Bitwig year.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Jac459

22 Dec 2022

https://youtube.com/shorts/rN9k0C5ZTHU?feature=share

Funny video showing tthe key features delivered to bitwig in 2022.

Bitwig with the RRP is such a joy to play with.... Dunno if it makes me a good musician but pretty sure that it is making me a better musician than i am supposed to be.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

RobC

22 Dec 2022

Reason is still king for me, since I know it best. But yeah, other DAWs than our main one, usually offer some extra; so we gotta use as many as we can/need.

I like Ableton's stretching feature, where we can make the music stretch to real life performances' tempo.
I like Reaper's scripting possibility.
Reaktor seems cool, but I'm more interested in scripting.
I heard of Bitwig that it's even more flexible than Reason.

crimsonwarlock

22 Dec 2022

RobC wrote:
22 Dec 2022
You can use (a part of) Reaper scripting in Reason :puf_wink:

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

22 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Dec 2022
RobC wrote:
22 Dec 2022
You can use (a part of) Reaper scripting in Reason :puf_wink:

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
Ah, right, I forgot! Still, Reaper's flexible oversampling feature is curious. : )

Jac459

22 Dec 2022

RobC wrote:
22 Dec 2022
With bitwig you can modulate everything with everything in every possible way. Even if I love the rack, i must admit the modulations features of bitwig are even better.

But, my favorite, feature of bitwig is..... the RRP. What I mean by that is that if i had to chose between reason and bitwig it would have been excruciatingly painfull. Thanks to the RRP, I don't have to. The DAW features of reason are my least favorite part of the product, i dont use their great time stretching much and all the DAW edition limitations are there. I was a fan of their ssl mixer but I don't miss it. All the rest is genius for me, the REs, their default synths, the capacity to route the CV, i really love it.
And it is very different from bitwig so it really adds inspirations...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

RobC

22 Dec 2022

Jac459 wrote:
22 Dec 2022
RobC wrote:
22 Dec 2022
With bitwig you can modulate everything with everything in every possible way. Even if I love the rack, i must admit the modulations features of bitwig are even better.

But, my favorite, feature of bitwig is..... the RRP. What I mean by that is that if i had to chose between reason and bitwig it would have been excruciatingly painfull. Thanks to the RRP, I don't have to. The DAW features of reason are my least favorite part of the product, i dont use their great time stretching much and all the DAW edition limitations are there. I was a fan of their ssl mixer but I don't miss it. All the rest is genius for me, the REs, their default synths, the capacity to route the CV, i really love it.
And it is very different from bitwig so it really adds inspirations...
Oddly, I'd probably miss the sequencer the most. Producing is fun with it. Though yeah, the more modulation possibilities, the better.
The stretching? That can be used separately. Honestly, we don't have to choose one over the other either - unless we want to do everything live in one project.

Jac459

22 Dec 2022

I agree that producing with reason sequencer is fun too :-). Don't expect me to say bad thing about reason, it is a great product. It sounds awesome while being extra fun... I am a trackpad user and I loooove to be able to pinch zoom in/focus, and pinch zoom out very intuitively with Bitwig. That's the feature I would miss a lot with reason. Reason has it for vertical zoom but I don't know why it is a different pattern for the horizontal zoom. Somehow I don't like it (but it is just me).
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

polysix

22 Dec 2022

I use bitwig for over two years. After on Reason for 10 years. I go more and more back to reason. For me is the Bitwig DAW modulation system with small pieces too much. I have a lot of fun, tweaking knobs connect adsr with everyone... But at the end nothing fineshed well for me. If I play some notes in Reason instruments ideas seems to come alone...

But both are great. For me is bitwig the DAW for modular and more technical view.. Reason to make music, tracks and songs, in a simple way.

Jac459

22 Dec 2022

I actually kind of agree. Reason has this kind of vibe that make you more productive. I have been long weeks stuck on songs with Bitwig and finally less productive than I was with Reason. Yet, feeling that Bitwig was much more powerful (in particular when you have Bitwig AND RRP). It is like having too much features or too. much colours to paint.
I am now in a phase where I am again productive with Bitwig and in a way I feel even better than my reason time.

