Looking for DC coupled audio interface...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
gkillmaster

07 Dec 2023

I'm kinda new to the whole CV modulation thing, but since my audio interface has died, I need to get a new one and was thinking it would be a good time to get a DC coupled version. So I have 2 questions:

Which of these would be best for going from Reason players to my hardware CV devices?
1) Universal Audio Volt 4 - $230
2) PreSonus Studio 26c - $130
3) Arturia MiniFuse 4 - $200

Would I actually be able to accomplish what I hope to accomplish which is sending CV from Reason players out from my iMac to my CV/gate controllable synths, like the Makenoise 0-Coast?

Thanks for help on this!

Greg

Jackjackdaw

07 Dec 2023

Mark of the unicorn (MOTU) do dc coupled interfaces.

DaveyG

07 Dec 2023

I've no idea whether Reason can send useful CV via a DC-coupled interface but be sure to check the output voltage range on the interface. It's likely to be good enough for gates and triggers but maybe not enough for a full note CV range. Just to complicate matters further, the input range on modular stuff and analogue synths is far from standard. Some are -5V to +5V, some are 0v to +5V, others are 0V to +8V. There are probably some other variants!

All part of the fun and exploration of modular.

danc

07 Dec 2023

You know - there is an alternative way....

Arturia KeyStep Pro
From the manual ....

10.6.4.CV/Gate Signals: DAW Configuration

The KeyStep Pro can be used as a MIDI to CV converter. Send note-related data from the MIDI tracks of your DAW to the KeyStep Pro via USB or MIDI In. If the MIDI channels match (that is, if they are set to 1, 2, 3 or 4), the MIDI data will appear in analog form as control voltages at the CV/Gate outputs of Voices 1 to 4.

There are two things to keep in mind when you try this:

• All CV/Gate jacks are monophonic, so if the selected MIDI track on the DAW contains polyphonic data, playback could be extremely unpredictable. It's best to send only one note at a time.

• CV/Gate jacks can send only basic CV signals: Pitch, Velocity/Aftertouch and Gate open/closed(equivalent to MIDI Note ON/OFF).The KeyStep Pro encoders aren't able to control synthesizer parameters through the CV/Gate output jacks. You can, however, control external synths with MIDI over USB or via MIDI Out 1and/or Out2. The encoders send CC# messages as you turn them. What is more, in Control mode every sequencer can send the CC# messages stored in its tracks.

Or how about...

The ASM Hydrasynth keyboard and desktop have CV/Gate outs - you will probably be able to control these via Midi CC from your DAW.

Both of these ways you can deal with the variable voltage variants.
Check my Soundcloud:

gkillmaster

07 Dec 2023

danc wrote:
07 Dec 2023

Arturia KeyStep Pro
From the manual ....

10.6.4.CV/Gate Signals: DAW Configuration

The KeyStep Pro can be used as a MIDI to CV converter. Send note-related data from the MIDI tracks of your DAW to the KeyStep Pro via USB or MIDI In. If the MIDI channels match (that is, if they are set to 1, 2, 3 or 4), the MIDI data will appear in analog form as control voltages at the CV/Gate outputs of Voices 1 to 4.

There are two things to keep in mind when you try this:

• All CV/Gate jacks are monophonic, so if the selected MIDI track on the DAW contains polyphonic data, playback could be extremely unpredictable. It's best to send only one note at a time.

• CV/Gate jacks can send only basic CV signals: Pitch, Velocity/Aftertouch and Gate open/closed(equivalent to MIDI Note ON/OFF).The KeyStep Pro encoders aren't able to control synthesizer parameters through the CV/Gate output jacks. You can, however, control external synths with MIDI over USB or via MIDI Out 1and/or Out2. The encoders send CC# messages as you turn them. What is more, in Control mode every sequencer can send the CC# messages stored in its tracks.

Or how about...

The ASM Hydrasynth keyboard and desktop have CV/Gate outs - you will probably be able to control these via Midi CC from your DAW.

Both of these ways you can deal with the variable voltage variants.
Thanks for this.

gkillmaster

07 Dec 2023

Wow, great to know about in case I get one... Much appreciated.

selig
RE Developer

08 Dec 2023

danc wrote:
07 Dec 2023

Arturia KeyStep Pro
From the manual ....

Or how about...

I have both of these, plus my SL mkIII does two channels of conversion which is the main way I get MIDI to CV.

As long as the main thing you want to do is play instruments or typical LFO/Envelope control of the modular from Reason, these are all great solutions. The only limit is no audio rate modulation, which for me has never been a problem because most Reason CV devices don’t do audio rate either.

The Keystep Pro would be the best value, as it can not only convert up to four channels of MIDI to monophonic note/gate/cv data but also provide 8 CV outs for drum triggers. All three also transmit CV clock signals, Keystep also receives clock and provides a “reset” CV for sequencers.

