are we supposed to Quote Every line in a Thread?

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
calebbrennan

05 Sep 2018

This post was great
Jagwah
Unread post 02 Sep 2018

"Hi guys,

Hoping to get some rather specific advice here so I'll explain the angle I'm coming from and hopefully I can get some good suggestions. I like this thread but what's with why everybody has to qoute full text.
It seems
Best DAW for video editing?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet reading this post was full of repetition of previous posts.

Why does every entry have to include the body of text over and again?

We're all responding to the same thread

Maybe I'm ignorant of the protocol here

Zac

05 Sep 2018

I really dislike the practice myself but have been told it's necessary so people know their post has been replied to. And supposedly it makes it clear what someone is responding to.

I can see their point maybe 10% of the time. The rest is just unnecessary and annoying scrolling in my opinion.

Loque

05 Sep 2018

calebbrennan wrote:
05 Sep 2018
This post was great
Jagwah
Unread post 02 Sep 2018

"Hi guys,

Hoping to get some rather specific advice here so I'll explain the angle I'm coming from and hopefully I can get some good suggestions. I like this thread but what's with why everybody has to qoute full text.
It seems
Best DAW for video editing?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet reading this post was full of repetition of previous posts.

Why does every entry have to include the body of text over and again?

We're all responding to the same thread

Maybe I'm ignorant of the protocol here
Yea, quoting sux...
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

05 Sep 2018

calebbrennan wrote:…Hoping to get some rather specific advice here so I'll explain the angle I'm coming from and hopefully I can get some good suggestions. I like this thread but what's with why everybody has to qoute full text…
I feel it’s important to at least quote the relevant line from the post you’re responding to.

What REALLY bugs me is a non-quoted post in a long thread where you have to reply asking “is this addressed to me, or someone else”, thus further cluttering the thread. Or worse yet, you ignore the post because you don’t realize it’s addressed to you, or a ton of other folks think it’s addressed to them and they all respond.

If you’re simply commenting on the thread as a whole, there’s no need to quote anything, assuming the context is understood. In that case you’re responding to, and speaking to, the group and not the OP, so it makes sense to make a general broad statement.

In general, it’s more clear if you address the person you’re speaking to, since we’re in a group setting, quoting the relevant sections for context.

If you look at the thread in question you’ll see I’ve used all of the above approaches, each (hopefully) where relevant.
[emoji3]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

05 Sep 2018

Maybe a website suggestion, if the "quote" is bigger than 5 lines, make it collapsible and have it collapsed at start.
Reason12, Win10

Pinkbox

05 Sep 2018

Quoting the OP on the first reply is the worst. I've stopped using my phone for RT because of that "over quoting" habit.

Creativemind

05 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
05 Sep 2018
Maybe a website suggestion, if the "quote" is bigger than 5 lines, make it collapsible and have it collapsed at start.
Good idea and I've appropriately made use of a quote here lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

calebbrennan

05 Sep 2018

"Selig #6912 Posted
"I feel it’s important to at least quote the relevant line from the post you’re responding to.

........If you’re simply commenting on the thread as a whole, there’s no need to quote anything, assuming the context is understood. In that case you’re responding to, and speaking to, the group and not the OP, so it makes sense to make a general broad statement.

In general, it’s more clear if you address the person you’re speaking to, since we’re in a group setting, quoting the relevant sections for context.

If you look at the thread in question you’ll see I’ve used all of the above approaches, each (hopefully) where relevant. "
---------------------------------------

Caleb wrote
I agree (I have to admit I've made the error of posting without sufficient reference before and that can get confusing)
On the other hand the re-posting multiple lines of text does indeed make for more clutter and obfuscates the thrust of the thread. A kind suggestion to the moderation board is on other forums each post is numbered
so when I respond to a poster all I need is a number and a name.
For example I could respond to seligs post by just referencing
Selig #6912
selig
I think this would lead to better discussion, less clutter and more clarity.

calebbrennan

05 Sep 2018

Loque wrote: ↑Today
"Maybe a website suggestion, if the "quote" is bigger than 5 lines, make it collapsible and have it collapsed at start."
---------------------------------------
Caleb said
I like this suggestion as well.
All I know is I get inspired to respond and get frustrated with the laboriousness of responding.
A numbered system would work great

I

calebbrennan

05 Sep 2018

I just got a red flag from monitors that said this

"Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Propellerheads software."

Caleb said
"Now I'm really confused.
I thought this forum was exactly for getting support on my software from a community instead of the company which is why I come here. I've never seen that type of warning, did I break some rules? Not that I'm aware of?

moneykube

10 Sep 2018

sometimes answers come much faster here then through "proper " channels... so without seeing the post in guestion... sounds confusing to me as well
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

TimothySkAvy

29 Jan 2019

Isnt it already automatic that if youve posted to a thread that you get an email telling you that someone else has posted?

QVprod

29 Jan 2019

TimothySkAvy wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Isnt it already automatic that if youve posted to a thread that you get an email telling you that someone else has posted?
No, it's optional.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2019

A good start would be to reintroduce the like function. Half the time people aren't looking to respond to add anything new to the conversation. They just want a way to express they agree with or appreciate someones statement.
I miss the like function myself tbh. The quoting issue wasn't nearly this bad when we could like peoples comments.

I know there can be downsides to the like system by I still prefer it over this.

• Information