M1 Mac: Jump from Monterey to Ventura, or is Sonoma safe yet?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
DJMaytag

06 Oct 2023

I'm on a 2022 M1 Mac Studio, running Monterey just fine (and just recently updated the last key plugin that wasn't Apple Silicon native). My connected hardware already had updated to the latest drivers, so hardware compatibility is a total non-issue.

I have a MacBook Pro that I've left as a legacy machine, to access old files if needed. This Mac Studio hasn't really done anything "new" that would cause me to lose plugins like updating my MBP to Catalina or beyond would cause. In that event, would it be likely to be OK to make the upgrade to at least Ventura? Sonoma is too new, so I'm not ready to make that leap yet, unless someone has done some more extensive testing to know Reason has caused issues with macOS 14?

WWYD?

stillifegaijin

06 Oct 2023

I've been running Ventura on my Mac Studio with Reason 12 and a ton of plugins. It works great aside from the non-Apple Native plugins that you seem to have eradicated already. I still have some from older sessions and if I load Reason in Rosetta mode even those work fine. I am still waiting to upgrade my main computer to Sonoma. Will probably get brave and do it soon in-between major mixing projects.

I do have Sonoma on my M1 MacBook Pro. Reason and the very few VST that I have on that machine for live performance also work great. But my Studio has far more VSTs and those are my concern on the main computer.

So...if you aren't worried about any VSTs that might give you issues, and there really shouldn't be many, then Sonoma is completely safe and compatible for Reason.

QVprod

06 Oct 2023

Bought a M2 Mac Studio. It came with Ventura. Everything works fine. RS put out a statement that Reason is compatible with Sonoma. You’d just have to make sure everything else you use also is.

DJMaytag

06 Oct 2023

Made the jump to Ventura. So far so good. Audio drivers were already up to date and ready to go, and Reason fired up just fine.

• Information