Custom Studio Cables

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Dionysus

06 Nov 2023

Just about finished setting up my home studio, and need some longer speaker cables for active/powered monitors

The run will be approx. 5 m/16 ft for each side.

Terminations will be TRS>XLR, wired as a balanced configuration.

Getting some mixed signals from a couple of retailers on which bulk cable to use, so some extra feedback would be appreciated.

I believe the cable I need is 2-core + braided shield,

and am looking at the Mogami W2549. It's the first cable shown on the following page

https://www.mogamicable.com/category/bu ... _balanced/

Scrolling further down that page to look at the diagram though, and it appears to show 2x multicore strands and 2x solidcore strands.

My preference is Mogami as they have a reputation, and more importantly, cable sleeves in the color I would prefer.

pushedbutton

06 Nov 2023

I like Van Damme cables personally.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Dionysus

09 Nov 2023

pushedbutton wrote:
06 Nov 2023
I like Van Damme cables personally.
Thanks. I'm not so much looking for cable brand recommendations, rather the type of cable. My interest in Mogami is mostly because of the color range of the outer sleeve, since I have a lot going on, and am in the middle of extensive cable management. Different colors help when I need to trace lines to components.

What have you used for balanced speaker lines, is it 2x conductors + braided sheath ? Limited as my knowledge is, I'm 90% certain that this is the type of cable configuration to suit my requirements. The braid being ground, and the two conductors transmitting identical, inverted signals.

But then I see articles about XLR/TRS building, that suggests three, even four (quad) conductors.

SIDE RANT sorry, but I need to get this out of my system :lol:

Shaking my head over a terrible response I got from an online retailer. A store that specifically sells audio cables only, including bulk, unterminated runs by the meter, and over 100 SKU's for the category. A store that proclaims "High Quality Audio Cable Experts"

Me:

Hello, I'm enquiring about the following stock item (link to Mogami w2549). Is this cable appropriate for a balanced line between my audio interface (TRS) & active monitors (XLR)? If you have the green cable in stock, I would like to order 11 metres.

Them:

Hi, Sorry I dont know the answer to your questions. Best is to find a Mogami factory terminated cable that is what you are after and then find out what cable its made from - then come back to us looking for that cable

Not so sure they deserve the description of "Cable Experts". :thumbs_down: :thumbs_down: And while it's a pretty good suggestion, they should be the ones to look into that, as part of general sales/customer service procedure.

Moving on, I have since looked at assembled Mogami cables (on the same retailers website, right!).

The 15ft models use quad-conductor cable, specifically Mogami W2921 https://mogamicable.com/category/bulk/s ... iguration/
The assembled cable costs around $180 EACH - ouch.
The off-spool price for that same cable (no plugs) is $14 per meter - ouch

Just about ready to push forward and just buy the 2-conductor + braid cable, for $3 per meter, as I would like to get the studio setup sorted out and finalized.

pushedbutton

15 Nov 2023

Sounds like you've made up your mind and the 10 Van Damme Colours aren't to your liking.
I'm glad you could get whatever it was you were bothered about off your chest but I'm a bit confused about what information you're actually seeking here.
If you're using a balanced configuration you'll need 3 cores. This is commonly referred to as microphone cable. Braided is nice. I think the reason you didn't get a response from the cable builder that you'd hoped for is because you're not in the market for precision tools, they're cables. You can buy into all the gibberish in the spec sheets or just buy some nice, functional cables.
Sorry my recommendations didn't echo your assumptions.
Regardless, good luck with your purchase.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

selig
RE Developer

16 Nov 2023

Quad core (Star Quad) is preferred for microphone cables due to its magnetic interference blocking capabilities. This may be less of an issue with line level cables (you're talking about line levels, not speaker levels, since the cables are going to powered monitors, right?).
Personally speaking, I'm aware of Mogami's reputation for being easy to work with, making it a great choice when building your own cables. I'd personally just get some bulk W2534 because you can make additional cables as needed.
https://mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Here's a good link explaining star quad cable qualities: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/applic ... zOEALw_wcB

[EDIT: your first link is microphone cable, the second if for speaker cables. TOTALLY different things… I'd personally just go with any decent home studio brand unless you'll be plugging/unplugging and walking on the cables daily (where a stronger cable makes sense). If you want Mogami, get something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _Male.html
Otherwise any quad core cable will be just fine, such as these from Hosa:
Selig Audio, LLC

Dionysus

18 Nov 2023

selig wrote:
16 Nov 2023
Here's a good link explaining star quad cable qualities: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/applic ... zOEALw_wcB
Thanks berry much. Article explains the advantage of quad over twin. Enjoyed learning about induced voltage mismatch theory.

One of the monitor lines is running right alongside other cables, in a cable management duct. 2xHDMI/DP, 1 x AC@50Hz, 1xUSB for about 4 metres, then it passes across 2xpowerbricks for my screens, and 1 x power adaptor board. Any, some or all of those might cause interference. Quad core is a more sensible consideration.

• Information