Any experiences with soundbars?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
RobC

10 Jun 2023

I'm considering buying a soundbar for this 4k LG TV. One with a sub box, so 2.1 system.

Knowing how companies are, I'm looking at likewise LG branded soundbars, so that they are compatible and offer as many features as possible.
Then, there's a magic remote thing, with some microphone in it, that supposedly works together with the system and automatically calibrates it all with some sort of AI.

Now, I expect automatic balancing, room EQ, and a little trickery, but I don't have huge expectations, just to get a decent sound for entertainment purposes. Of course, I may casually play around with Reason on it, when just composing and alike. Plus it would be good to test music, how it would sound on consumer devices.

To get to the point, I read that they may be not be as good as separate speakers, due to obvious positioning limitations; but in their price range, they seem to be much better than what speaker systems I could get otherwise. Most 2.1 systems for 150-200 EUR are rather lacking. And plain stereo speakers don't have properly deep woofers.
It's important for me to have a full range system. Well, as full as it gets. Usually 35 Hz - 20 kHz. Mostly for movies and games.

Reviews are very positive, but I wonder: are they really that good? Or rather, are they any good, or would it be a disappointment? I don't want to make a bad buy, obviously. : )

crimsonwarlock

11 Jun 2023

Going from your expectations, I think it's going to be a disappointment for you.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

11 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Jun 2023
Going from your expectations, I think it's going to be a disappointment for you.
Where would it fail?

crimsonwarlock

11 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
11 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Jun 2023
Where would it fail?
Going from your other posts here on the forum, you are not the stereotypical consumer that these things are aimed at. From my perspective, a speaker set with a separate subwoofer will have a better range, basically because of the small size speakers that are in these bars. Also, overly positive reviews reek of buyer's remorse and confirmation bias.

But what do I know? The only certainty I have is that I'm never going to buy a soundbar :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

11 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Jun 2023
RobC wrote:
11 Jun 2023

Where would it fail?
Going from your other posts here on the forum, you are not the stereotypical consumer that these things are aimed at. From my perspective, a speaker set with a separate subwoofer will have a better range, basically because of the small size speakers that are in these bars. Also, overly positive reviews reek of buyer's remorse and confirmation bias.

But what do I know? The only certainty I have is that I'm never going to buy a soundbar :puf_wink:
Sorry, I meant the LG SN4. It's a Soundbar + separate sub woofer. So at least that's good news.

I don't like the soundbar part either - nothing beats separate speakers for that, too, but in this price range, currently there's no better option available, that would be decent quality.

Murf
RE Developer

11 Jun 2023

I have the Sonos Arc Bar, the sub and two rear sonos 1.
It is not as good as the pricetag should justify, but it does the job.

RobC

11 Jun 2023

Murf wrote:
11 Jun 2023
This would cost about 5% of the price of that, so might be ever so slightly lesser quality. x D

That said, the LG TV's manual says that it really does optimize the sound with the help of a Magic Remote, so that might give something somewhat decent, even for this price range.

Murf
RE Developer

11 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
11 Jun 2023
Murf wrote:
11 Jun 2023
This would cost about 5% of the price of that, so might be ever so slightly lesser quality. x D

That said, the LG TV's manual says that it really does optimize the sound with the help of a Magic Remote, so that might give something somewhat decent, even for this price range.
Oh yes they are certainly not cheap (Sonos)

miyaru

13 Jun 2023

Hi there Rob,

I get your point. For daily TV use, I have a Samsung Soundbar and Subwoofer system. I have a Samsung 55 inch 3d 4K TV. When I watch a good movie or music broadcast and of course when I use my Blu-ray player - I connect to my hybrid digital NAD 3045D amp by Optical cable from my TV.

I have Dali Suite 2.8 floorstanding speakers attached to the NAD.

The amp has HDMI ARC in too, but using an Optical cable takes less space for me, cable bundle wise.

I have choosen the Samsung Soundbar system for convenience and it works perfect with the TV.

As long as you do not expect Hi Fi sound from it, but just an improvement of the standard sound of your TV, you cannot go wrong.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

selig
RE Developer

13 Jun 2023

Murf wrote:
11 Jun 2023
I have exactly the same setup, plus the Port for a turntable (which was one 'must have' feature that led us to Sonos.

It was an upgrade from the previous sound bar from Vizio, which was still decent so we moved it to the bedroom.

It's a 'system', and IMO will never be as high quality as spec-ing the system out yourself. I just got tired of trying to find a decent preamp so I could use my own powered speakers – all I could find was receivers with built in power amps. Plus there really wasn't room for a full "living room Hi Fi" system with our current setup, so the only system I could find that did all the things we wanted was Sonos.
Oh yea, we also added a few portable speakers so the music can play outside. Again, not "studio quality" by any means but quite nice for the size.

