why does this site always lock interesting posts?

List your suggestions here!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Propellerheads software.
sleep1979
Posts: 103
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 01 Jun 2018

as soon as something is intersting or has a bit of bite someone locks it? whats the point of a forum without freedom of speech ? fix up look sharp

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7244
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:as soon as something is intersting or has a bit of bite someone locks it? whats the point of a forum without freedom of speech ? fix up look sharp
My thoughts:

I guess we’d have to agree first on what is “interesting”. To me, interesting posts fall into the category of:
Techniques for music production in Reason that I haven’t heard before.
Interesting music produced with Reason.
Music related products going on sale.
A unique approach/philosophy to music production.
Musical and sonically interesting applications for CV processing.
Algorithmic approaches to making music.
Feature suggestions for better workflow when making music.
Someone exposing me to new/old music I’m not familiar with.
Maybe you’ve noticed the common thread - post that interest me all have to do with music in some form.

But my interests are not limited to music. I also enjoying sharing what I’m currently watching on TV or what music I’m listening to, reading about another member’s hobby’s or interests outside of music, or having a laugh at a funny video or link.



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1188
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 01 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:as soon as something is intersting or has a bit of bite someone locks it? whats the point of a forum without freedom of speech ? fix up look sharp
Because we have rules here. People should really read them.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7244
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

Kenni wrote:
sleep1979 wrote:as soon as something is intersting or has a bit of bite someone locks it? whats the point of a forum without freedom of speech ? fix up look sharp
Because we have rules here. People should really read them.

As for freedom of speech, it is guaranteed in a public forum in this country, which is great, and our government in the US can do nothing to shut it down as long as it doesn’t break any rules (there is no “absolute” free speech). But to be clear, this is not a public forum, and is not run by the US government. This forum is privately owned and run. I’m thankful to be here and I try to behave myself according to the house rules (which I accept by being here).



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3429
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

Because the Reason community is plagued by misanthropes. I guess it's normal. Creative people are seldom balanced characters. And I don't think society just has to live with that so yeah, thats why people are told "not in my house" - which is fine imo.

sleep1979
Posts: 103
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 01 Jun 2018

I of course am interested by music related posts , but i think posts should be allowed to "go there" talk about controversy and if people break rules warn them then ban them . People are too pc these days debate is good for the brain. Peace & love x

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7244
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:I of course am interested by music related posts , but i think posts should be allowed to "go there" talk about controversy and if people break rules warn them then ban them . People are too pc these days debate is good for the brain. Peace & love x
I believe you’ve just described how this forum is moderated, with the addition of locking threads where everyone starts breaking the rules and there is no common good served by continuing the thread.


if you want a forum where debates are allowed to continue unmoderated, I’m sure there are plenty of options open to you!
;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Voyager
Posts: 498
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

guess what, in before locked post...

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 210
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 01 Jun 2018

I thought the forum was called REASONtalk?
Tend the flame

User avatar
Raveshaper
Posts: 1002
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

Can we get a new free device called the Phasys Twin? It would just periodically play a sample of a British guy saying "sounds like bullocks, mate", "shite, you're a real broke bloke idnya", or "get a real DAW, ya tosser".

Also hi dude, it was real but there are meds for that now. I speak from experience. Really, they're good.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

djadalaide
Posts: 127
Joined: 11 May 2018

Post 01 Jun 2018

Because popcorn is expensive these days. Moderators can't afford the amount of popcorn you would need for the most interesting threads on here to continue.

jimmyklane
Posts: 737
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

Post 01 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
as soon as something is intersting or has a bit of bite someone locks it? whats the point of a forum without freedom of speech ? fix up look sharp
What actually DEFINES ReasonTalk? I think that it is Reason-centric discussion. So, music production, recording techniques, collaborative contacts (social network for Reason users), Reviews of RE/PH devices, sharing of personal music projects, and general use cases for Reason or even other DAWs.....

Everything else is sort of off topic of the whole idea of this forum, correct?
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

sleep1979
Posts: 103
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 01 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
01 Jun 2018
sleep1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
as soon as something is intersting or has a bit of bite someone locks it? whats the point of a forum without freedom of speech ? fix up look sharp
What actually DEFINES ReasonTalk? I think that it is Reason-centric discussion. So, music production, recording techniques, collaborative contacts (social network for Reason users), Reviews of RE/PH devices, sharing of personal music projects, and general use cases for Reason or even other DAWs.....

Everything else is sort of off topic of the whole idea of this forum, correct?
NOT if its about music related people or things

User avatar
deepndark
Posts: 1268
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Finland

Post 01 Jun 2018

This forum doesn't allow you to be yourself, you need to serve some kind rule to not be your own plain self. I got banned for 10 days and the real firestarter didn't. All the discussion's related to reason and how it sounds are forbidden. I regret I didn't keep the ol' good reasonheads.net that allowed all this. I also still have bad grips how some people behaved back then, when they stole my idea of 3rd party reason forum too btw.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1846
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
I of course am interested by music related posts , but i think posts should be allowed to "go there" talk about controversy and if people break rules warn them then ban them . People are too pc these days debate is good for the brain. Peace & love x
It's got nothing to with PC and controversy, and all to do with the way that some people engage in socially destructive ways that do not make for a forum that is hospitable.

Some people have an emotional drive to spew vitriol. Some people aren't in a discussion to discuss but to fight tooth and nail. There's only so much of, "no I'm right," you can have until it turns into, "I'm right because you're an idiot." Discussions quickly turn into arguments when conflicting points of view meet, and arguments quickly stray away from the discussion and descends into ego attacks.
---

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 816
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

Misanthropy is the general hatred, dislike, distrust or contempt of the human species or human nature. A misanthrope or misanthropist is someone who holds such views or feelings. The word's origin is from the Greek words and. The condition is often confused with asociality.

