Wondering if anyone is interested in a modular section for Reasontalk?

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.

Would you like to see a dedicated section for sharing modular configurations?

Yes, I would love to see modular only discussions and users showing their creations
93%
No, that is what the other sections are for
3%
Don't care, I just want to discuss the latest VST or RE
3%

Total votes: 29
Oquasec

19 Sep 2017

I still can't get over how much I like the choices they made, when designing that daw to have plugins load up like that.
To have the behavior when loading, and being used for production is why I gotta keep usin that.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2017

What's wrong of taking a chance and just giving us a section?

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2017

There is an open source modular software system that would fit very nicely into this modular section. I believe that it will be getting bridge to work as a VST in the coming months also.

https://vcvrack.com
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:What's wrong of taking a chance and just giving us a section?
There’s nothing wrong, there’s just no demand for it. Or maybe I’m not understanding the problem. What’s stopping you guys from discussing things in any of the existing sections?

As a general rule, when the discussions get too distracting for a paticular sub-forum, we’ll gladly spin it off to it’s own area.

At present there is more talk about why there is no modular discussion section here than there is actual talk about using Reason as a modular system (trying to be sure I’m remembering the original intention of this thread…that’s it, right?).
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

18 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:What's wrong of taking a chance and just giving us a section?
There’s nothing wrong, there’s just no demand for it. Or maybe I’m not understanding the problem. What’s stopping you guys from discussing things in any of the existing sections?

As a general rule, when the discussions get too distracting for a paticular sub-forum, we’ll gladly spin it off to it’s own area.

At present there is more talk about why there is no modular discussion section here than there is actual talk about using Reason as a modular system (trying to be sure I’m remembering the original intention of this thread…that’s it, right?).

Would a thread at least be stickied for it in general as a test to see if people would be/are interested? A compromise. If new users or old users see it with content relating to modular and CV then that's were the interest can grow. Think the point of it would be to get people interested in it rather than there being interest in it.

That VCV rack is going to take off full steam mark my words it really is amazing software but there is a knack to it, it is fully modular there is lots of tutorials around for that. Using it in reason is a no brainer if you ask me the two compliment each other so well. The stuff I've learned in Reason is really helping me out using it tbh.

If this thread was in General there might be vested interest in it!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

QVprod

18 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
18 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
18 Oct 2017

Would a thread at least be stickied for it in general as a test to see if people would be/are interested? A compromise. If new users or old users see it with content relating to modular and CV then that's were the interest can grow. Think the point of it would be to get people interested in it rather than there being interest in it.

That VCV rack is going to take off full steam mark my words it really is amazing software but there is a knack to it, it is fully modular there is lots of tutorials around for that. Using it in reason is a no brainer if you ask me the two compliment each other so well. The stuff I've learned in Reason is really helping me out using it tbh.

To piggyback on selig, the idea is this: Currently, the only active modular threads are this one (which isn't actually about modular synthesis) and the VCV rack thread. So basically there is literally one modular thread going on right now with only 23 replies over the course of a month. That doesn't show much demand. As an example, We added a VST forum because it was unquestionable that with the release of 9.5 there was a huge demand for it.

On the contrary, If multiple modular topics were being created and active discussions were taking place, It would be silly of us not to add a modular section.

AttenuationHz

18 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
18 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
18 Oct 2017

To piggyback on selig, the idea is this: Currently, the only active modular threads are this one in website suggestions! (which isn't actually about modular synthesis) and the VCV rack thread. So basically there is literally one modular thread going on right now with only 23 replies over the course of a month. That doesn't show much demand. As an example, We added a VST forum because it was unquestionable that with the release of 9.5 there was a huge demand for it.

On the contrary, If multiple modular topics were being created and active discussions were taking place, It would be silly of us not to add a modular section.
FTFY :thumbs_up:

The VCV rack thread was only seen by myself by chance how many others missed it? Point I am making here is the basis of the decision rests on the amount of interest in a forum where nobody has any interest in looking! Here and H&SW. Similar to the amount of votes in favour is the amount of replies in the VCV thread also. As the old saying goes if you build it they will come.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 18 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

QVprod

18 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
18 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
18 Oct 2017

To piggyback on selig, the idea is this: Currently, the only active modular threads are this one in website suggestions! (which isn't actually about modular synthesis) and the VCV rack thread. So basically there is literally one modular thread going on right now with only 23 replies over the course of a month. That doesn't show much demand. As an example, We added a VST forum because it was unquestionable that with the release of 9.5 there was a huge demand for it.

