New computer build. Best SSD setup solution to optimize Reason usage ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Voyager

31 Jan 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of building a new computer based on a 5600X cpu which i already acquired. The computer will be under W10 and will be mainly used for Reason and also playing one old game on steam i like to play time to time.

I didn't purchased the motherboard nor any SSD yet but the motherbard i'm looking at have 2 NVMe M2 slots, 1 Pcie 4.0X4 and the second is 3.0x4.

Now note that on the computer i currently use and that will be replaced i use a Samsung EVO 2.5 SSD 250gb. Like i said except Reason, samples, refills and steam installed i have pretty much nothing else on it.

I'm not super tech savvy and i've read various things about this topic and i would like some advices on which direction to go.

I've read many thing like installing the OS to a specific SSD and samples, media etc to another storage. Or installing the OS on a partition and the rest on a different one. On the other hand, some say that with today SSD speed, especially those M2 NVMe this habit has become totaly useless and everything can be installed on the same SSD and partition.

So i would like to know what is my best option ? Like i said above in my disposal i have 2 M2 slots and also my current 2.5 SSD.

Should i get rid of my 2.5 SSD and install everything on the Pcie 4.0X4 with or without partition ? install the OS on the Pcie 4.0X4 and use the 3.0x4 to install my samples , refills and steam on it ?

What would be the most optimized and best setup to get the best out of Reason and in general use ?

jam-s

31 Jan 2023

I'd get a new (larger) M2 NVME SSD and an enclosure for the 2.5"SSD to use it as an external drive for backup or file transfer.

For best performance using two M2 SSDs would be the way to go. One for the OS and plugins and one for sample content/project files.

• Information