Building a hardware compressor, ain't it fun or what?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
miyaru

16 Apr 2023

Right now I'm building a hardware compressor.
It is a kit from Das Musikding from Germany.

You get all the parts, and can buy a housing which is pre-drilled.

I spraypainted the housing gold, the same as my last project as the spraycan is expensive and not empty :thumbup:

Today I soldered the main board and the sub board, and I plan on lettering the housing. I payd €40,= for the package, and if I would buy a comparable compressor it would set me back at least €150,=

Beside this it is fun to build stuff yourself, I learned it from watching Youtube video's.

Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

moalla

17 Apr 2023

Hey Miyaru, can you post some examples this week maybe and what´s your experience with its sound is it only usable for guitar and drums, or as well for voice tracking or eventually as send effect for the mixbuss? I´m really interested to hear more about your project, cause I´m now updating my vocal and mastering chain completly more and more and I´m looking for the best cost effective ways to push and give my stuff more cream ;)
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

miyaru

17 Apr 2023

This one is modified to serve as a compressor for bass guitar. I swapped two condensors to other values to serve this duty.

As musician, I am primary a bassplayer who plays a bit of guitar and a mini bit of keyboards.

Are you looking for a new vocal compressor? I would look in an optical compressor for this purpose. There are many LA2A clones out there, which are excellent.

Also the compressor I’m building is in terms of impedance and operating level made for instruments like bass and in a way for guitar.

If I am finished with the compressor, I will post a little piece of bassline to show what it does. But first have to finnish it, and test and adjust it.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 May 2023

try swap some germanium diodes, I get a lot from scraps and they are very good for distortion pedals.

• Information