The VCV rack thread was only seen by myself by chance how many others missed it? Point I am making here is the basis of the decision rests on the amount of interest in a forum where nobody has any interest in looking! Here and H&SW. Similar to the amount of votes in favour is the amount of replies in the VCV thread also. As the old saying goes if you build it they will come.
The question is this. What stops those interested parties from starting modular related threads? Many browse this forum using the New Posts feature which shows all active unread threads so visibility shouldn't be a huge problem.

AttenuationHz

18 Oct 2017

I'm not saying I disagree here I think both points are valid if there is interest then of course it should get a sub if not then there will be no traffic to justify the folder!

Nothing is stopping it! In fact there should be a thread started in General and probably stickied to test the interest! There would be a lot of categories in such a thread though tutorials, techniques and just general questions about it!

It seems likely that there should be a discussion of that though to make it organised!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
18 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
18 Oct 2017

The question is this. What stops those interested parties from starting modular related threads? Many browse this forum using the New Posts feature which shows all active unread threads so visibility shouldn't be a huge problem.
because a lot of people don't use the new posts, unread posts etc. it will soon be lost.

because many (not 100's like Reason General for Reason stuff, the VCV does not fit in there so already things will be in different places) different threads can be produced and followed in one place.

Personally I would like it to be cabling and I/O section which includes Modular, remote mappings (personally I'm talking Nektar here which is in the H/W other S/W section and not under RE\Remote mappings!!!) also that thread is like 20 pages long, people get lost with it and MIDI.

Allihoopa General , whoopee!!! only 462 threads, that was never asked for by the community, that could have been added to the Reason Music section.

O1B

18 Oct 2017

Yes. This need a Home. The MOOGERFOOGER MODULAR MONSTER!

http://millionmachinemarch.com/2017/10/ ... ck-system/
Im pretty shocked how few seem aware of Electron, Moog, etc.

We've got room for Ab Live, Rol TR-808s, and the OLD Behringer BCR MIDI stuff, it seems.

...this would help to step our game up.

theshoemaker

19 Oct 2017

:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

AttenuationHz

19 Oct 2017

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
18 Oct 2017
I'm not saying I disagree here I think both points are valid if there is interest then of course it should get a sub if not then there will be no traffic to justify the folder!

Nothing is stopping it! In fact there should be a thread started in General and probably stickied to test the interest! There would be a lot of categories in such a thread though tutorials, techniques and just general questions about it!

It seems likely that there should be a discussion of that though to make it organised!
Thing is, however much interest there is in the forum, practically no threads are even being started on the subject. There are two main types of modular threads that would be created:
1. Questions
2. Sharing / discussing ideas

There is already a tutorial and technique section, and anyone with questions would ask there (they haven't). Anyone who has ideas they want to share will share them regardless of there being a subforum.

I see this a lot on the web. People create these blogs and have all these sections for blog subjects, but when you click on them they are empty. Coming soon. Under construction. Copyright 2008, with last blog post saying, "update coming tomorrow."
Last edited by avasopht on 19 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

19 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
18 Oct 2017

I'm pretty much hinting at it. Someone could even do a modular synthesis series of videos or articles. We've mentioned that we're looking for content. There's curation of course but it's open. The main thing is just for people to start posting about it. From what I can see that's the only way we don't end up with an pretty much empty subforum.
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
18 Oct 2017

because a lot of people don't use the new posts, unread posts etc. it will soon be lost.

because many (not 100's like Reason General for Reason stuff, the VCV does not fit in there so already things will be in different places) different threads can be produced and followed in one place.

Personally I would like it to be cabling and I/O section which includes Modular, remote mappings (personally I'm talking Nektar here which is in the H/W other S/W section and not under RE\Remote mappings!!!) also that thread is like 20 pages long, people get lost with it and MIDI.

Allihoopa General , whoopee!!! only 462 threads, that was never asked for by the community, that could have been added to the Reason Music section.
With the exception of VCV Rack and physical Eurorack stuff (both of which would be in hardware and other software), most Reason modular stuff would actually end up in Reason general or tutorials and techniques. As far as starting things off, I don't think they would be that scattered. Reason general is i believe the most posted in forum for Reason related topics. As stated above I'd recommend starting some threads.

As far as remote maps go, as you mentioned people getting lost in the 20 page long Nektar thread, I don't think a thread is the best place to host all of that information. Perhaps maybe updates but I think I see more use out of something more like github while perhaps using the thread for announcements of updates. of course it wold be great if we could provide an easy to find link to the information. With that in mind I'm not sure how a subforum would make that any easier as having a thread for each map could be just as hard to follow.

