New Mac: stick with macOS Monterey or upgrade to Ventura?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
DJMaytag

29 Dec 2022

Just got a new Mac today, and I didn't realize this was even going to be an option. It came with Monterey 12.5.1, which surprised me. Should I leave it as is, or go ahead and update? I only plan to use this Mac for spreadsheets (work stuff) and Reason.

huggermugger

29 Dec 2022

I would stick with Monterey for a while. It's still supported by Apple (security updates, etc), and has been around long enough for developers (incl Apple) to iron the bugs out.

geronimo

29 Dec 2022

Under Ventura, the old soundcard in Firewire are not supported .

DJMaytag

31 Dec 2022

So far, only one set of plugins is NOT compatible with Monterey yet (D16's older drum machines and their Sigmund tap delay FX).

For Ventura compatibility, only Arturia (all plugins) and sold older Native Instruments plugins (Massive & FM8) are not ready yet.

RME is on top of their audio interface drivers game, with Ventura support for their current and a huge chunk of their legacy devices.

RTP-MIDI is nice for not having to worry much about drivers/app support for iConnectivity devices.

hamsterfactor

01 Jan 2023

thanks, my mac studio came with ventura, and i'm still in the process of doing a clean install.
DJMaytag wrote:
31 Dec 2022
For Ventura compatibility, only Arturia (all plugins) […]
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

kuhliloach

01 Jan 2023

Most all developers have their stuff working fine on the newest macOS Ventura except a couple of really lazy ones.

DJMaytag

01 Jan 2023

I don't know if I'd consider Arturia and Native Instruments to be "lazy." I get why overhauling some old plugins might be a bit much for a smaller developer like D16.

That said, does anyone know WHY there's an issue with Ventura? What's the big change from Monterey to Ventura? Is Ventura M1/M2/Mx only?

moneykube

01 Jan 2023

I was forced to update from Catalina to Monterey because of Khs, Native Instruments and a few others... I only lost about 3 plugs I never use. I thought more might get lost. Apple appears to support an OS for 3 years... so... I am sticking with Monterey until I am forced to update again. The update to Monterey caused me to lose two full days> upgrading all my applications and plugins... :shock:
I am not even considering Ventura !!!!... I am using Intel and not the M1 chipset though.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information