I would add that MUCH music listening is likely being done on systems like this (It's about 50/50 music/TV for us), so it's good to have one around to check mixes on. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

14 Jun 2023

I've got some p.o.s. LG soundbar that's probably about 7 years old now. It has never sounded great. And it's only gotten worse over the years. I have had the "subwoofer" unplugged for years because it sounds awful.. really awful; the frequency range and volume seem way out of whack. For example, when there is dialogue it just booms and annoys the sh*t out of me. So I just unplugged the thing. I think soundbars suck. I really miss the days of having a surround sound receiver with real power and real speakers.

Last time I was in the US, I brought back a pair of really nice Klipsch surround speakers, but I am having trouble finding a decent amp to hook them to in Vietnam (and I'm not even sure that my "smart" LG TV would even hook up to a traditional receiver/amp, I don't see that it has RCA type jacks). I've also got a pair of high end Klipsch towers waiting for me in the US, but they are just a tad too big for airplane checked luggage. Damn!
selig wrote:
13 Jun 2023
I would add that MUCH music listening is likely being done on systems like this (It's about 50/50 music/TV for us), so it's good to have one around to check mixes on. ;)
I would add that most music listened to by the younger generation is being listened to from a smart phone speaker. Damn shame. Get off my grass, you rotten kids!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

RobC

14 Jun 2023

miyaru wrote:
13 Jun 2023
Hi there Rob,

I get your point. For daily TV use, I have a Samsung Soundbar and Subwoofer system. I have a Samsung 55 inch 3d 4K TV. When I watch a good movie or music broadcast and of course when I use my Blu-ray player - I connect to my hybrid digital NAD 3045D amp by Optical cable from my TV.

I have Dali Suite 2.8 floorstanding speakers attached to the NAD.

The amp has HDMI ARC in too, but using an Optical cable takes less space for me, cable bundle wise.

I have choosen the Samsung Soundbar system for convenience and it works perfect with the TV.

As long as you do not expect Hi Fi sound from it, but just an improvement of the standard sound of your TV, you cannot go wrong.......
Hi!

Well, I only expect consumer-Hi-Fi, but yeah, something that has a somewhat full range, compared to the TV speaker.

I only have 1 HDMI ARC cable, and I hope I can mess around with both the TV's speaker, AND the soundbar system separately (via PC and Asio4All) as a bonus. Optical cable, I have, too. Then there are my 2 additional interfaces, so my old self-built speakers, and crappy noisy amplifier can serve as rear speakers. Just as some fun bonus experimenting.

RobC

14 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
13 Jun 2023
Murf wrote:
11 Jun 2023
I have exactly the same setup, plus the Port for a turntable (which was one 'must have' feature that led us to Sonos.

It was an upgrade from the previous sound bar from Vizio, which was still decent so we moved it to the bedroom.

It's a 'system', and IMO will never be as high quality as spec-ing the system out yourself. I just got tired of trying to find a decent preamp so I could use my own powered speakers – all I could find was receivers with built in power amps. Plus there really wasn't room for a full "living room Hi Fi" system with our current setup, so the only system I could find that did all the things we wanted was Sonos.
Oh yea, we also added a few portable speakers so the music can play outside. Again, not "studio quality" by any means but quite nice for the size.

Ah yes, I also had similar trouble with finding elements for building my own system.

Of course, again, you guys can spend an extra digit, where the first one is even trippled. x D

RobC

14 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
14 Jun 2023
I've got some p.o.s. LG soundbar that's probably about 7 years old now. It has never sounded great. And it's only gotten worse over the years. I have had the "subwoofer" unplugged for years because it sounds awful.. really awful; the frequency range and volume seem way out of whack. For example, when there is dialogue it just booms and annoys the sh*t out of me. So I just unplugged the thing. I think soundbars suck. I really miss the days of having a surround sound receiver with real power and real speakers.

Last time I was in the US, I brought back a pair of really nice Klipsch surround speakers, but I am having trouble finding a decent amp to hook them to in Vietnam (and I'm not even sure that my "smart" LG TV would even hook up to a traditional receiver/amp, I don't see that it has RCA type jacks). I've also got a pair of high end Klipsch towers waiting for me in the US, but they are just a tad too big for airplane checked luggage. Damn!
selig wrote:
13 Jun 2023
I would add that most music listened to by the younger generation is being listened to from a smart phone speaker. Damn shame. Get off my grass, you rotten kids!
My TV and the soundbar and woofer system sre somewhat recent models, so they make better use of AI, that's why I'm curious what it can do. The TV was impressive so far. But I, too am a bit affraid of what the soundbar system will be like. The convenience would be nice though, where I just turn on the TV, and it works.

