New site layout

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
Exowildebeest

17 Jun 2017

I'm happy there's still a dark theme - but it feels cramped in here. Too much unused space.

O1B

17 Jun 2017

I used to frequent prop.se several times a day - like any news, or education, or banking site.
It wasn't I that wandered off; it was those darned shop changes. I made it back maybe 5 times in the last two years. RE purchases skydived.

reason talk made it easy to reconnect to the old PUF and stay abreast of the scuttlebutt.
I needs my scuttlebutt.
And... about...
Ostermilk wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Separated at birth:

http://www.reasonforums.com/

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017

This is a much more articulate way of explaining this.
Is that your attempt at an insult?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

deepndark

17 Jun 2017

Not sure if you RT team did some font-color changes already, but it seems to work a lot better. The text needs to not melt too much together with the background as otherwise the eyes are not catching up the text and makes you being a bit like when you're in high. :cool:

Arrant
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2017

Too hard to differentiate one post from another IMO, hope the design changes,

stratatonic

17 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017

I think what he was implying was that JP hit the nail on the head.
Anyways, here 's my view of the new forum on an iPad.

IMG_2381.PNG
IMG_2381.PNG (287.1 KiB) Viewed 5585 times

chk071

17 Jun 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 Jun 2017
chk071 wrote:
17 Jun 2017
To the people complaining about the layout on a mobile phone, or Tablet: I wouldn't want to browse forums on my smartphone without this anymore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... o.activity Reasontalk is also available for it.
Here's a typical view.

Screenshot_20170617-130819.png

I wouldn't want to browse forums on a smartphone with always-on, advertising-driven third party program just to view one forum. But if you can post a screenshot of how it looks in Taptalk, feel free, and if it's works better, well, I still wouldn't consider it, because I still don't need to be tracked by more advertisers.

The fact, as I showed above, it's barely any better on a 16:10 desktop is indicative of poor design. Now, I don't know who's responsible for designing it, is it a host template? As Ostermilk correctly notes, it's been designed to look cool, not be functional.

(edit: sorry from me too... I wasn't expecting that mobile screenie to be quite so big :lol: :roll: )
So why would i post a screenshot if you're not interested at all anyway? :P And i don't just use it for one forum, i use it for about 8 forums (maybe more).

BTW, i wasn't aware that Reasontalk is not advertising driven. Maybe i'm hallucinating, because i see ads on this site.
:reason: :rebirth:

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

stratatonic wrote:
17 Jun 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017

IMG_2381.PNG
He did hit the nail on the head and the reply was an attempt at an insult to first post me by saying "This is a much more articulate way of explaining this." If he was saying JP hit the nail on the head he would have typed that in the reply he didn't! So just stay out of it... Not your place to defend anyone really. If its in poor taste or not no need to draw anymore attention to it is there.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

esselfortium

17 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
stratatonic wrote:
17 Jun 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017

IMG_2381.PNG
He did hit the nail on the head and the reply was an attempt at an insult to first post me by saying "This is a much more articulate way of explaining this." If he was saying JP hit the nail on the head he would have typed that in the reply he didn't! So just stay out of it... Not your place to defend anyone really. If its in poor taste or not no need to draw anymore attention to it is there.
Does this really warrant that kind of aggression?

Abstrax posted in this thread trying to convey what's wrong with the new design, and then saw JP's post which explained it in better detail.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

stratatonic

17 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
He did hit the nail on the head and the reply was an attempt at an insult to first post me by saying "This is a much more articulate way of explaining this." If he was saying JP hit the nail on the head he would have typed that in the reply he didn't!
So just stay out of it... Not your place to defend anyone really. If its in poor taste or not no need to draw anymore attention to it is there.
And yet, here you are drawing attention to a perceived slight, that nobody here except you has noticed.

Turn off your device, and go for a walk.

Abstrax

17 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
stratatonic wrote:
17 Jun 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017

IMG_2381.PNG
My reply was directed at myself. My first post in this thread, I added nothing to the conversation and was completely unhelpful. I think i just called the new layout trash or something. It wasn't an insult at you. You nailed it too. Sorry for the mix up.

