Korg Opsix vs Reason Studios Algorithm

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
polysix

20 Dec 2022

Hello, my dears,

can one of you help me decide if it's worth buying the korg opsix in terms of sound? I own the algorithm but somehow find the Korg Opsix nicer because it allows direct access (Level and Tune are important) then the filter models like MS20 (I think Korg made it very nicely)... or is it not worth it anymore rack extension? Do you possibly have both? VST3 for Opsix is now also possible... And the Korg Opsix also seems very assertive to me (what the demos suggested to me)

any opinion is welcome ..I would be particularly interested in what you don't like :-)

raymondh

20 Dec 2022

Even if the sound is exactly the same, if the user experience of Opsix is more inspiring to you than Algoritm, then it is worth buying.
More inspiring = enhance your creativity & productivity = (probably) better music.

That said, I would expect the sound to be different. I haven't tried Opsix but from my experience with the Modwave and what I've read about the Wavestate, Korg adds a whole bunch of goodies in these machines, such as different envelope curves. Their filter modelling is very good as you say too. CPU usage on the Modwave Native (=VST) is pretty high, not sure what it is like on the Opsix so you may want to check that out. Algoritm is pretty efficient.

Algoritm, PX7, Arturia DX7V, Rob Papen Blue, Dexed, Blamsoft Zero all sound different to me, I reckon it's good to have multiple FM synths :)

If you like FM synths and have the budget, I reckon owning the hardware and the VST is an awesome combo. Sound is the same, with the tactile inspiration and immediacy and DSP of the hardware, combined with the easy programmability and DAW multi-instance of the VST. At least that's what I've found with the Modwave, and expect that would be true for the Opsix too.

polysix

21 Dec 2022

raymondh wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Even if the sound is exactly the same, if the user experience of Opsix is more inspiring to you than Algoritm, then it is worth buying.
More inspiring = enhance your creativity & productivity = (probably) better music.

That said, I would expect the sound to be different. I haven't tried Opsix but from my experience with the Modwave and what I've read about the Wavestate, Korg adds a whole bunch of goodies in these machines, such as different envelope curves. Their filter modelling is very good as you say too. CPU usage on the Modwave Native (=VST) is pretty high, not sure what it is like on the Opsix so you may want to check that out. Algoritm is pretty efficient.

Algoritm, PX7, Arturia DX7V, Rob Papen Blue, Dexed, Blamsoft Zero all sound different to me, I reckon it's good to have multiple FM synths :)

If you like FM synths and have the budget, I reckon owning the hardware and the VST is an awesome combo. Sound is the same, with the tactile inspiration and immediacy and DSP of the hardware, combined with the easy programmability and DAW multi-instance of the VST. At least that's what I've found with the Modwave, and expect that would be true for the Opsix too.
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Yeah it seems a no brainer. Today it is under 500 €.. And FM with hands on level and pitch gives a good "performing" control that other don't have. The Megafm for tweaking the knobs is nice too but the sound is for my ears to gritty.
Shame that Reason Studios Algorithm don't have full cc for alle parameters. For my nektar p4 I miss a remote map but the most of things you can't map.
For Sounddesign with my fingers, a good sounding fm with modern specs I thing nothing works like the opsix today as a standalone hardware.
Next year a faster pc for new Vst like korgs new ones (opsix, wavestate) is on my plan...

jlgrimes

25 Dec 2022

polysix wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Hello, my dears,

can one of you help me decide if it's worth buying the korg opsix in terms of sound? I own the algorithm but somehow find the Korg Opsix nicer because it allows direct access (Level and Tune are important) then the filter models like MS20 (I think Korg made it very nicely)... or is it not worth it anymore rack extension? Do you possibly have both? VST3 for Opsix is now also possible... And the Korg Opsix also seems very assertive to me (what the demos suggested to me)

any opinion is welcome ..I would be particularly interested in what you don't like :-)
The synths seem somewhat similar as they both are FM/Subtractive hybrids and does a mix/match of oscillators/filters. My guess is Algorithm is more powerful with more oscillators but Opsix hardware would give you more control and would probably be fun as it makes programming FM like an analog synth. Reason Algorithm uses this same concept though.

Jac459

26 Dec 2022

polysix wrote:
20 Dec 2022
can one of you help me decide if it's worth buying the korg opsix in terms of sound? I own the algorithm but somehow find the Korg Opsix nicer because it allows direct access (Level and Tune are important) then the filter models like MS20 (I think Korg made it very nicely)...
You probably know it but remember than the MS20 Filter cooked by Arturia is currently free for Christmas... It is a no-brainer download...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

jlgrimes

26 Dec 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
25 Dec 2022
polysix wrote:
20 Dec 2022
Hello, my dears,

The synths seem somewhat similar as they both are FM/Subtractive hybrids and does a mix/match of oscillators/filters. My guess is Algorithm is more powerful with more oscillators (actually Opsix has a huge amount of flexibility with its six Oscs and more varied filters and feedback control and huge variety of effects) but Opsix hardware would give you more control and would probably be fun as it makes programming FM like an analog synth. Reason Algorithm uses this same concept though.

• Information