We can't have that. Delete it.

User avatar
platzangst
Posts: 523
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

The corollary to free speech is the freedom to not speak. In effect, everything ReasonTalk hosts on their own private forum is their speech, the rest of us just type it. It's as if we're using their mouth to broadcast our thoughts. And if any of us start using their mouth to say things they don't approve of, they have the right to restrict the use of their mouth in that regard.

Any forum owner can be strict or lax in what they allow to be said. The only real critique that can be made is if an owner presents themselves as being lax, but actually operates in a strict manner, or vice-versa.

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3429
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Misanthropy is the general hatred, dislike, distrust or contempt of the human species or human nature. A misanthrope or misanthropist is someone who holds such views or feelings. The word's origin is from the Greek words and. The condition is often confused with asociality.

We can't have that. Delete it.
Contempt of human nature, yes. Or do you say the targets of forum hatred are unnatural? It's not the thing itself thats banned, it's the form. Still it's not the words that are bad (and need open discussion), its the intention. It's a bit complicated and I think our forum team handles it admirably. :)

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 816
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
01 Jun 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Misanthropy is the general hatred, dislike, distrust or contempt of the human species or human nature. A misanthrope or misanthropist is someone who holds such views or feelings. The word's origin is from the Greek words and. The condition is often confused with asociality.

We can't have that. Delete it.
Contempt of human nature, yes. Or do you say the targets of forum hatred are unnatural? It's not the thing itself thats banned, it's the form. Still it's not the words that are bad, its the intention. It's a bit complicated and I think our forum team handles it admirably. :)
That was copy pasted from Wiki.
The art of split second Jedi mind reading is best left to professionals like judges, cops and private forum owners. Until the European Article 13 becomes reality.

User avatar
mreese80
Posts: 1132
Joined: 19 Nov 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
This forum doesn't allow you to be yourself, you need to serve some kind rule to not be your own plain self. I got banned for 10 days and the real firestarter didn't. All the discussion's related to reason and how it sounds are forbidden. I regret I didn't keep the ol' good reasonheads.net that allowed all this. I also still have bad grips how some people behaved back then, when they stole my idea of 3rd party reason forum too btw.
I've been saying that bro. I used to love this forum. But after interesting posts and topics started getting locked I quit posting. I love deep conversations and great debates. I don't mind nobody saying what they want if that's how they feel. I've had some slight back and forts with a few people here but as soon as we said what we said it was over. We were on to the next topic and usually agreed on things. Some of those same people have helped me out plenty of times with questions i had. One thing about this forum is the people here are very resourceful. I dont feel that anyone holds a grudge on this forum even after they've went head to head on a post or two. All this locking banning is girlish man imo. Let people be. We all know true disrespect from a disagreement. But it ain't my forum and i don't call no shots so hey... :D
Reason 10 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2018 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7244
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
This forum doesn't allow you to be yourself, you need to serve some kind rule to not be your own plain self. I got banned for 10 days and the real firestarter didn't. All the discussion's related to reason and how it sounds are forbidden. I regret I didn't keep the ol' good reasonheads.net that allowed all this. I also still have bad grips how some people behaved back then, when they stole my idea of 3rd party reason forum too btw.
If one doesn't want to follow the rules here, then one should not be surprised if they get banned - it's that simple, really.
The rules are clearly written for all to read, and anyone are free to disregard them if they like and the mods are free to ban them if they do. Simple as that.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 816
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018



GENIUS!

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7244
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

mreese80 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
This forum doesn't allow you to be yourself, you need to serve some kind rule to not be your own plain self. I got banned for 10 days and the real firestarter didn't. All the discussion's related to reason and how it sounds are forbidden. I regret I didn't keep the ol' good reasonheads.net that allowed all this. I also still have bad grips how some people behaved back then, when they stole my idea of 3rd party reason forum too btw.
I've been saying that bro. I used to love this forum. But after interesting posts and topics started getting locked I quit posting. I love deep conversations and great debates. I don't mind nobody saying what they want if that's how they feel. I've had some slight back and forts with a few people here but as soon as we said what we said it was over. We were on to the next topic and usually agreed on things. Some of those same people have helped me out plenty of times with questions i had. One thing about this forum is the people here are very resourceful. I dont feel that anyone holds a grudge on this forum even after they've went head to head on a post or two. All this locking banning is girlish man imo. Let people be. We all know true disrespect from a disagreement. But it ain't my forum and i don't call no shots so hey... :D
"Interesting" topics that get locked are what we consider to be negative and destructive threads. I suggest if that is your idea of "interesting" you look elsewhere for your forum needs.

All this "locking banning" is only required because of childish behavior and folks simply refusing to follow the rules. If you find that somehow "girlish", and I can only assume you are aware you are dissing the entire female gender with that very comment, you are free to go to visit a more "manly" forum!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
deepndark
Posts: 1268
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Finland

Post 01 Jun 2018

This forum is anyway based on stealing the idea from someone else, what a great foundation to create a community.
My memory doesn't lie, what so ever.

The moderation here isn't the bestest I've seen.

kitekrazy
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Kenni wrote:Because we have rules here. People should really read them.

As for freedom of speech, it is guaranteed in a public forum in this country, which is great, and our government in the US can do nothing to shut it down as long as it doesn’t break any rules (there is no “absolute” free speech). But to be clear, this is not a public forum, and is not run by the US government. This forum is privately owned and run. I’m thankful to be here and I try to behave myself according to the house rules (which I accept by being here).



Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
I think you have this wrong. Any forum moderator has the right to censor anything.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests