DAW Recommendations to host reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
BeReasonable

14 Jan 2023

Main requirement: Has to run on windows.

Been using reason since version 2, record since it was introduced. I have hundreds and hundreds of songs built up over the years. I wanted to stay with reason since everything was already there for me. However reason keeps losing / changing the settings of multiple vsts from multiple vendors, and I can't count on things sounding the same when I reopen a song. It's a big waste of time going through multiple vsts and checking to make sure everything is where it should be every time I restart a project.

So the biggest requirement is ease of integration with a bunch of songs that are already established in reason - routing the audio into the new daw, working with the sequencer (do you import everything into that daw or use reason's built in sequencer?). Songs are 80% midi, 20% mix of midi with audio.

sublunar

14 Jan 2023

Have you submitted bug reports?

BeReasonable

14 Jan 2023

Multiple times. Others have reported similar problems.

Been testing it this morning. Sometimes it loads up the right preset with the wrong settings. Other times it loads up the wrong (internal vst) preset with the wrong settings.

DaveyG

14 Jan 2023

There are lots of DAWs out there which will host the RRP without problems but moving hundreds of Reason songs into another DAW is not trivial and will probably drive you nuts.

You'd be better off installing Reason 11 for all your pre R12 songs. R11 and R12 will happily co-exist on the same machine - the only caveat is that you can only have one version of the RRP installed.

BeReasonable

14 Jan 2023

DaveyG wrote:
14 Jan 2023
There are lots of DAWs out there which will host the RRP without problems but moving hundreds of Reason songs into another DAW is not trivial and will probably drive you nuts.

You'd be better off installing Reason 11 for all your pre R12 songs. R11 and R12 will happily co-exist on the same machine - the only caveat is that you can only have one version of the RRP installed.
The problem is a I need VST support and I can't get that before 12.5. Before 12.5 I tried using the waves wrapper which just caused different problems.

This is insane. I've tried it with VSTs inside a combinator, outside a combinator, inside a mix track, inside and outside the mastering sections. I've created new instances of these VSTS and they lose their settings, meanwhile two other instances that are on a mix track have not lost their settings once.

RobC

14 Jan 2023

Reapah'!!! Cause 768! : P (If you are a futuristic sound designer / engineer, that is.)

BeReasonable

14 Jan 2023

BeReasonable wrote:
14 Jan 2023
DaveyG wrote:
14 Jan 2023

The problem is a I need VST support and I can't get that before 12.5. Before 12.5 I tried using the waves wrapper which just caused different problems.

This is insane. I've tried it with VSTs inside a combinator, outside a combinator, inside a mix track, inside and outside the mastering sections. I've created new instances of these VSTS and they lose their settings, meanwhile two other instances that are on a mix track have not lost their settings once.
I meant "vst3 support" not just regular vst.

I spent more time trying to figure out a pattern why sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't. Ended up deleting the offending vst for a second time, then saved without it, then went back in and placed it back in the combinator. Then I closed it out and repopened it again and it restored the settings. Of course this all might change a few days or hours for now.

The worst things about this bug is that it is unpredictable - it's not just one manufacturer or vst it happens to, and it doesn't happen all the time. If I could find a pattern I could at least work around it but so far I can't find one.

Goriila Texas

14 Jan 2023

Reason 12 crashes Studio One v5-6 as you launch S1 it will freeze while Reason is loading and you will have to reboot your computer. Reason 12 will crash your computer when loading RRP as an instrument or effect. They supposedly fixed RRP crashing Bitwig though.

BeReasonable wrote:
14 Jan 2023
Main requirement: Has to run on windows.

Been using reason since version 2, record since it was introduced. I have hundreds and hundreds of songs built up over the years. I wanted to stay with reason since everything was already there for me. However reason keeps losing / changing the settings of multiple vsts from multiple vendors, and I can't count on things sounding the same when I reopen a song. It's a big waste of time going through multiple vsts and checking to make sure everything is where it should be every time I restart a project.

So the biggest requirement is ease of integration with a bunch of songs that are already established in reason - routing the audio into the new daw, working with the sequencer (do you import everything into that daw or use reason's built in sequencer?). Songs are 80% midi, 20% mix of midi with audio.

Jac459

15 Jan 2023

For me, as my signature is saying, Bitwig complement the RRP awesomely well. They run together very well and bitwig bring the top modernity readon doesn't have (MPE, m1 support, regular enrichment of awesome features and crazy good modulation framework).
And the vst presets stays the same, not bug whatsoever.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

freshkidblaze

27 Jan 2023

[rackextension][/rackextension]
Jac459 wrote:
15 Jan 2023
For me, as my signature is saying, Bitwig complement the RRP awesomely well. They run together very well and bitwig bring the top modernity readon doesn't have (MPE, m1 support, regular enrichment of awesome features and crazy good modulation framework).
And the vst presets stays the same, not bug whatsoever.
Bitwig and the RRP is the best pairing of the rrp in my opinion.

Routing multi outputs, using players, and recording midi from players is Extremely fast compared to studio one , fl studio, and ableton. I have those daws and never used the rack a lot with them, but when I got bitwig I started using it for every session.

Jac459

27 Jan 2023

freshkidblaze wrote:
27 Jan 2023

Routing multi outputs, using players, and recording midi from players is Extremely fast compared to studio one , fl studio, and ableton. I have those daws and never used the rack a lot with them, but when I got bitwig I started using it for every session.
Yes, yesterday itself I was using the reason chord sequencer to drive the arpegiator of bitwig, it is so easy.

And there are synths in Reason, I just can't let go, even if I have a lot (too much) vsts. Friktion and grain being very much the most importants.

One thing I don't use much anymore is reason effects, I think they are behind now compared to the competition (in particular with stuffs like the spectral suit of bitwig)... You agree?
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

freshkidblaze

27 Jan 2023

Jac459 wrote:
27 Jan 2023
freshkidblaze wrote:
27 Jan 2023

One thing I don't use much anymore is reason effects, I think they are behind now compared to the competition (in particular with stuffs like the spectral suit of bitwig)... You agree?
Yeah, I rarely use reason's stock effects now but I do use my 3rd party reason effects + the stock utilities. The only reason stock effect I actively use is the rv7000 its still one of the best reverbs imo.

Jac459

28 Jan 2023

freshkidblaze wrote:
27 Jan 2023
Jac459 wrote:
27 Jan 2023

Yeah, I rarely use reason's stock effects now but I do use my 3rd party reason effects + the stock utilities. The only reason stock effect I actively use is the rv7000 its still one of the best reverbs imo.
Yeah actually you are right. RV7000 stays strong.
I was more thinking of Synchronous, Alligator... I used to like them a lot but in fact there are far better alternatives (snaphead for example).
The one I still use from time to time on top of RV7000 is The Echo, I like the Roll mode, it can create funny effect to a melody.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information