You can also look into MIDI to CV modules or stand alone converters, many in the $1-200 range.

Bottom line, the main thing to determine is if you need avanced audio rate control and need it bi-directionally (in which case you need a DC coupled interface or Expert Sleepers type solution), or if all you need is note/gate/cv control from your DAW to Eurorack look at a controller like mentioned above or a stand alone or EuroRack MIDI to CV converter.

Bottom line: The interface or Silent Way (Expert Sleepers) solution will require additional software to calibrate the Note signal (https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ontroller/) and manual patching to audio I/O. The MIDI solution will be simpler via the MIDI Output instrument but can’t support audio rate modulation or bi-directional control (or may have limited bi-directional control). Choose wisely… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

13 Dec 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
07 Dec 2023
I'm kinda new to the whole CV modulation thing, but since my audio interface has died, I need to get a new one and was thinking it would be a good time to get a DC coupled version. So I have 2 questions:

Which of these would be best for going from Reason players to my hardware CV devices?
1) Universal Audio Volt 4 - $230
2) PreSonus Studio 26c - $130
3) Arturia MiniFuse 4 - $200

Would I actually be able to accomplish what I hope to accomplish which is sending CV from Reason players out from my iMac to my CV/gate controllable synths, like the Makenoise 0-Coast?

Thanks for help on this!

Greg
the presonus 1824c. It is DC-coupled. you will need a MIDI to CV Rack Extention out of Reason. Robotic Beans has a good one. CV-O is the output. CV-I in the input of you want to bring signals in. I never bring them in, but the output is fun and makes timing things in your euro rack easy. The Crave is also a cheap way you can use the assignable out to output straight from reason. It can also do MIDI to CV Gate and V/Oct as well as velocity. Velocity can be used to control anything in CV and it is a cheap way to start converting to your rack. I also use the MAFD for cv out. I have a Keystep pro as well but it seems to only convert when in record mode. ( i could be doing it wrong, but that disappointed me)

gkillmaster

14 Dec 2023

mimidancer wrote:
13 Dec 2023

the presonus 1824c. It is DC-coupled. you will need a MIDI to CV Rack Extention out of Reason. Robotic Beans has a good one. CV-O is the output. CV-I in the input of you want to bring signals in. I never bring them in, but the output is fun and makes timing things in your euro rack easy. The Crave is also a cheap way you can use the assignable out to output straight from reason. It can also do MIDI to CV Gate and V/Oct as well as velocity. Velocity can be used to control anything in CV and it is a cheap way to start converting to your rack. I also use the MAFD for cv out. I have a Keystep pro as well but it seems to only convert when in record mode. ( i could be doing it wrong, but that disappointed me)
Thanks for this information! What is MAFD?

gkillmaster

14 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
08 Dec 2023

I have both of these, plus my SL mkIII does two channels of conversion which is the main way I get MIDI to CV.

As long as the main thing you want to do is play instruments or typical LFO/Envelope control of the modular from Reason, these are all great solutions. The only limit is no audio rate modulation, which for me has never been a problem because most Reason CV devices don’t do audio rate either.

The Keystep Pro would be the best value, as it can not only convert up to four channels of MIDI to monophonic note/gate/cv data but also provide 8 CV outs for drum triggers. All three also transmit CV clock signals, Keystep also receives clock and provides a “reset” CV for sequencers.

You can also look into MIDI to CV modules or stand alone converters, many in the $1-200 range.

Bottom line, the main thing to determine is if you need avanced audio rate control and need it bi-directionally (in which case you need a DC coupled interface or Expert Sleepers type solution), or if all you need is note/gate/cv control from your DAW to Eurorack look at a controller like mentioned above or a stand alone or EuroRack MIDI to CV converter.

Bottom line: The interface or Silent Way (Expert Sleepers) solution will require additional software to calibrate the Note signal (https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ontroller/) and manual patching to audio I/O. The MIDI solution will be simpler via the MIDI Output instrument but can’t support audio rate modulation or bi-directional control (or may have limited bi-directional control). Choose wisely… ;)
Thanks for the great info! Lots to understand!

mimidancer

17 Dec 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
14 Dec 2023
mimidancer wrote:
13 Dec 2023

Thanks for this information! What is MAFD?
MAFD (MIDI Adapter For DFAM) is a 2 HP mod that allows for midi control of DFAM. https://sonoclast.com/products/mafd_2hp/

mimidancer

17 Dec 2023

selig wrote:
08 Dec 2023
danc wrote:
07 Dec 2023

Arturia KeyStep Pro
From the manual ....

Or how about...

you can just go through you beatstep pro? I have to have mine in record mode for it to work. what am I doing wrong?

• Information