And yes, my LG TV only has optical out and one of the ARC or what~ type of HDMI.
Plus I need to buy a Magic Remote separately. But again, gotta see, what all those AI's will be capable of together. (I'm excited and scared. x D)

challism

14 Jun 2023

Just remember the warnings of Benjamin Franklin, "Those who give up good high fidelity for convenience will end up with neither."
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

RobC

14 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
14 Jun 2023
Just remember the warnings of Benjamin Franklin, "Those who give up good high fidelity for convenience will end up with neither."
That's not the case here. I can't avoid the convenience that purpose-built systems come with.

If it's total crap, I can just bring it back, and buy something else.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
14 Jun 2023
I only have 1 HDMI ARC cable, and I hope I can mess around with both the TV's speaker, AND the soundbar system separately (via PC and Asio4All) as a bonus. Optical cable, I have, too. Then there are my 2 additional interfaces, so my old self-built speakers, and crappy noisy amplifier can serve as rear speakers. Just as some fun bonus experimenting.
Both TV speaker and sound bar at the same time? Probably will not be in sync so hopefully your sound bar allows adjusting audio timing.
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

14 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2023
RobC wrote:
14 Jun 2023
Both TV speaker and sound bar at the same time? Probably will not be in sync so hopefully your sound bar allows adjusting audio timing.
I think the TV can't make use of it for some reason (totally not to make people buy more speakers, and so that the TV speaker can't be used as Center, or Left and Right), so: not that way.

Interestingly, I tried it together with my PA system + DAC via optical. There definitely was a couple of milliseconds delay. The sound can only be delayed for the TV speaker, but ironically, that's what was already behind a bit.
Anyway, it's practically useless, unless one likes that "extracted ambience" effect, when two stereo signals are a bit delayed from one-other.

That said, when testing, my PC saw the LG TV as a soundcard option via eARC (or whatever) HDMI.
Then, I'm sure I can make the soundbar system work together with the PC, too.
And the Topping interfaces have RCA out - which can control my PA system.

That makes TV (2 speakers); Soundbar system (2.1); DAC+PA system (2 full range speakers).

ASIO4ALL can handle multiple interfaces, so I can experiment with that.

One trick would be to temporarily use the TV as Center, the PA speakers as Front, and the Soundbar as Rear, with the Woofer being the Sub.
If I get a bluetooth speaker later, then I can even do a 7.1.

Now, the sound quality of a speaker-mashup is another question. x D

robussc

14 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
14 Jun 2023
I hear you. I sent a mix to my daughter for her to hear and when I asked her if she listened to it, she said yeah, on her smartphone speaker. I could have wept. But she said it sounded good, so I guess that's a win in the end... :)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

RobC

14 Jun 2023

robussc wrote:
14 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
14 Jun 2023
I hear you. I sent a mix to my daughter for her to hear and when I asked her if she listened to it, she said yeah, on her smartphone speaker. I could have wept. But she said it sounded good, so I guess that's a win in the end... :)
To add to this, I also hear some running around with mono bluetooth bass speakers.

Btw, I just realized, what I wanted, has a "wireless" bluetooth sub woofer. Which means extra latency.

Maybe I shouldn't be blinded by all that AI magic when it comes with so many compromises...

RobC

14 Jun 2023

A B plan is that I wait a little more, then grab a Logitech Z906 5.1 system.

Separate speakers, wired, properly PC compatible.

robussc

14 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
14 Jun 2023

I'm very happy to still be listening to my 5.1 system.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

RobC

14 Jun 2023

robussc wrote:
14 Jun 2023
RobC wrote:
14 Jun 2023

I'm very happy to still be listening to my 5.1 system.
Do you do 5.1 music or alike?

I played with the thought, since in the binaural world, I work on some 3D engine. Translating that to 5.1 would be fairly easy.

robussc

14 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
14 Jun 2023

I played with the thought, since in the binaural world, I work on some 3D engine. Translating that to 5.1 would be fairly easy.
Nope, basic stereo is plenty for me for music production. :) I did watch an interesting interview with Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree) as he's become a much sought after surround sound remixer, which was news to me.

RobC

16 Jun 2023

robussc wrote:
14 Jun 2023
RobC wrote:
14 Jun 2023

Nope, basic stereo is plenty for me for music production. :) I did watch an interesting interview with Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree) as he's become a much sought after surround sound remixer, which was news to me.

In the binaural world, I feel the same.
However, even I must admit that when it comes to surround systems, everyone's unique body and hearing, the sense of touch with bass indeed comes to play, and opens an extra dimension.

Also, I found out that the LG SN 4 soundbar 2.1 system is nothing special for me and has no benefits regarding what I expected, so I'll probably skip that one. And it doesn't accept additional speakers.

• Information