Reason 12 Performance

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

26 Feb 2024

Hey all, I know there was another thread similar to this recently and I even posted what I thought might be a solution but honestly I'm just not entirely sure if everything is as it should be. Here's what I mean. Specs are;

i7 11700 (not new I know but, decent enough)
64GB DDR4
RTX3070
18i20 3rd Gen
Windows 11

At 48khz and 64 samples, I get pops. In a project with like, one audio track and no effects. It's especially noticeable if I do something like monitor the input of a sustained signal (like a hardware synth). And it's extremely sensitive to things like alt-tabbing, closing a window on screen, but it'll also do it just out of the blue with absolutely nothing going on. Tried it with core settings on default, all the way up to 16(HT). It sounds like the machine is struggling but the DSP bar is basically on zero. The best way I can describe it is like..'twitchy'.

At the same settings, I don't get the same with Cubase or Live. I just cannot figure it out. I feel like this wasn't a problem until quite recently. Is this sounding at all familiar to anyone? I wish I had some way to view exactly what was happening when these pops happen but all I know is that other DAWs don't have this issue. Even if I'm processing the signal through RRP.

**I'm also going to try a different interface if I can, as it's the only thing I can imagine might not play nicely with Reason.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2024

Windows's high-resolution timer is less predictable than macOS at high frequencies with many background threads.

There are tricks to make up for it a little, and Steinberg and Ableton may have better approaches that work well for 64 frames than Reason.

There's also the possibility that Cubase and Live are using undocumented Windows features to get a more accurate timer or raise the priority of their threads (undocumented features include bugs that were exploited by developers and features Microsoft kept secret to give their applications an advantage over others).

Reason standalone might omit some of those tricks by default as they might not work so well with the potential routings (and maybe Cubase and Live might behave the same with a little side-chaining between channels and busses ...).

• Information