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
stratatonic wrote:
17 Jun 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017

IMG_2381.PNG
My reply was directed at myself. My first post in this thread, I added nothing to the conversation and was completely unhelpful. I think i just called the new layout trash or something. It wasn't an insult at you. You nailed it too. Sorry for the mix up.
Okay thanks for clearing that up.

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

stratatonic wrote:
17 Jun 2017
And yet, here you are drawing attention to a perceived slight, that nobody here except you has noticed.

Done and dealt with like I said none of your business and still you want to make something of it when there doesn't need to be. Thanks for the suggestion have a good day. :thumbs_up:

SoulState

17 Jun 2017

O1B wrote:
17 Jun 2017
- The old allowed "pre-reading" the responses by hovering over a username before heading into the thread. Is that gone?

O1B
Yeah that was a GOOD feature!
:reason:

Abstrax

17 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
stratatonic wrote:
17 Jun 2017

Done and dealt with like I said none of your business and still you want to make something of it when there doesn't need to be. Thanks for the suggestion have a good day. :thumbs_up:
Alright it's over. Let's dial the aggression down and focus on the topic at hand. BURN THE SIDEBAR DOWN!!!

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

Abstrax wrote:
17 Jun 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Jun 2017
stratatonic wrote:
17 Jun 2017

Alright it's over. Let's dial the aggression down and focus on the topic at hand. BURN THE SIDEBAR DOWN!!!
Aggression your laughed at pal. I'm being frank and upfront and btw it was none of your business either so why are you trying to continue with dragging the topic out of focus. Your obviously doing so because I ignored you the first time when I could have responded. Try harder!

WongoTheSane

17 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz, please tone it down. You misunderstood a post, Abstrax was elegant enough to apologize to you (when you should have been doing the apology, honestly), now just move on.

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
17 Jun 2017
AttenuationHz, please tone it down. You misunderstood a post, Abstrax was elegant enough to apologize to you (when you should have been doing the apology, honestly), now just move on.
You can check back there I have moved on but 2 posters who it has nothing to do with are butting in and I'm in the wrong? come on now... Yeah I should have apologised and I was going to apologise to Abstrax in a pm just didn't get the chance.

I'm sorry Abstrax for misunderstanding what you said.

[Redacted by mods]

gak

18 Jun 2017

It's a sad aspect to internet forums.

A bunch of people jump on top of someone and he's the one hauled off to jail.

Jmax

18 Jun 2017

Most get rid of the side bar all together!.. once you scroll pass Luminostiy it all becomes empty space!

Just put the add at the very top where it was before, that worked well. Leave out all the Reason ads.. just have them on the other site as before, I often checked that and was glad to have official links and stuff there. Now it's just a big mess of small forum space and advertising.

Get rid of top hoover bar or make it smaller. It is always shading out other words and making things slightly confusing.

The text and font seems more clear and easier to read and quotes are more clear.

lakinlakin

18 Jun 2017

On PC
The sidebar is a waste of time and space. It should go.
Also, the hover function on topic links used to show the first and last post. This should be brought back. Now it just says 'unread posts'.

As others have said a few tweaks of CSS etc will make this Forum great again (to coin a phrase).

On Mobile
The changes are pretty good

AttenuationHz

18 Jun 2017

PM view: with the window sized, I used to use, have to use larger disproportionate sized window now. If you drag the size of the reply window making it smaller from left to right it moves the reply box down further, its because of the floating sidebar if that what its called/?
PM..JPG
PM..JPG (60.25 KiB) Viewed 5351 times

AttenuationHz

18 Jun 2017

On PC
The sidebar is a waste of time and space. It should go.

Not sure if this is possible but what if once you get passed the sidebar make it so replies below the luminosity take up that space. The top few replies get squashed.

Jmax

18 Jun 2017

Layout looks better now, but would love to see the top hoover bar gone or moved to the left. It still blocks out 1/7 of the screen

joeyluck

18 Jun 2017

Jmax wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Layout looks better now, but would love to see the top hoover bar gone or moved to the left. It still blocks out 1/7 of the screen
There was one before. But perhaps because it was smaller, it was less in the way. Maybe it can be resized?

• Information