it is first and foremost an EQ with the unique feature that it can detect the pitch of a sound and follow the pitch with the EQ curve.

Soothe is not an EQ it is designed to automatically remove potential problem resonances while leaving the main sonic content of the sound alone.

Kalm

03 Aug 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Surfer EQ is a very different device, it is first and foremost an EQ with the unique feature that it can detect the pitch of a sound and follow the pitch with the EQ curve.

Soothe is not an EQ it is designed to automatically remove potential problem resonances while leaving the main sonic content of the sound alone.
So it's only working on resonances. What about harmonics? usually if you have a resonance, you'll at least have a strong second harmonic somewhere (if its a natural one). Sounds interesting if it's good for taking out closet tones :idea:
Courtesy of The Brew | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 8 GB RAM | Apple 1 TB & Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 9.5 | Studio One 3 Professional | Ozone 7 | Pro Tools 12 | Adobe CC | Presonus FireStudio Project | M-Audio Axiom | And many plugs

miscend

04 Aug 2017

Have you tried you tried TDR Nova? I think it does the same job. It's a compressor with dynamic bands which allows you to soothe resonances and harsh frequencies.

slightlyprog

04 Aug 2017

Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017

So it's only working on resonances. What about harmonics? usually if you have a resonance, you'll at least have a strong second harmonic somewhere (if its a natural one). Sounds interesting if it's good for taking out closet tones :idea:

Find something that has pesky elements in the sound that you'd like to remove and give it a try. It determines what is the essence of the sound and pin-points anything that it thinks should be removed / reduced.

I rescued some vocal tracks that had really harsh artifacts caused by the room they were recorded in and some guitar tracks that had a few piercing highs. The algorithm at work in there is very clever at figuring out what is the core of the sound and targeting anything else.

slightlyprog

04 Aug 2017

miscend wrote:
04 Aug 2017
Have you tried you tried TDR Nova? I think it does the same job. It's a compressor with dynamic bands which allows you to soothe resonances and harsh frequencies.
I have the Nova GE version and have been playing with it a bit. It can do something vaguely similar but it appears to create a curve in learn mode and then it homes in on a few bands and those bands remain static. I'm not yet convinced it can accomplish what Soothe can because Soothe is constantly analysing the signal and dipping different frequencies in real time. It's possible that for some tracks Nova might do just as well with some tweaking. Soothe you can just sling onto anything and it just pretty much works straight away.

Kalm

04 Aug 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
04 Aug 2017
Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017

Find something that has pesky elements in the sound that you'd like to remove and give it a try. It determines what is the essence of the sound and pin-points anything that it thinks should be removed / reduced.

I rescued some vocal tracks that had really harsh artifacts caused by the room they were recorded in and some guitar tracks that had a few piercing highs. The algorithm at work in there is very clever at figuring out what is the core of the sound and targeting anything else.
That's what I'm talking about. That sounds like a winner. Ima give it a try at some point. I have the perfect vocalist/recording to attempt it with too.

• Information