USB mic aggregate - can I set different input & output at the same time?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
vrbi

19 Nov 2023

hello,

I know now Reason at the time cannot use more than one input/output (which is stupid) - when I want to use microphone to record vocals - own two USB mics wich I can put through aggregate device in AudioMIDI setup - but then there's no output for monitoring, you can't sing to the song.

my setup is macbook in clamshell mode feeding to Dell monitor (via usbC ) for display and audio - i.e. in clamshell mode you can't use built-in macbook microphone (which is also unwanted) and built-in speakers: problem is just Reason always offers them as alternative for setting up audio I/O

there is an option to use display monitor with macbook microphone (which won't work in clamshell mode) - so there should also be option to use with USB mic, I guess.

Reason12 audio outputs.png
Reason12 audio outputs.png (37.96 KiB) Viewed 827 times

in the picture A - number 1) is my Dell display - when selected, audio output goes through the monitor, I can hear my song but there's no microphone input working
number 2) is aggreagate device for my Superlux microphone (or Auna) which feeds in audio to Reason but there's no audio output to my speakers - even when I add dell display to aggregate device for outputs with my microphone (that's picture B - AudioMIDI setup)

(and the last item on the menu is Supoerlux E205U microphone itself - which doesn't work and won't record audio, only as aggreagate device)

this way I am forced to bounce the song to wav and record the vocals in garageband/logic where you can have separate USB microphone input active and then import it back to reason, which is like scratching your ear with wrong hand over your head.
is there anyway to make this work or am I forced to buy XLR microphone to use with my behringer audio interface?
(that's more expenses for a single task to be solved)

Superlux mikrofon AudioMIDI setup agregat.png
Superlux mikrofon AudioMIDI setup agregat.png (51.69 KiB) Viewed 827 times

stillifegaijin

19 Nov 2023

You need to open the Audio Midi Setup Utility for your computer and create a new aggregate device that contains all the input and output devices you wish to use together. It will look very much like the screen shot of GarageBand you have posted. Organize it however you'd like but maybe make the default outputs you plan to use the top/first two outputs. Then once you create that and name it, when you return to reason that new aggregate device will show up in you audio device options. Unfortunately, within reason you will only see numbers inputs and outputs. You will not see the names of the individual devices and cannot assign names (yet? We all hope this feature is added soon) so you'll need to remember what number the mic input is and choose that on your audio track input.

I hope that helps.

vrbi

20 Nov 2023

stillifegaijin wrote:
19 Nov 2023
You need to open the Audio Midi Setup Utility for your computer and create a new aggregate device that contains all the input and output devices you wish to use together. It will look very much like the screen shot of GarageBand you have posted.
thank you for the help, but that's exactly Audio Midi setup utility on the picture - not garageband :D
it's a screenshot of having the aggregate device already created - but not working
well, changing the order (having output first before microphone) did really help and it works now! thank you a lot :)) you just saved me a few bucks for a new XLR mic - but mainly my sanity. don't know why this still is an issue in such A-class DAW as Reason 12 in 2023.

stillifegaijin

20 Nov 2023

Ah, I thought that might be the case but I also thought that maybe GarageBand just had a very similar input/output interface since it's Apple! LOL. But, glad that swapping the output to the top worked. The other way would have worked also but you would have had to manually swap the output cables on the back of the rack to send your main out through outputs 5-6 (I think that's right based on your screen shot)

Anyway, good luck recording!

• Information