Reason Controller Keyboards

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Heater

22 Nov 2022

Was thinking about getting a Novation Launchkey 49 to control Reason. Is that a good choice?
What are folks using?

Arpeg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

I don't have it myself but It is one of the supported Midi keyboards/control surfaces which also supports display/LED feedback in Reason with the Remote protocol so that's good news.
I was wondering how the faders and knobs function as in do they have a soft takeover type thing like Nektar Impact, thanks in advance

selig
RE Developer

22 Nov 2022

I’m currently using a Novation SL mkIII and it works great for my particular needs.
Selig Audio, LLC

miyaru

22 Nov 2022

I'm using two controllers: for my keyboard needs I use an Akai Professional LPK 25 Wireless, and for all other needs to control and have feedback, I use an Ableton Push2 runner PusheR2 software.

Especially the Push2/PusheR2 combi is magnificent and brilliant!!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Arpeg
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
22 Nov 2022
I’m currently using a Novation SL mkIII and it works great for my particular needs.
Ahh, I remember you talking about this keyboard maybe last year. May I ask what are the faders like? Do they have a soft takeover similar to Nektar's? Do the faders need it as in it works a different way.
Thank you

gkillmaster

22 Nov 2022

I'm thinking of getting a Launchkey Mini MkIII since they are on sale for less than $100.(I do wonder if the price drop signifies a Mk 4 around the corner though) And for $20 more I could get the Nektar Impact LX Mini.

Does the Mini Mk3 work well with Reason? I also use Live. Curious which would be the better choice.

Thanks for feedback and not meaning to hijack thread. Thought it might be useful for others as well.

Faastwalker

22 Nov 2022

Just bought an Arturia Minilab 3 to replace a Minilab 2. It works really well with Reason.

Very nice little controller, if you are okay with the number of keys, pads & controls.

selig
RE Developer

23 Nov 2022

Arpeg wrote:
22 Nov 2022
selig wrote:
22 Nov 2022
Ahh, I remember you talking about this keyboard maybe last year. May I ask what are the faders like? Do they have a soft takeover similar to Nektar's? Do the faders need it as in it works a different way.
Thank you
The faders jump directly to the new value when moved - BUT, I don't use them often because there are no labels for the. However, there are 8 rotary continuous knobs that are mapped and often have multiple 'rows', and these are labeled and behave like analog knobs in that they work starting at the current value and immediately affect the assigned/labeled parameter. You also see the current value although it's shown in MIDI 0-127 ranges.
That said, I mostly just want the transport to work, so I may not be the best person to reflect on these additional features. Happy to answer any other questions best I can!
Selig Audio, LLC

PropitiousME

23 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
23 Nov 2022
Arpeg wrote:
22 Nov 2022

Thank you
The faders jump directly to the new value when moved - BUT, I don't use them often because there are no labels for the. However, there are 8 rotary continuous knobs that are mapped and often have multiple 'rows', and these are labeled and behave like analog knobs in that they work starting at the current value and immediately affect the assigned/labeled parameter. You also see the current value although it's shown in MIDI 0-127 ranges.
That said, I mostly just want the transport to work, so I may not be the best person to reflect on these additional features. Happy to answer any other questions best I can!
Does Reason not support soft takeover? I don't use a control surface since my FaderPort V2 isn't properly supported (one of the few things that bugs me). I know that KB has like 4 different pick-up modes:
  • Off (Default): Pickup is off for faders and Mod Wheel.
  • On: Pickup is on for both faders and Mod Wheel.
  • Faders: Fader pickup is on, but pickup is off for the Mod Wheel.
  • Mod Wheel: Pickup is on for the Mod Wheel but off for faders.
NOTE: Please note the SL MkIII’s fader pickup behaviour does not apply when using InControl. The controller will therefore adopt the pickup behaviour of HUI or your DAW.

Just seems like something that should be sorted with the DAW considering it has scripted support from RS? That's a nice bit of kit. Odd. :geek:

jam-s

23 Nov 2022

PropitiousME wrote:
23 Nov 2022
Does Reason not support soft takeover?
It does support this, but it has to be implemented in the Remote/luacodec for the respective controller and sadly only a few manufacturers went the extra mile.

PropitiousME

23 Nov 2022

jam-s wrote:
23 Nov 2022
PropitiousME wrote:
23 Nov 2022
Does Reason not support soft takeover?
It does support this, but it has to be implemented in the Remote/luacodec for the respective controller and sadly only a few manufacturers went the extra mile.
Good to know, thanks.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
23 Nov 2022
Arpeg wrote:
22 Nov 2022

Thank you
Thank you so much for the detailed answer, Selig. Very interested in this Novation as it does have Reason installation set up, aftertouch semi-weighted keys, a built in 8 track sequencer, 2 x CV, midi in/out/thru and enough programmable parameters that I can get a visual from :thumbup:

Arpeg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2022

Faastwalker wrote:
22 Nov 2022
Just bought an Arturia Minilab 3 to replace a Minilab 2. It works really well with Reason.

Very nice little controller, if you are okay with the number of keys, pads & controls.
I really like this but the knobs jump, no? Is it really a big deal with this particular controller, as in, does it work out ok anyway? Great controller nonetheless

• Information