speaker stand recommendations?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Last Alternative

08 Jul 2023

Yo guys I just upgraded monitors from Yamaha HS5 to HS8. SHOCKING size difference! lol

Does anyone here have the 8s? And recommend the right stand to support them? I ordered the Gator stands with the triangle base but they aren’t big enough as far as the platform size and reviews say they sway and wobble which ain’t gonna cut it.

-Jace
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

miyaru

09 Jul 2023

You want to place them on the ground? I have mine on the desktop on ISO Acoustics, very good isolation and projection, but expensive......

I do not have HS8's, but Presonus Eris E8 Mk1's
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

stillifegaijin

09 Jul 2023

Those Gator stands are the worst. I have these - https://zaorstudiofurniture.com/product/croce-stand-42/

Zaor are very nice and very sturdy but not very cheap.

selig
RE Developer

10 Jul 2023

I used to have something like the Gator triangle stands but better quality. I used a couple of concrete pavers (12”x12” square, 1” thick) as additional mass and to raise the speakers 2”. These days I have my main monitors on the stands from Output that match my desk. https://www.de-fi.com/stands

Not the cheapest (but $200 cheaper than the Zaors), but I needed something fairly sturdy for my big JBLs. Getting stands that are height adjustable is a plus (no more risers needed!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Last Alternative

10 Jul 2023

Sweetwater is really good so far. They’re letting me exchange for this new model:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ands-black
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

dioxide

10 Jul 2023

I've got HS80s on some gorilla stands and although the stands are strong enough, they wobble around as the pole is in the centre.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/23 ... DAC95B2422

So I'm interested in what people suggest here. I think the pole-in-the-centre style design doesn't really work for this size of monitor, it needs to have several legs or more than one point of support.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

11 Jul 2023

ISO-L8Rs here. So damn good. Still need room correction (IK ARC for instance, or even Room EQ Wizard can help) for flatter response, but yeah Isoacoustics do the job. Streaky mentions the little puck ones they do too now

Popey
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2023

I have the iso pucks and they are great, however I only have 5"mackies.

Not sure if they are suitable for 8" monitors so did not mention these. I seem to recall you could check what you needed on their website using monitor dimensions etc.

Last Alternative

12 Jul 2023

Great advices so far!

Side question: my home studio room is 12’x9’ and obviously I’m positioned in the length of the room but.. is there a chart on speaker triangle distance per room size that anyone knows of? I don’t want to be too close or far and mess up the sweet spot or proper stereo field. This is my first time ever building a legit home studio and I need to get it right the first time.

challism

12 Jul 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
08 Jul 2023
Yo guys I just upgraded monitors from Yamaha HS5 to HS8. SHOCKING size difference! lol

Does anyone here have the 8s? And recommend the right stand to support them? I ordered the Gator stands with the triangle base but they aren’t big enough as far as the platform size and reviews say they sway and wobble which ain’t gonna cut it.

-Jace
I think the best choice is pretty obvious.
Screenshot 2023-07-13 090013.png
Screenshot 2023-07-13 090013.png (161.41 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

deigm

24 Jul 2023

If your looking for desktop stands, I use these:
https://soundrisepro.com/pages/hs8

Rising Night Wave

24 Jul 2023

deigm wrote:
24 Jul 2023
If your looking for desktop stands, I use these:
https://soundrisepro.com/pages/hs8
these looks nice :puf_smile:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
12 Jul 2023
Great advices so far!

