What SPL (decibel) meter to buy?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
RobC

27 Dec 2023

For example, there's a simple one, Voltcraft SL-10 for 25 bucks. Measures 30-130 dB; 31,5 Hz - 8 kHz. Seems pretty common, though a bit narrow.

Or is it not worth the money? Any better than a Samsung phone?

It will be mainly for setting healthy speaker levels. A pink noise to 60-80 dB.
Maybe some REW measurements later when I get a Behringer ECM8000.

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2023

the phone will probably do since you aren't looking for precise measure
- Certified Reason expert

RobC

28 Dec 2023

Bes wrote:
27 Dec 2023
Hi!

Thanks for the info!

It depends, since I will be getting a measuring microphone, and REW requires an accurate SPL. Not sure how reliable my phone is.
I read, too, that many phones are fairly accurate, but then some say, a dedicated device would do better.
I would use it when placing speakers, and acoustic treatment, too.

RobC

28 Dec 2023

Bes wrote:
27 Dec 2023
On second thought, seeing a few test videos, phones have become crazy accurate for our purposes. D :
So yeah, my phone's a keeper! : )

Thanks again!

Bes
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2023

i suppose that isn't surprising actually. perhaps if you discover a reputable application it will be worth posting back here too
- Certified Reason expert

RobC

28 Dec 2023

Bes wrote:
28 Dec 2023
i suppose that isn't surprising actually. perhaps if you discover a reputable application it will be worth posting back here too
Well, I tried random android apps, but a cough from 1 meter distance shouldn't be 110 dB SPL.
Nor should a quiet grumble be 80-90 dB SPL
Then again, my phone is covid era old, so maybe it's the modern models that nail it, and probably Apple phones.

I don't need a new phone though yet, so maybe a dedicated SPL meter will be cheaper for now.

But the apps I tried... x _ x I open a menu, close it, and then a full screen advertisement appears.

SynthGang

01 Jan 2024

As far as accuracy goes I don't think you'll find a better app than NIOSH SLM as it is the only app (as far as I know) that shows any compliance with SPL metering standards (especially relevant to workplace safety and live sound applications).

However, if you want fairly accurate readings then even with this app using the internal microphone is only going to get you so far as it is ideally used with an appropriate external microphone (but otherwise fine if you're just looking to compare relative sound levels).

I was fortunate enough to have access to an SPL meter calibrator (I use an iPhone 12 and my phone required a correction of +10.9dB for reference) so if you can get access to such a device you'll be 99.9% of the way there and be more than adequate for your purposes.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jan 2024

RobC wrote:
28 Dec 2023
Bes wrote:
27 Dec 2023
Hi!

Thanks for the info!

It depends, since I will be getting a measuring microphone, and REW requires an accurate SPL. Not sure how reliable my phone is.
I read, too, that many phones are fairly accurate, but then some say, a dedicated device would do better.
You don’t need to separately measure SPL to use REW. The test mic, even a cheep one from Behringer is plenty fine in my experience. The test mic will be far more accurate any any phone or hand held SPL meter anyway, so don’t worry about it.

I agree any phone app, especially the better ones, will be more than enough to gauge playback levels for speaker setup purposes. Though I have to say I’ve never measured SPL in the studio for my purposes, other than to find what the noise level was for my current studio out of curiosity.
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

29 Feb 2024

SynthGang wrote:
01 Jan 2024
As far as accuracy goes I don't think you'll find a better app than NIOSH SLM as it is the only app (as far as I know) that shows any compliance with SPL metering standards (especially relevant to workplace safety and live sound applications).

However, if you want fairly accurate readings then even with this app using the internal microphone is only going to get you so far as it is ideally used with an appropriate external microphone (but otherwise fine if you're just looking to compare relative sound levels).

I was fortunate enough to have access to an SPL meter calibrator (I use an iPhone 12 and my phone required a correction of +10.9dB for reference) so if you can get access to such a device you'll be 99.9% of the way there and be more than adequate for your purposes.
Thank you for all the information!

I might buy an SPL meter in the end, because it always comes in handy. Would be useful for measuring fairly accurate noise levels of all kinds, and not just the studio.

RobC

29 Feb 2024

selig wrote:
01 Jan 2024
RobC wrote:
28 Dec 2023

Hi!

Thanks for the info!

You don’t need to separately measure SPL to use REW. The test mic, even a cheep one from Behringer is plenty fine in my experience. The test mic will be far more accurate any any phone or hand held SPL meter anyway, so don’t worry about it.

I agree any phone app, especially the better ones, will be more than enough to gauge playback levels for speaker setup purposes. Though I have to say I’ve never measured SPL in the studio for my purposes, other than to find what the noise level was for my current studio out of curiosity.
When I once tried, REW got stuck on telling me to set my speakers to exactly 60 or 80 dB, while it played a pink noise sample.
I remember you recommended the Behringer one, and reviews are pretty good. How does it know when the volume level is at 80 dB for example?

I want to be careful not to listen too loud. Plus, I can do a trick to keep my IEMs at a safe level, too. SPL meter would "tell" me when a pink noise is at 60-80 dB on speakers; then I plug one of the IEMs in one ear, and set the loudness until it sounds even.

(Also, sorry about the late reply. Had a near-death experience, so that's why I temporarily ghosted. x D)

selig
RE Developer

01 Mar 2024

RobC wrote:
29 Feb 2024
selig wrote:
01 Jan 2024

When I once tried, REW got stuck on telling me to set my speakers to exactly 60 or 80 dB, while it played a pink noise sample.
I remember you recommended the Behringer one, and reviews are pretty good. How does it know when the volume level is at 80 dB for example?

I want to be careful not to listen too loud. Plus, I can do a trick to keep my IEMs at a safe level, too. SPL meter would "tell" me when a pink noise is at 60-80 dB on speakers; then I plug one of the IEMs in one ear, and set the loudness until it sounds even.

(Also, sorry about the late reply. Had a near-death experience, so that's why I temporarily ghosted. x D)
Dude, glad you are OK!

As for SPL, if they intended a specific SPL it would be stated what "weighting" to use. I can't think of a reason to calibrate SUPER accurately since it's all relative and we don't need to know the SPL to test a room response.
On FuzzMeasure there is no specific SPL required, and it's the same type of technology. The fact it can be 60 OR 80dBSPL (a huge difference) means it is all relative.

Again, glad you're back and hope all is now well in your world! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

01 Mar 2024

selig wrote:
01 Mar 2024
RobC wrote:
29 Feb 2024

Dude, glad you are OK!

As for SPL, if they intended a specific SPL it would be stated what "weighting" to use. I can't think of a reason to calibrate SUPER accurately since it's all relative and we don't need to know the SPL to test a room response.
On FuzzMeasure there is no specific SPL required, and it's the same type of technology. The fact it can be 60 OR 80dBSPL (a huge difference) means it is all relative.

Again, glad you're back and hope all is now well in your world! :)
Thank you very much for the well wishes! I'm doing fine by now, but yeah, it's not something I want to experience again. At least not until the inevitable one day. x D Not looking forward to that either.

In other words, I probably could even use just my Rode NT1, which is fairly flat; or even my little Samson Go Mic, since both are fairly flat (at least on paper) ~ of course, not measuring microphone category, but should do the trick to get a vague idea, until I order that one by Behringer.

That said, gotta continue the studio room renovation tomorrow. Mostly paint job, installing glass in windows, so the tough work is done.

• Information