Keyboard amp?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2023

Guitarist as you know. Got a couple of great guitar amps but…thinking of getting a synth. Just because. No idea what yet but probably Juno-ish or a 303 or a Jupiter or something. I’ve got a Kawai electric piano with built in speakers and a big old electric organ from 1974 with a rotary. I have absolutely no clue about keyboard/ synth amps. Guess I could just have it going through my monitors. Anybody give me some advice either way. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

24 May 2023

:puf_smile: try a bass amp
r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
24 May 2023
:puf_smile: try a bass amp
That’d be a better alternative seeing as how I have a bass but no amp. Same frequencies and the like as a keyboard amp?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

24 May 2023

MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2023
... or a Jupiter or something.
So, not buying a new car then :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 May 2023
MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2023
... or a Jupiter or something.
So, not buying a new car then :lol:
Nope. That’s the worst thing I know to do.
Didn’t mean a real Jupiter. Some copy.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Murf
RE Developer

24 May 2023

Definitely a bass amp. My wife was a keyboardist for a band many moons ago, she had a Yamaha SY77 and a Peavey bass amp.
(Still have the SY77 but the amp died long ago)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2023

Ive got a Fender HotRod Deluxe and a VOX AC30 but as I understand it guitar amps are not suitable for keyboards. The bass amp thing is nice to hear as now I can justify getting one for my bass. A whole World of GAS is opening up before my eyes.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

24 May 2023

MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2023
Although several vintage synths have been “recreated” in hardware form, the mighty Jupiter is not among them (yet). This goes for the four, eight, and six. A kinda affordable Juno-ish (but much more capable) synth is the DeepMind. Get the 12 if you go for that.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 May 2023
MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2023
Although several vintage synths have been “recreated” in hardware form, the mighty Jupiter is not among them (yet). This goes for the four, eight, and six. A kinda affordable Juno-ish (but much more capable) synth is the DeepMind. Get the 12 if you go for that.
Thanks :). One step at a time though. Amp first. I’ll probably end up playing bass for the next year and forget all about the synths :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

24 May 2023

I've always used a small powered PA speaker (or 2) like the classic 15" Mackie. Any decent two-way system (or three way if you want to go big) works for this. Most will include volume knobs and some go further - but you really just need loud/clear sound. And if you really need to move some air playing synth bass lines, most similar systems have a sub option which is probably not as overkill as it sounds in the context of the typical live stage volume.

What I liked about the Mackie is I could use them as floor wedges for bigger gigs, one on each side sounded glorious and kept me from slamming one ear all night. Otherwise you may consider a stand mount, or get a sub and pole mount into that - you've got so many options with this approach IMO.

I've also used a couple of Cerwin Vegas 15" with a separate power amp, but the powered monitors are just too simple and I'll never go back!

It's basically the perfect guitar combo amp but for keyboards IMO, including the handle to carry it around. ;)

Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

24 May 2023

Bass amps work but it’s still a guitar input so that can be a bit loud. Many of us keys players are using powered speakers. Much more sound level and often times better sounding than a keyboard amp for much cheaper.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2023

QVprod wrote:
24 May 2023
Bass amps work but it’s still a guitar input so that can be a bit loud. Many of us keys players are using powered speakers. Much more sound level and often times better sounding than a keyboard amp for much cheaper.
Like my Yamaha HS50Ms?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

stillifegaijin

24 May 2023

Definitely not a bass amp.

Roland Keyboard amps - https://www.roland.com/us/categories/am ... mplifiers/

Various sizes and options and any of them will sound great.

Powered speakers are not a bad choice either but the Roland amps are great.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 May 2023

stillifegaijin wrote:
24 May 2023
How come? I really am interested in why.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

stillifegaijin

24 May 2023

MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2023
stillifegaijin wrote:
24 May 2023
How come? I really am interested in why.
I suspect it's the type of speakers. Bass amps don't generally have horn tweeters for the high end. I never dug too deep into the technical difference but I've been playing synths live since the early 90s and I've been in the unfortunate position to have to use bass amps a few times and it just sounds bad. Not as clear as keyboard amps or powered speakers. Probably because bass amps are generally 15" speakers or a few 10" speakers but no tweeters. While keyboard amps and powered speakers are designed for more full range frequencies and have a large, maybe 12" or 15" speaker, plus a tweeter for the high end. There might be less obvious differences too but I'm not entirely sure.