AttenuationHz

19 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
19 Oct 2017

Thing is, however much interest there is in the forum, practically no threads are even being started on the subject. There are two main types of modular threads that would be created:
1. Questions
2. Sharing / discussing ideas

There is already a tutorial and technique section, and anyone with questions would ask there (they haven't). Anyone who has ideas they want to share will share them regardless of there being a subforum.

I see this a lot on the web. People create these blogs and have all these sections for blog subjects, but when you click on them they are empty. Coming soon. Under construction. Copyright 2008, with last blog post saying, "update coming tomorrow."
Well there is a reason why nobody is asking they find out else where and it is probably a relatively easy solution to the question e.g. how do you make a basic kick with modular. Its just a gate into an ADSR into an attenuator using an oscillator to blend in the gate. Iv'e ask many questions in Hardware and Software section and have not gotten a reply in some of the threads because there is just not enough eyes on that forum at that particular time and more threads got posted on top of it. It would be the same if those threads were posted in general and probably more so because General see's heavy traffic.

The whole point of ReasonTalk is to gather like minded people and share the education gotten through music creation or formally to develop as a Reason User and Musician. If the resources are not there in the first place on the forum or if they are hard to find then people will look to blogs and YouTube content and use that info without posting it here which is or is not their obligation of course depending on how busy or selfish/lazy they are. But if there was some organisation to the gartering of that info i.e. a thread/forum to repost it into then it will gain interest.

Mods: Can the thread posted above in T&T be stickied because again I missed that thread also in the whitewash and only for the link to it being posted here I would have missed entirely. I have an interest in modular stuff and educating myself that seems like the perfect place and forum for it. For now! That thread is a good few months old too.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
19 Oct 2017
Well there is a reason why nobody is asking they find out else where and it is probably a relatively easy solution to the question e.g. how do you make a basic kick with modular. Its just a gate into an ADSR into an attenuator using an oscillator to blend in the gate. Iv'e ask many questions in Hardware and Software section and have not gotten a reply in some of the threads because there is just not enough eyes on that forum at that particular time and more threads got posted on top of it. It would be the same if those threads were posted in general and probably more so because General see's heavy traffic.
Well one obvious reason for a modular section in ReasonTalk nobody has thought to mention, ...

This is frikkin' Reason (a modular environment for crying out loud) :reason: Not having a modular section is bordering blasphemy! Alternatively one could say that modular is implied in all sections so now I'm rather confused :?

selig
RE Developer

19 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
19 Oct 2017
Well one obvious reason for a modular section in ReasonTalk nobody has thought to mention, ...

This is frikkin' Reason (a modular environment for crying out loud) :reason: Not having a modular section is bordering blasphemy! Alternatively one could say that modular is implied in all sections so now I'm rather confused :?
So “Reason General” should simply be renamed “Modular”? [emoji6]

I think that’s more of an argument for NOT having a specific section for modulars, right?!?

I agree - EVERYTHING in Reason is modular, so every forum COULD have modular concepts discussed within them and it would be totally logical.

Taking the concept further, to separate out the modular concepts would be like having a separate forum for “automation”, or “Note Editor”. Just IMO…

But (I say this because there may be some confusion with these terms) if you want to discuss modular analog synths, this is probably not the best place to do so. [emoji6]

Selig Audio, LLC

theshoemaker

19 Oct 2017

It would help to have additional tags on the topic and a tag cloud. So we can search for tags ... Maybe that's a good solution. Posting in an existing subforum and tagging it with #modular
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

selig
RE Developer

19 Oct 2017

theshoemaker wrote:It would help to have additional tags on the topic and a tag cloud. So we can search for tags ... Maybe that's a good solution. Posting in an existing subforum and tagging it with #modular
Now you’re talking - a solution that works for every new sub-forum request instead of just this one! Will check with Kenni and see if this is even possible with our current software.

Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

19 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
19 Oct 2017
theshoemaker wrote:It would help to have additional tags on the topic and a tag cloud. So we can search for tags ... Maybe that's a good solution. Posting in an existing subforum and tagging it with #modular
Now you’re talking - a solution that works for every new sub-forum request instead of just this one! Will check with Kenni and see if this is even possible with our current software.

could work with posts too #suggestions #lightbulb when its not posted in feature requests might be misused though.

• Information