Any experiences with soundbars?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
fullforce

19 Jun 2023

Fuck soundbars.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

visheshl

19 Jun 2023

fullforce wrote:
19 Jun 2023
Fuck soundbars.
I like the concept of soundbars with sub, instead of sub with speakers. Why?

Cabling.

In regular 2.1 systems, the amp is built into the subwoofer, so you connect the subwoofer to the mains and then you connect your speakers via separate cables to the subwoofer and then you connect the audio source like a tv or something most often with a cable to the sub.
And the cables need to be extra long, often.

With soundbars the amp is built into the bar rather than the sub.

So no seperate speaker cables going to the sub.
Also mine has a wireless sub, so i can place it wherever i like and no cables going from the bar to the sub either.

This formfactor should have been adopted a long time ago actually, but probably at that time the amps were big and bulky, and so it made more sense to put them inside the sub.

It sure would be nice to have monitors in this form factor

RobC

20 Jun 2023

visheshl wrote:
19 Jun 2023
fullforce wrote:
19 Jun 2023
Fuck soundbars.
I like the concept of soundbars with sub, instead of sub with speakers. Why?

Cabling.

In regular 2.1 systems, the amp is built into the subwoofer, so you connect the subwoofer to the mains and then you connect your speakers via separate cables to the subwoofer and then you connect the audio source like a tv or something most often with a cable to the sub.
And the cables need to be extra long, often.

With soundbars the amp is built into the bar rather than the sub.

So no seperate speaker cables going to the sub.
Also mine has a wireless sub, so i can place it wherever i like and no cables going from the bar to the sub either.

This formfactor should have been adopted a long time ago actually, but probably at that time the amps were big and bulky, and so it made more sense to put them inside the sub.

It sure would be nice to have monitors in this form factor
The problem is, that everything is in plastic boxes these days, except the sub.

Then, the wireless solution adds delay to the signal. I'd like to mess around with any system through Reason, too, as well as games; and not just watching TV/movies, etc.

So, currently I'm thinking about a Logitech 5.1 system - but it could be that I won't be getting any speakers at all in the end. Too many compromises.

crimsonwarlock

20 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
20 Jun 2023
it could be that I won't be getting any speakers at all in the end. Too many compromises.
Don't make me say "I told you so" :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

21 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
20 Jun 2023
RobC wrote:
20 Jun 2023
it could be that I won't be getting any speakers at all in the end. Too many compromises.
Don't make me say "I told you so" :puf_bigsmile:
Yeah... I'd be happy with just a simple stereo fullrange system.

I mean, there are studio speakers, that are affordable, even if imperfect; but subwoofers cost an arm and a leg in comparison, even the cheapest one.

Why can't they make a 2.1 system with wood boxes for the price of soundbar systems?

Heater

21 Jun 2023

I got a Denon soundbar system with subwoofer. It's very good.

Not sure what folks are objecting to. It sounds a lot better than the tinny speakers on my LG OLED.

RobC

21 Jun 2023

Heater wrote:
21 Jun 2023

Not sure what folks are objecting to. It sounds a lot better than the tinny speakers on my LG OLED.
It sure would be better, but I also think that most people are used to a studio setting.

selig
RE Developer

21 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
21 Jun 2023
Heater wrote:
21 Jun 2023

It sure would be better, but I also think that most people are used to a studio setting.
But a studio often sounds different than a home 'hi-fi' system, so even when I hear a big home hi-fi it doesn't sound "right" to my ears!

Bigger point: it's a great mix reference to have IMO because many folks listen to music on these systems (I do all the time). For me the idea is to have music in my life. If I'm outside I have a pair of wireless speakers which does the job.

Bottom line, I would not use any of these home systems to mix on, but to CHECK mixes I'd give a hard YES. I'd also have to guess that more folks are going to hear your music (if they hear it at all!) on a home theater setup which typically includes a sound bar than on a sweet home hi-fi system.
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

22 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
21 Jun 2023
RobC wrote:
21 Jun 2023

But a studio often sounds different than a home 'hi-fi' system, so even when I hear a big home hi-fi it doesn't sound "right" to my ears!

Bigger point: it's a great mix reference to have IMO because many folks listen to music on these systems (I do all the time). For me the idea is to have music in my life. If I'm outside I have a pair of wireless speakers which does the job.

Bottom line, I would not use any of these home systems to mix on, but to CHECK mixes I'd give a hard YES. I'd also have to guess that more folks are going to hear your music (if they hear it at all!) on a home theater setup which typically includes a sound bar than on a sweet home hi-fi system.
I rather meant that people on here are used to a full range (or close to full range) system, with acceptable latency, and separate speakers, that have wooden housing/boxes. Plus, on my desk, there would be keyboards in front of a sound bar, which gets in the way of sound.
And I already have mediocre speakers.

All in all, a sound bar currently might be a waste of money in my case.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jun 2023

RobC wrote:
22 Jun 2023
selig wrote:
21 Jun 2023

I rather meant that people on here are used to a full range (or close to full range) system, with acceptable latency, and separate speakers, that have wooden housing/boxes. Plus, on my desk, there would be keyboards in front of a sound bar, which gets in the way of sound.

Oh wow, I may have totally misunderstood then. Yea, I would never use a sound bar as my main studio monitor for mixing (as I've said), and even if I did I wouldn't mount it where anything blocked it in any way (just as with any monitor I guess). Just as I wouldn't use a bluetooth speaker to mix on, but have checked mixes on them quite often as they are common for music playback.

So IF the question is about using a sound bar as a studio monitor, as you've already said it would be a waste of money IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

22 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2023
RobC wrote:
22 Jun 2023

Oh wow, I may have totally misunderstood then. Yea, I would never use a sound bar as my main studio monitor for mixing (as I've said), and even if I did I wouldn't mount it where anything blocked it in any way (just as with any monitor I guess). Just as I wouldn't use a bluetooth speaker to mix on, but have checked mixes on them quite often as they are common for music playback.

So IF the question is about using a sound bar as a studio monitor, as you've already said it would be a waste of money IMO.
I probably only would have used it for composing, when it comes to music. But the sub is bluetooth-only, so that means best-case +30 ms latency. It's basically useless for my setting, no matter what.

Anything studio-listening related, I still do on my IEM system, btw.

Why I still want speakers then? Cause they are more comfortable, and feeling the sub bass is more fun. Mostly for entertainment and composing/playing synths.
I definitely don't want cheap plastic sound though. But there's the keyword: that won't be cheap, no matter what.

RobC

23 Jun 2023

Good news!

For a little extra, I found the Edifier R1000T4 active stereo speakers, and the T5 active subwoofer.

All separate, affordable, ideal for a small room, all wired, and most importantly, wood boxes.

Again, this is for consumption. (Watching TV, playing video games, listening to music, playing synths.)

crimsonwarlock

23 Jun 2023

I have an Edifier wired soundset with a sub in my living room, connected to my TV. It sounds nice (not exceptional). It also has Bluetooth, so I do use it to test mixes on as well, from my phone. Works for me.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

23 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I have an Edifier wired soundset with a sub in my living room, connected to my TV. It sounds nice (not exceptional). It also has Bluetooth, so I do use it to test mixes on as well, from my phone. Works for me.
Yep, that's all I need, just something fun to listen to, for this purpose.
The TV has Bluetooth, and can forward audio via optical to my DAC, and from there, would go to the planned Edifier system. So, if I want, I can stream from my phone, too.
I'll order the speakers on monday.

• Information