Any pitfalls to moving to new PC??

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Markysparky999

02 Apr 2024

Hi there,

So it looks like the PC I use for running Reason 11 has developed a minor issue on the mother board, which I can work around easily, but it has prompted me to think about upgrading….

Hoping someone with experience of this can answer a few questions - apologies if it’s been covered before, I couldn’t find any relevant posts by searching…

So my main concern is wether it’s going to be a PITA to move my existing projects over to a new PC…

I use a lot of self generated Rex files, all of which are in a folder on Google drive. Presumably every time I open a project with one of these files in it on the new PC I will need to go and find the file again??

Also is it likely to cause issues with samples/files built into reason if the file path is not exactly the same on the new PC??

Wanted to avoid cloning PC as its bad practice - can transfer software issues from old to new…

On a side note, what are people going for these days in terms of processor/ram? Currently running an old i5 and 8gb ram - all seems to run well

Any useful advice would be much appreciated🙏

Aosta

02 Apr 2024

This is exactly the question I've been wondering too.
I'm sure after migration you will have to find any folders/files/presets etc used in a track when opening it and resave the track for the new path location which depending on how many rns files you have will be time consuming.
You will also have download and resync your REs.
Tend the flame

crimsonwarlock

02 Apr 2024

Markysparky999 wrote:
02 Apr 2024
Also is it likely to cause issues with samples/files built into reason if the file path is not exactly the same on the new PC??
Basically, everything that is available in the browser-panel, will be found by Reason. So, if you have system-folders added to the browser, it doesn't matter if they point to a new location on the new machine. I've moved files between machines (with Reason installs), where the same file would reside in completely different locations (even different drives), but on each machie the specific folder was in the browser panel and it worked without any issues.

So, if you backup your files (including your RE-folder, see below), You only have to install Reason on the new machine, get the files in place from your backup, and you should be good to go.
Aosta wrote:
02 Apr 2024
You will also have download and resync your REs.
You can simply restore your REs from a backup copy. Beats having to download everything again. When you authorize your Reason install, all RE licenses will authorize as well.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information