Solutions for a small hardware synth collection

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

13 Feb 2024

Hey all! So I have a little collection of fun hardware synths (Deepmind 12D, Neutron, a few Volcas, TR-6S, MC-101, Mini and Microfreak, might try to get my hands on a Boutique or three). Atm my plan is to just have them kinda on display on a nice shelving unit and then just plug them in to sample as and when I need them. But long term, I'd like to have them all set up and ready. I have all the cables and stuff. But I'm trying to find some kind of multi-tier stand that can accommodate these kinds of desktop units. I don't want them on my desk. Tried that once and the sprawl/clutter was anxiety inducing. What are you all doing?

deeplink
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2024

Also tried to put things on my desk (and get a bigger desk) and it only increased my anxiety.

A bought a modular IKEA shelf and it works like a dream. Adjust the shelves and number of them to suit. It also helps hiding cables and easier to plug things in and out if you need to.
IMG-20240213-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20240213-WA0006.jpg (195.51 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

DaveyG

13 Feb 2024

I have a few glass monitor risers that are perfect for organising a bunch of small synths. They come in many sizes and heights and with clear or black glass. They are inexpensive and can look classy.

Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Jacobs ... B07951WVYP

I also have a few sloped laptop/tablet stands that allow you to angle the ones on the bottom tier(s) so you can use them in-situ rather than pulling them forwards. I added a USB-powered LED strip to illuminate the bottom row too.

chimp_spanner

13 Feb 2024

deeplink wrote:
13 Feb 2024
Also tried to put things on my desk (and get a bigger desk) and it only increased my anxiety.

A bought a modular IKEA shelf and it works like a dream. Adjust the shelves and number of them to suit. It also helps hiding cables and easier to plug things in and out if you need to.

IMG-20240213-WA0006.jpg
This is nice!! I like this a lot. Which range of shelving is that from Ikea, if you remember?

selig
RE Developer

13 Feb 2024

I have ordered a few things from this small husband/wife company and been very happy. They are 3D printed and good quality, and have reasonable prices and a wide range of options for all the ‘little toys’ in a typical setup these days:
https://www.3dwaves.net/products
Selig Audio, LLC

deeplink
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Feb 2024
deeplink wrote:
13 Feb 2024

IMG-20240213-WA0006.jpg
This is nice!! I like this a lot. Which range of shelving is that from Ikea, if you remember?
It was the "Ivar" range/system. Pretty cheap and easy to setup if you don't mind the pine wood look.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

PhillipOrdonez

13 Feb 2024

To add to the list of options to check out:

https://loci.life/

chimp_spanner

14 Feb 2024

Nice Phillip, they look cool too. For now I've just got a storage shelf that I can pull things off when I wanna use them one at a time. My workflow is *mainl* software but I think if I just have 2-4 channels hooked up on the desk and ready to patch in for sampling or jamming between a couple of devices I should be okay.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 21.48.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 21.48.51.jpeg (189.19 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

PhillipOrdonez

14 Feb 2024

Nice! Yeah for sure.

In my case, I got a second desk for gear instead. Thinking of getting a couple of laptop stands to better organize the cable mess 🤔

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Feb 2024
Hey all! So I have a little collection of fun hardware synths (Deepmind 12D, Neutron, a few Volcas, TR-6S, MC-101, Mini and Microfreak, might try to get my hands on a Boutique or three). Atm my plan is to just have them kinda on display on a nice shelving unit and then just plug them in to sample as and when I need them. But long term, I'd like to have them all set up and ready. I have all the cables and stuff. But I'm trying to find some kind of multi-tier stand that can accommodate these kinds of desktop units. I don't want them on my desk. Tried that once and the sprawl/clutter was anxiety inducing. What are you all doing?
I make all kinds of 3d designs! PM me your exact needs and I can design it for you and print it

joeyluck

14 Feb 2024

If it were me, I would put the keyboard controller beneath the desk on a stand or tray and then have more desk space for my synths and gadgets to be used and displayed. As a keyboard player, I just prefer that ergonomically. I don't think I'd enjoy the height or reach to play my main keyboard.

• Information