Side question: my home studio room is 12’x9’ and obviously I’m positioned in the length of the room but.. is there a chart on speaker triangle distance per room size that anyone knows of? I don’t want to be too close or far and mess up the sweet spot or proper stereo field. This is my first time ever building a legit home studio and I need to get it right the first time.
I don't know of a standard, but here's what to look for. If they are too close the low end can build up and there is difficulty in hearing panning properly. Also it will require you to sit closer than you may feel comfortable if you're sticking to sitting just inside an equilateral triangle.
OTOH, if the speakers are too far apart the phantom center image may break down and not be as clear.
I typically see between 3-4 feet for smaller consoles or desks like my current setup, were the two smaller speaker are stacked and 3' apart but the "mains" are spread 4'. This means I need to slide my chair back a bit when switching, but if you only have one pair this will not be a problem.
As a side note, I prefer wider than narrower if given the choice, as it becomes more like a giant pair of head phones! ;)

So basically measure how far back you will be sitting based on your desk and start with the speakers at that width, assuming you have all possible locations available. Are there any obstructions that keep you from putting your stands anywhere you want (like the desk or a wall or other furniture)?
Selig Audio, LLC

DaveyG

25 Jul 2023

Mine are 4 foot apart, set by a completely scientific method - the width of my two pc screens! It means I mostly sit inside the perfect equilateral triangle but it's very easy to slide the chair back a tad for critical listening. The width is less critical than the height and the stuff that surrounds the speakers.

Incidentally those Soundrise Pro stands may look good but I'd expect them to bounce a little, especially with heavy speakers on them. Not what you want at all.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
25 Jul 2023
Incidentally those Soundrise Pro stands may look good but I'd expect them to bounce a little, especially with heavy speakers on them. Not what you want at all.
Wow, the Soundrise stands can cost MORE than the IsoAcoustics. I’d go for the IsoAcoustics hands down over those for a desk stand (currently using the IsoAcoustics on my second pair, with the mains on the heavy duty stands from Output).
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

25 Jul 2023

I went with a pair of these:
to mount my Rokit 6s on my desk. Having them on the desktop was a no go as there just wasn't the width (and the back shelf was already full of computer displays. Mounting them on these stands put them at ear level and returned the desk space. I don't monitor at high levels (and not too worried about stereo field as I do much of that on headphones) but I find them indispensable for setting levels.

I should note that they are very sturdy, no movement in the stems at all. Very solid connection.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

sublunar

28 Jul 2023

I'm using milkcrates that I absconded with from a previous job.

Free/cheap and does the trick. I mean, why spend money on something like this?

selig
RE Developer

28 Jul 2023

sublunar wrote:
28 Jul 2023

These should work great, though I’d probably zip tie them together just to be safe - and possibly add some mass like square concrete pavers on top (also helpful for fine tuning height). I can’t imagine there would be an problems with such a setup, and talk about saving $$$!!!
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

29 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
28 Jul 2023
sublunar wrote:
28 Jul 2023

These should work great, though I’d probably zip tie them together just to be safe - and possibly add some mass like square concrete pavers on top (also helpful for fine tuning height). I can’t imagine there would be an problems with such a setup, and talk about saving $$$!!!
Great ideas!
Thinking of vibration isolation layers:
I had the idea years ago of using that lightweight plastic cardboard they make house "For Sale" signs, temporary floor protection, etc out of - the kind where the two flat surfaces are joined by regular perpendicular ribs, creating little square-section tunnels. My thinking was that if you placed it between a vibrating object and an object you didn't want vibrating, it would isolate vibration movement across the line of the ribs, since they can deform from side to side mechanically, square-to-rhombus. So you just need two layers, at right angles to each other, and you have vibration isolation in two axis. At the time I was thinking of isolating valve guitar amp heads from speaker cabinets, and I never tested it. It's probably not applicable here but the idea might be fun to think about!

deigm

08 Aug 2023

DaveyG wrote:
25 Jul 2023

They do bounce around a little if I bump my desk or something, but I see no movement in normal use.
Maybe it's sudo-science but the flex is supposedly what absorbs the vibrations, rather than using foam or rubber for that purpose.

deigm

08 Aug 2023

I also have a pair of these which I feel are a good cheap option:
https://www.avecorp.com.au/product/ave- ... nitor-pad/

They're basically just a slab of foam with a cushioned sheet of steel on top. Something like $100AUD for a pair.

Bes
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2023

you can get vibration pads from the hardware store for less than 10$
besser blocks are 3$ each
- Certified Reason expert

• Information