Controller mod wheel rubber degrading

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
robussc

11 Apr 2024

This seems to happen to a lot of softer rubbers (elastomers?) in my experience, the texture starts to get a bit sticky and eventually starts falling apart. I'm very happy with the controller so replacing it just to deal with a failing mod wheel seems bad. But I imagine trying to fix it is pretty pointless?

It's a Novation LaunchKey 61 (I've had it for I guess 10 years? Doesn't seem that long... but probably the real answer is to replace it?)

So if the answer is replace it, what's the best 61 note controller under $500 these days?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

DaveyG

11 Apr 2024

If it's just sticky try warm soapy water. Then try sticky label remover. Then, if you are feeling brave, try a solvent like acetone. I've had success with all these methods in the past.
If it is falling apart contact Novation. They can supply common spares for their stuff and sometimes for really old bits of kit.

Or you can use it as a perfect excuse to buy a new controller. Surely one of the items on the shortlist should be a new Launchkey 61. I'd be tempted by an Arturia Keylab, maybe just over your price range, but there is plenty of other choice in your price range.

robussc

11 Apr 2024

DaveyG wrote:
11 Apr 2024
If it's just sticky try warm soapy water. Then try sticky label remover. Then, if you are feeling brave, try a solvent like acetone. I've had success with all these methods in the past.
If it is falling apart contact Novation. They can supply common spares for their stuff and sometimes for really old bits of kit.

Or you can use it as a perfect excuse to buy a new controller. Surely one of the items on the shortlist should be a new Launchkey 61. I'd be tempted by an Arturia Keylab, maybe just over your price range, but there is plenty of other choice in your price range.
Thanks, I found an old link to a Launchkey mod wheel on Reverb, but the item was gone. I'll try Novation as I have no urgent need to replace it (and it might be a fun project).
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

robussc

11 Apr 2024

Got a support ticket open, hopefully they'll have the part. But if all else fails there's a good number of reasonably priced MkIIIs on Reverb.

• Information