Unread posts issues

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
pongasoft
RE Developer

26 Apr 2022

There is a big issue in this forum when using the "Unread posts" feature.

Here is a concrete example:
- I select "Quick links / Unread posts"
- I get a page of 25 results and it tells me there are 32 posts
- I read one post on page 1
- Now I select [page 2]
- It displays page 2 and it says there are 31 posts (since I read one)
- But the issue is that what used to be the first post of page 2 (when I got the first page of result) is now the last post of page 1 or in other words when I display page 2, I am missing one post (which is now on page 1)

I think this is a very bad behavior. The list that gets generated (in this instance 32 posts) should not change as you navigate from page to page while reading posts. I have always suspected I missed some posts, but now I understand why...

orthodox
RE Developer

26 Apr 2022

pongasoft wrote:
26 Apr 2022
The list that gets generated (in this instance 32 posts) should not change as you navigate from page to page while reading posts.
It's an inherent problem of a query-based web application, which phpBB™ is. The list is generated every time the page is requested. If it was generated only once, there would be just nowhere to store the list, or even the number of read messages. I don't see that being ever fixed.

EDIT:
I just thought there could be a way to implement that if the timestamp of reading the message was stored in the DB instead of the 'read' flag.

• Information