The end of free Cakewalk - Bandlab announcement

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

Loque

07 Jun 2023

Will it have offline authorization? 😏
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

07 Jun 2023

I’ve got a soft spot for the Cakewalk brand, it was my first DAW back in 1998 or something . I never used it in the Sonar or Bandlab years though.

Rising Night Wave

07 Jun 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2023
I’ve got a soft spot for the Cakewalk brand, it was my first DAW back in 1998 or something . I never used it in the Sonar or Bandlab years though.
:thumbup: similar here
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

challism

07 Jun 2023

07 Jun 2023
This is my experience as well. I remember paying $99 for Cakewalk at CompUSA way back in 1998. It was basically the only software on the rack that had multiple track audio recording, so I bought it. It was my first experience with MIDI and recording audio. I still have my original Cakewalk projects saved on some CD-R somewhere in my mom's basement. One thing I really miss about Cakewalk is the music notation. I found it a great way to compose. And in later versions of Cakewalk (Sonar years) they also had the option of turning the piano roll into a guitar neck and it would show the notes as they would be played on a guitar WHICH WAS AWESOME!

That being said, I can't use Cakewalk now. I've tried a few times and I just can't. I can't really use any other DAW. They all make me feel so claustrophobic and uninspired. It's just too much work to do anything. I've been using Reason for so long, I don't have to think about most things at all. And when I do, it's fun (trying to figure out a work around or how to build a certain Combi).

Looks like Cakewalk can still be installed and used for free. I just installed it from the bandlab website. Seems to be functioning correctly. Maybe they are rolling out the paid version soon?
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
bandlab.jpg
bandlab.jpg (19.53 KiB) Viewed 998 times
bandlab3.png
bandlab3.png (139.65 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

crimsonwarlock

07 Jun 2023

challism wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2023
Looks like Cakewalk can still be installed and used for free.
And you will be still able to use the free version after the new paid versions are released. Chances are the last free version will remain available for download, but it obviously won't receive any more updates and exist in a "no longer supported" status.
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

Jackjackdaw

07 Jun 2023

Notation view was a highlight. I kind of expected all DAWs to have one after that.

challism

07 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2023
07 Jun 2023
Looks like Cakewalk can still be installed and used for free.
And you will be still able to use the free version after the new paid versions are released. Chances are the last free version will remain available for download, but it obviously won't receive any more updates and exist in a "no longer supported" status.
Good to know. That's awesome. Cakewalk is great and it's such a gift to give away for free to those who don't have money to buy something. I know I've recommended it to many beginners who don't have money to spend.
07 Jun 2023
Notation view was a highlight. I kind of expected all DAWs to have one after that.
Yeah, it was my introduction to reading (and writing) music. I'm really disappointed that most DAWs (especially Reason as I couldn't give two sh*ts about any other DAW - despite my "soft spot" for Cakewalk due to nostalgia) don't have it. The guitar fingerboard was also a great feature of the Sonar years. Too bad Reason doesn't have that. And I know it never will have either of these. Best bet is a dev will make a Player that does it.

crimsonwarlock

07 Jun 2023

07 Jun 2023
The guitar fingerboard was also a great feature of the Sonar years. Too bad Reason doesn't have that. And I know it never will have either of these. Best bet is a dev will make a Player that does it.
The fretboard view is already available (as a RE) :puf_wink:

TomeFront2_QkxzocY.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg
TomeFront2_QkxzocY.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 917 times
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

Jackjackdaw

08 Jun 2023

I think the dedicated notation software available now scratches the itch for most people. I have been using Dorico a bit and it’s like a DAW but with the staff at the front and centre. It has a mixer and vsts etc.

challism

08 Jun 2023

07 Jun 2023
07 Jun 2023
The guitar fingerboard was also a great feature of the Sonar years. Too bad Reason doesn't have that. And I know it never will have either of these. Best bet is a dev will make a Player that does it.

Tome is a Static Cling RE, isn't it? I think it's the only Static Cling RE I don't own. I wasn't aware that it did that. IIRC, it came out before Players were a thing, so it needs to be hooked up via CV inputs on the back.

crimsonwarlock

09 Jun 2023

08 Jun 2023
07 Jun 2023

Tome is a Static Cling RE, isn't it? I think it's the only Static Cling RE I don't own. I wasn't aware that it did that. IIRC, it came out before Players were a thing, so it needs to be hooked up via CV inputs on the back.
I don't have it either. If it were a player, I would have bought it the moment I came across it.
-------

challism

10 Jun 2023

09 Jun 2023
08 Jun 2023

I don't have it either. If it were a player, I would have bought it the moment I came across it.
Agreed. I wish this was available in a Player.

I think Chord Detector was supposed to basically replace Tome and Index. Too bad Marcos didn't put the fretboard utility on Chord Detector. That would have been amazing.

• Information