The frequency range of both guitar and bass is very limited compared to synthesizers. I would not sing through a bass amp for the same reason.

QVprod

25 May 2023

MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2023
QVprod wrote:
24 May 2023
Like my Yamaha HS50Ms?
No that’s a studio monitor. Not good for live use. Powered speaker as in PA speakers used for live sound.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 May 2023

QVprod wrote:
25 May 2023
MrFigg wrote:
24 May 2023

Like my Yamaha HS50Ms?
No that’s a studio monitor. Not good for live use. Powered speaker as in PA speakers used for live sound.
Aaa. I knew it couldn’t be that easy. What about a bass amp with “full range”. From what I can find a lot of newer bass amps have this compared to older amps. Like turn up the treble and mids and turn down the bass.
Maybe I can just plug the synth into the instrument input in my Balance and go through the monitors that way?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

25 May 2023

MrFigg wrote:
25 May 2023
Maybe I can just plug the synth into the instrument input in my Balance and go through the monitors that way?
You need an amp and cab for a guitar, but not for a synth. When I used hardware synths I always played them through my studio monitoring, and when playing live my rig just went into the PA system. Currently, my RD-150, Waldorf Pico and K1RII are just hooked up to my Scarlett 18i20.
-------

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 May 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 May 2023
MrFigg wrote:
25 May 2023
You need an amp and cab for a guitar, but not for a synth. When I used hardware synths I always played them through my studio monitoring, and when playing live my rig just went into the PA system. Currently, my RD-150, Waldorf Pico and K1RII are just hooked up to my Scarlett 18i20.
Great. Home use. So direct into the audio interface and through the monitors.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

25 May 2023

MrFigg wrote:
25 May 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 May 2023

:thumbup: :puf_bigsmile:
-------

guitfnky

25 May 2023

agree that a PA speaker is probably the easiest way to go. there are plenty of good, powerful, and affordable options out there. just think twice before considering one of those giant Roland keyboard amps on wheels, especially if you want to take it anywhere. our keyboardist used one for years and it was a huge pain in the ass to cart around. also had the added benefit of being completely unnecessary. 🙃
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

huggermugger

25 May 2023

For years I've used a pair of vintage Roland Cube 60s (with 12" Celestions). I set them up off the floor, spread them 6-8 feet apart, bring the mids down a bit, boost the bottom end a bit, and I get gorgeous thick stereo sound.

joeyluck

25 May 2023

What will the keyboard amp be used for?

For live use, most venues will put the keys into DI boxes to go into the house system and give you a monitor (wedge or in-ear mix).

Something else to keep in mind is that keys/synths are often using stereo effects, so if wanting to amplify yourself, you might want more than one speaker.

I used to have the large Roland KC keyboard amp like guitfnky mentions and I sold it for those reasons. If I was gigging, I was going into DI boxes anyways, for band practices I was doing the same and going into the practice PA. And then also the keyboard amp was mono, so even at home I was wanting stereo speakers. I ended up getting 2 Roland CM-30s.

stillifegaijin

25 May 2023

MrFigg wrote:
25 May 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 May 2023

Yes, if this is for home use and recording only, not for live monitoring, then you absolutely do not need an amp of any sort. Straight into an audio interface and/or a mixer and through monitors is all you need.

Keyboard amps are really only advantageous for live personal monitoring. And as mentioned above, aren't always even needed for that.

DaveyG

25 May 2023

I immediately thought of bass amps because that was the "wisdom" when I were a lad. But that might be because bass amps were cheap and readily available in the local music shop, which was the only shop you used because there was no internet and you had no transport.

Mr Figg, buy a bass amp and play bass for some weeks/months. Then you can buy a synth and try it through your AC30, your bass amp and your monitor speakers.

As an aside, does anyone else wish they were 9 years old and had Mr Figg for a dad?
"Dad, can I have guitar lessons and play with your stuff?"

My dad thought music was evil and hated that I spent my clothing allowance on records. Even when I earned some money from music he refused to be impressed...

• Information