I think at the end, the lesson is that both these DAWs, as well as Ableton, FL, Reaper, S1, Lx and others are so powerful, it is just a matter on how you feel them, how they work with you, because they will never be the limitation...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Quarmat
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2022

I own many DAWs and Bitwig is the "other" DAW I am more proficient on. It has a more friendly UI compared to others, lots of possibilities, but, as others said, Reason is the only one that sparks creativity. Their stock and R+ devices are beautiful to see, have lots of "personality", have memorable names, recognizable colours, a unique style each one and yet they all stand cool together, plus the rack makes you see all of them at the same time, working together, in a logical, tidy, comprensible fashion, no floating windows here and there. You may say, what does this visual stuff has to do with making music? Well I'd say a lot: you can have inspo wherever you are if inspo hits you, but in reason it is much, much more easy to go find inspo when you need it. I fire a Thor or a Grain just to look at them and in few minutes I have ideas surfacing. Never, ever happens in any pther daw. If you are a guitarist or bassist you may agree on what I am about to say: it is much more difficul to get in the flow on a ugly guitar even if it is a techincally perfect one, while on your trusty, with all its scratches and dents, you feel cool, you look cool, and the groove flows in your fingers.

So, while Bitwig + RRP seems the best of both worlds, I tend to stay in Reason DAW. Its sequencer limitations do not prevent me for getting the things I want, and having the rack, the SSL mizer and the sequencer working together seamlessly it's all I need to make music.

EdGrip

23 Dec 2022

Jac459 wrote:
22 Dec 2022
because they will never be the limitation...
100%!

Jac459

23 Dec 2022

Quarmat wrote:
23 Dec 2022
I own many DAWs and Bitwig is the "other" DAW I am more proficient on. It has a more friendly UI compared to others, lots of possibilities, but, as others said, Reason is the only one that sparks creativity. Their stock and R+ devices are beautiful to see, have lots of "personality", have memorable names, recognizable colours, a unique style each one and yet they all stand cool together, plus the rack makes you see all of them at the same time, working together, in a logical, tidy, comprensible fashion, no floating windows here and there. You may say, what does this visual stuff has to do with making music? Well I'd say a lot: you can have inspo wherever you are if inspo hits you, but in reason it is much, much more easy to go find inspo when you need it. I fire a Thor or a Grain just to look at them and in few minutes I have ideas surfacing. Never, ever happens in any pther daw. If you are a guitarist or bassist you may agree on what I am about to say: it is much more difficul to get in the flow on a ugly guitar even if it is a techincally perfect one, while on your trusty, with all its scratches and dents, you feel cool, you look cool, and the groove flows in your fingers.

So, while Bitwig + RRP seems the best of both worlds, I tend to stay in Reason DAW. Its sequencer limitations do not prevent me for getting the things I want, and having the rack, the SSL mizer and the sequencer working together seamlessly it's all I need to make music.
That makes a lot of sense mate! I love the Reason only schema. I mean by that no VST. Just pure Reason + RE... But then you miss out on some pure genius work like Pigments, Vital, Serum, Novum, ... You actually don't need them to do great music, but they are damn fun...

But now I must admit that I feel even better with Bitwig, it is also a question of habits and taste but I just start Bitwig and my brain is generating dopamine. It is like pavlov reflex... And then, if I start the RRP, I start to smile stupidly...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

polysix

23 Dec 2022

In the past I have the feeling that Reason itself has a little bit lush sound where I miss in instruments some like deep and in the front sound. But more and more I feel that Reason has a nice organic and "real" instrument feeling. That's only me I thing lots of people creats cool sounds in bitwig devices (I m not working with third plugins) but i think the stuff with reason comes is more musical, nature sounding in a good way. I miss a lot the bitwig arpeggiator, drag and drop, able to run smooth on my surface tablet (but a shame that for tablets there don't come better updates from bitwig) and yeah... I like clips. But the sequencer in Reason I can't say I miss something. So simple.
A shame that nektar tech do not update there P line. It was a great controller.. The controller scripts from moss for bitwig is a big +

• Information