Are Rank Farming Threads Illegal?

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
Raveshaper

17 Jun 2016

I would rather earn my way through the ranks using non pointless methods and meaningful discussion, but if someone made a pointless thread specifically for the purposes of farming member rank points, is that a violation? The world needs an elite squad of ScottyM level power users. :P

PS this is a terrible idea what am i even saying
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

tibah

18 Jun 2016

There is no such thing like "member rank points" or a "rank" at all, that represents your value for the community. We had this discussion before.

The title system is only based on post count, true, but there is nothing to gain, nor there is a benefit to it. It's simply taken over from the first version of ReasonTalk and still remains. I can see why people are bothered still being a dabbler or hobbyist, but there is really nothing to it. Quality over quantity I say.

I also can't think of an example where we the team or I had the personal feeling that people would spam for the purpose of finally getting to CV expert or alike.

Maybe this can lead to an interesting discussion about disabling this "feature". ;) We could set up a poll I guess, but then again, I don't believe that the majority of users is really bothered with this.

pushedbutton

18 Jun 2016

I vote for not giving a shit either way.
why you would want to cheat a system that has no benefit is beyond me.
get caught spamming and people will shun you.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

selig
RE Developer

18 Jun 2016

I would be fine with disabling this feature (I don't even see it on TapaTalk for some reason), as it serves no real purpose that I'm aware of. I don't mind a post count, but if we wanted to try to actually be helpful to new members then the only thing I can think of is a moderated rating system that attempts to establish whether someone knows what they're talking about or not. And I'm not sure that would even be worth the trouble, since it would only be new members that would need it (if even them!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Raveshaper

18 Jun 2016

What if the ranking system was somehow based on up votes? Even though it is in title only, maybe it could somehow be weighted by positive input? That way it would reflect a qualitative value? I like the system as it is, but having a dumpster thread specifically for farming "status" seemed hilarious to me.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

esselfortium

18 Jun 2016

Getting rid of the posting ranks would be ideal, or at least renaming them to something that isn't so misleading.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

• Information